Oric repair in Noel's retro lab

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
Chema
Game master

Oric repair in Noel's retro lab

Post by Chema »

Just in case you missed it. Very nice repair video.

Ask him to make more Oric content :wink:

kenneth
Squad Leader

Re: Oric repair in Noel's retro lab

Post by kenneth »

Very interesting. The choice: we replace all the RAM memories, or we go crazy... :lol:
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Didn't looked at it yet. But i'm a subscriber... the best way to learn about our retro computers with Noel
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

He said that the test ROM does not indicate witch RAM memory is faulty, he didn't listen to the diagnostic synthesis voice ? :roll:
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Voice????
I have Mike Brown diagnostic cartridge, did not remember it doing any sound of any kind.
I know April 1st is coming soon, but it's not there yet :D
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

+1! He is using @mikeb's ROM Diag and the "speaking" Diag is by FF aka @euphoric ;).
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Is it a recent mod, does that mean I need to flash another eprom?
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

iss wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:37 pm +1! He is using @mikeb's ROM Diag and the "speaking" Diag is by FF aka @euphoric ;).
+1 :oops: :lol:
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Dbug wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:42 pm Is it a recent mod, does that mean I need to flash another eprom?
Hm, diag.rom 09-Jan-2004 10:50 imho not so recent :).
Works with Oricutron (set its name in oricutron.cfg).
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

So seriously, how is it supposed to work, does the rom contains some samples that are replayed with the YM/VIA?

Do we know what the code does, because there are some ways to replay samples that don't work on some Oric, like the end sample in the VIP Giga demo does not work on either my Atmos or Pravetz, but it worked on Twilighte's machine.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Dbug wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:41 pm So seriously, how is it supposed to work, does the rom contains some samples that are replayed with the YM/VIA?
I have no technical details but I remember Fabrice's idea was to be able having information even if the sreen display was out of order.
Now, there were speaking programs very early in Oric life, IIRC "Voice" in Théoric, maybe another one in Micr'Oric, and also for instance the voice in Trouble In Store. Don't know what the rom is using, but I tried it once just out of curiosity, and recall it was rather hard to understand to the 1st listen ;)
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Dbug wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:41 pm So seriously, how is it supposed to work, does the rom contains some samples that are replayed with the YM/VIA?

Do we know what the code does, because there are some ways to replay samples that don't work on some Oric, like the end sample in the VIP Giga demo does not work on either my Atmos or Pravetz, but it worked on Twilighte's machine.
It's like WAV playback (i.e. samples). I don't know which of the 2 possibilities is used - volume manipulation or king of PWM.
The Diag writes values in RAM and then compares if they mach then it speaks a number and continues ... something like that! :)
Anyway, it's really impressive because it doesn't use RAM only A,X,Y and as @Symoon said it's useful even with broken video.