Oric HFE file

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
iss
Wing Commander

Re: Oric HFE file

Post by iss »

For Clock Signal you need the PAL PROM too (attached oric-pal-prom.zip).

And your file hell2 starts fine in Clock Signal:
hell2.png
Attachments
oric-pal-prom.zip
(247 Bytes) Downloaded 208 times
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Many thanks.

Any idea why they are OK with Clock Signal but not Gotek Hfe or when converted to Oric .Dsk with HxC software?

I took a good Disk image and converted it to Hfe and then back to Dsk and it worked OK so the HxxC software seems OK.
AtomeX
Private

Post by AtomeX »

Hi everybody,

I'm new in your forum, I have exactly the same problem, I use a Gotek FF 3.24 drive to backup my (Jasmin) floppy.

But when I use HxC software to switch bak hfe to dsk and use with Euphoric or OricExplorer it seems like the disk is broken except with Clock signal.

If somebody have the solution I will be happy.

Best regards, to all.

Cyril from France ;)
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

I was trying to ask someone about the Hxc software and they were unwilling to offer any help claiming the software was only for converting to Hfe . It obviously does more than that. This sort of 'help' puts me off buying any HxC device.
Jeff
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Jeff »

Steve M wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:55 pm I was trying to ask someone about the Hxc software and they were unwilling to offer any help claiming the software was only for converting to Hfe . It obviously does more than that. This sort of 'help' puts me off buying any HxC device.
As far i know you are not an HxC device/firmware user.
I only provide support to HxC floppy emulators hardware/firmware users. If you have a Gotek (or Gotek clone), before asking any support please be sure that you have the HxC firmware installed : https://hxc2001.com/store/.

Once done i will be happy to have a look to your issue. :D

Cheers :)
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

Jeff wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:01 am As far i know you are not an HxC device/firmware user.
Hi Jeff, I pretty much think this is the same issue as I had earlier and where we communicated earlier on and I am a paid firmware user :wink:
I fully appreciate this not being top of the agenda considering the small user base. But I can confirm that also on my side I experience similar issues on converting HFE images that are adapted on the HxC firmware device (Cumana Reborn) in my case can not be converted back by the software to a DSK image that works on the Windows Oric emulators.

Problem is that I have not a clue if the issue is actually in your software, or if it is in the Cumana Reborn implementation or the Oric Windows tools. So I stopped pressing for it personally.

But if you might have any clue to go forward, it would be greatly appreciated.
Jeff
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Jeff »

xahmol wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:11 pm Problem is that I have not a clue if the issue is actually in your software, or if it is in the Cumana Reborn implementation or the Oric Windows tools. So I stopped pressing for it personally.
As far i know the Cumana Reborn was never shipped with the HxC Firmware...
Have you really installed the HxC firmware on this unit ? (according to the server : no ;) )
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

Checked, and I start to realize something.

Yes. I did actually pay to support HxC firmware and tools (payment of 9 October 2020).
But no, now find out that is indeed is not the software that I installed on my Cumana Reborn. Only now see that the HxC software is actually an alternative and not the same as the FlashFloppy firmware from https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy that I did install.

Sorry, my confusion and mistake, thought they were the same as everything references to the HxC site for tooling.
So I guess the way to try then is to try to flash the Cumana Reborn with the firmware I actually bought. Anyone here who did already do that to confirm that it works and will not brick the Cumana Reborn?
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

Hmm, checked the HxC site for the firmware and get headaches from how to get that firmware on a machine..... does not look like a valid option to me with that awkward flashing tool with online activation.
So will stick to FlashFloppy, unless official support on the Cumana Reborn for HxC is easier.
But thanks for pointing out that we than apparently have to not bug Jeff but the Flash Floppy author for proper Oric DSK support ;-)

Update: See next post.
Last edited by xahmol on Fri May 14, 2021 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

Did a search on the previous conversation, and completely missed this post then:
Jeff wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:43 pm if you have flashfloppy installed you can switch to hxc without a serial or usb cable to reprogram the bootloader. If requested i provide the necessary files to do this operation. (the server emails don't mention this method, but just ask me the files by email when/if you want to install the hxc firmware with this method).
I actually would be very interested. I already have the paid license:
Payment received, Thanks ! :)

Here is your account informations to use with the flasher software :

Login : xander at xandermol dot com (slightly adapted as anti-spam measure)

Pass : <<<HIDDEN FOR HERE>>>

Initial quantity : 1 unit(s)
So apparently I can ask you an update file via e-mail? if so, consider this to be my e-mail ;-) (will send via real e-mail as well).
(and feel stupid for not realizing earlier that FlashFloppy and HxC firmware are two separate things)

@others: anybody here that actually already did this install with HxC firmware?
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

Update: now received by mail the firmware file and instructions to update to HxC firmware by USB. Now gathering the courage to try it ;-) So if anyone can confirm that you have already successfully done this on the Cumana Reborn, you would make me sleep well....
Otherwise will try anyway tomorrow, and let you know if it works and improves things, or if I have a brick and will be looking for a new CR....
Jeff
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Jeff »

xahmol wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:24 pm Update: now received by mail the firmware file and instructions to update to HxC firmware by USB. Now gathering the courage to try it ;-) So if anyone can confirm that you have already successfully done this on the Cumana Reborn, you would make me sleep well....
Otherwise will try anyway tomorrow, and let you know if it works and improves things, or if I have a brick and will be looking for a new CR....
It's a Gotek clone so i don't see how you will brick it...

And even in the extreme worst case you brick it, you can easily reflash it "from scratch" with an usb cable.
See the procedure to reflash the unit "from zero" : https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... cable.html
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Jeff wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:01 am
Steve M wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:55 pm I was trying to ask someone about the Hxc software and they were unwilling to offer any help claiming the software was only for converting to Hfe . It obviously does more than that. This sort of 'help' puts me off buying any HxC device.
I only provide support to HxC floppy emulators hardware/firmware users. If you have a Gotek (or Gotek clone), before asking any support please be sure that you have the HxC firmware installed : https://hxc2001.com/store/.

Catch 22. I don't want to pay for a Gotek when there are issues with it failing to work properly. The software is widely used by
people reading floppies to files that can be used by devices or emulators. The software converts from Hfe to other files that aren't used by HxC - unless there are some changes to allow other filetypes(?)
Whilst the software continues to fail to work I'm not going to buy a device that uses non-working software.
Jeff
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Jeff »

Steve M wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:08 pm
Jeff wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:01 am

Catch 22. I don't want to pay for a Gotek when there are issues with it failing to work properly. The software is widely used by
people reading floppies to files that can be used by devices or emulators. The software converts from Hfe to other files that aren't used by HxC - unless there are some changes to allow other filetypes(?)
Whilst the software continues to fail to work I'm not going to buy a device that uses non-working software.
No problem but please don't ask me support anymore then ! (And read the license attached to this software !)
The software is working properly with the HxC firmwares. I don't have developed this software for SPS/Kryoflux, SuperCard pro or its Greaseweazle clone, nor flashfloppy... but for the HxC emulators/firmwares. If the developers of these solutions/boards don't provide any proper conversion / analysis software, blame them, not me... I am not going to do support for other products, life is too short for this...
Jeff
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Jeff »

btw @xahmol for your tests it is important to reconvert the dsk files to hfe. a "touched"/modified hfe with the previous firmware will fail...