Oric 1 keys

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
BrokenJaw
Private

Oric 1 keys

Post by BrokenJaw »

Decided the time was now to check my Retro stuff status so dragged the boxes out of the loft so to speak.
Having fun recapping and modding working out what system can do and what's still needed etc.
However can anyone help had a little trouble retro-brighting my Oric 1 and melted most of my keys! spacebar makes a lovely smiley!
So looking for a replacement keys for the whole board any ideas?
Steve M
Squad Leader

Re: Oric 1 keys

Post by Steve M »

There's a chance I might have something but I won't have time to look until next year.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

At least it's an Oric 1, in worse case the keys are way simpler to reproduce than Atmos keys, they could easily be 3D printed to something very close to the originals.
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

Oh no, don't give me ideas, I already spent too much time on 3D modeling and printing stuff :mrgreen:
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

mmu_man wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:44 pm Oh no, don't give me ideas, I already spent too much time on 3D modeling and printing stuff :mrgreen:
Ok, I will not give you any ideas, so I will keep for me the idea of a standard keycap adapter which would fit the shape of the slits on the Oric 1 top plate, but with a (+) pattern on top to make it possible to plug standard Cherry type keycaps on top.
BrokenJaw
Private

Post by BrokenJaw »

Thanks Steve if you find any , luckily it was my Oric 1 not my Atmos I decided to attack first? I may not retro my Acorn Atom until I have a bit more experience - could put it outside for a couple of years.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Well, Retrobrighting an Atmos would probably give no benefit: I've never seen an Atmos change color.
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

As for ORIC-1s, are we really sure there's only one color of them? This light grey on mine I'm quite sure they aren't all alike…
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Some seem to get affected by light or something and can yellow. The prototype was a different colour, but they should be pretyt much the same, I think. They may have switched production sites at one point IIRC - (look in 'The Story So Far ...') Which may result in a slight variation, but I think if you see any differences it should be down to aging/ exposure to light etc. Mostly the plastics used on Oric cases seems pretty stable. My own Oric-1 discloured, but the majority I've come across haven't.