Oric extender - a basis for DIY projects and experiments

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
iss
Wing Commander

Re: Oric extender - a basis for DIY projects and experiments

Post by iss »

:wink:
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

No idea about what that could be, is that compatible with disk drives, or is it some independent device?
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

iss wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:03 pm :wink:
Hey .. Looks like a new hardware is about to born :-)

I wonder why mankind has lost of sight the wonderful wire-wrapping technology :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_wrap

Some handmade electronic board have worked fine for decades with wirewrapping.

Any way, most important is that you managed to make your dream become true :-) That's very cool.

Is it possible to have an idea of what this new hardware is for ?
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

I think you guys are misleaded by the "page change effect", you should check page 1 of the thread for details ;)
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

Symoon wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:54 am I think you guys are misleaded by the "page change effect", you should check page 1 of the thread for details ;)
Indeed ! :lol:
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

:oops:
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Mislead, BTW, not "misleaded" :?
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

Symoon wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:40 am There's an attempt at Seilebost's site (scroll down)
http://passionoric.free.fr/eng/oric.htm

It's already a nice effort, but yeah something more up to date would be cool with all the new hardware around :)
I sent a mail asking for permission to reuse but never got any reply. It's not like it's much more than factual data anyway. There are some infos there as well but not as much.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

With the Oric extender, I wonder if I could get the Cumana Reborn + RS232/Modem + Speech Synthesizer to run all together.
It acts like an ampli-bus, correct?
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Dbug wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:18 am With the Oric extender, I wonder if I could get the Cumana Reborn + RS232/Modem + Speech Synthesizer to run all together.
It acts like an ampli-bus, correct?
No, this extender can only help hardware developers to quickly prototype custom peripheral devices.
This is exactly its purpose. It helps with proper and reliable way to connect to Oric buses (address and data) and control signals. About 50% of needed blocks to interface and to handle the Oric signals are always the same, so with the extender they can be simply "reused" and allow the developer to focus on the new functionality.
As I stated in my first post - it's not a complete device, it's only basis.

Anyway, it already helped me really a LOT to make a great discover which leads to new generation of Oric devices - rock stable, always working and compatible with any particular Oric! This "discovery" is truly so shocking even for me that I still can't believe it but it works :!:

About the possibility to connect more different devices together to Oric - I have basic (working!) prototype but it needs some more improvements to become a "pro" device.

So, prepare yourself for stunning news about new hardware - of course supported with lot new software from our small team ;).
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

iss wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:05 pm rock stable, always working and compatible with any particular Oric
Sounds great!
Could that for example help the Twilighte board to a more stable version? I am experimenting with it now with great help from Jede, and get more and more enthousiastic about that board, especially if I can get the Pi Zero link to be working (have trouble with power output powering the Raspberry now, so that is also on the ‘to fix and look for alternatives’ list. Have now a second Oric PSU, now an original one, so will see if that does anything)
But on my first Oric it is really unstable and needs two daughter boards to even work at all, and with that first needs to ‘warm up’ a significant time before it stays stable.
On my very recently required Oric it works flawlessly just out of the box, but on that Oric I need to fix the keyboard to make that one usable.
But of course if succes with hardware is so random, it is very hard to be a seller of such a board I can imagine. So if this discovery of yours helps with that, great!

My Cumana Reborn works very well and stable on both my Orics luckily. But hear also issues of that one randomly not working from one Oric to the other.
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

iss wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:05 pm which leads to new generation of Oric devices - rock stable, always working and compatible with any particular Oric! This "discovery" is truly so shocking even for me that I still can't believe it but it works :!:
Sounds like we should start saving some money to prepare buying next gen gear.

I belong to the group of those who knows that small discover can bring huge things.

Can't wait to see next steps.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

C'mon iss! Tell us!
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

It's not because of April fools day - It's real! :)
And what is it? - The answer will be demonstrated this weekend in new thread!