IJK-egoist new joystick interface by [raxiss]

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
iss
Wing Commander

Re: IJK-egoist new joystick interface by [raxiss]

Post by iss »

Well guys, let's talk about devices and cables!

Here are TWO of FOUR NEW UNIQUE (no copy/paste from internet gerber/schematics files):
#1: Not best picture but I hope you can read 'TapOricPro'
taporicpro-2.jpg
It's clear what it will do plus some not obvious features:
- very fast, I think the fastest possible - having in mind that I counted the cycles even between TAP header, TAP name and TAP data, trying to squeeze every microsecond :). @Symoon: Do you know that ~23uSec is really magic number for Oric and very happy coincidence that it's the period of 44100 Hz :!: .
- selectable manual or auto start/stop;
- recording;
- SD-card and/or USB-stick;
- WiFi (will not spoil details here);
- comes with TapOricPro cable (below).

#2: 'NO-NAME-YET' project:
xcart.jpg
Pushing the micro-controller to its limits plus many HW tricks it can:
- boot custom image;
- enable 16k RAM overlay;
- hopefully small size (something like 2 x IJK-egoist :))

For #3 and #4 no pictures because even I wonder on their possibilities - just some clues:
#3: What about more colors and decent video output?
#4: All-in-one on high speed: I think @jbperin will make Doom for Oric with no need of hacker's optimizations :)

Wait, there is one more - #5 - it's on @Rax demand - it has the best chance to appear first in the wild :)

At end the TapOricPro cable:
taporic-connector-1.jpg
Essential parts are missing just to get the idea ;). @Rax already use it regulary!
(Ha, the Oric-1 'white' style with Atmos - we should fix this)

So, let's hope that everything in the real life is OK and to have more free time for Oric....
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

Symoon wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:10 pm
kenneth wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:03 pm The Erebus looks for the beginning of the Tap file and no longer returns under DOS, all parts must be in the TAP file.
Thanks. So I don't get it, ISS's multipart TAP files should work, wouldn't they? (all parts are in a single .TAP file)

I mean, there are 3 cases (actually it could be more, but let's not get into useless complexity):
1- One part, in one .TAP file (obviously !)
2- Several parts, in one .TAP file (ISS adapted games)
3- Several parts, each being in a separate .TAP file (which won't work with Erebus as I just asked here)

Or does that mean that 2 and 3 can't work?
1 and 2 work only, but maybe the routine added by Iss use the unused addresses in the page 0 and 2, making a conflict with the Erebus sdCard loader.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

@Kenneth ok thanks, it's clearer for me now ;)

@ISS ha ha, I also did count the microseconds several times ;) As you say 23 is actually something like 22.68 µs. I had surprises somethimes of bit shifting when loading long programs, or with memory page change. And sometimes on only some Atmos and not others - but I wouldn't be 100% sure as I've been doing so many tests and bug chasing, and Novalight having different bits coding, that I may have missed / mixed a few things.
Anyway, I'm off topic there ;)
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Nice dev.
I'll be happy to try r/w functions as tapduino and clones aren't able to write on the peripheral
I saw an arduino, like these xxxduino already done. Don't you think a pi pico could be able to be more powerful (and cheaper) to treat oric signal ?
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

coco.oric wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:57 amDon't you think a pi pico could be able to be more powerful (and cheaper) to treat oric signal ?
Yes, definitely RPi Pico is more than enough to do the job. Honestly even the smallest Arduino board (or just the atmega/attiny/picXX micro controller) can handle the signal to/from the tape port. It's tricky but absolutely doable - that's a fact. The biggest problem is that being universal (targeting more platforms C64, ZX, Apple etc.) they are made by people with not so deep knowledge of Oric specifics.
dizzy33
Officer Cadet

Post by dizzy33 »

kenneth wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:37 am
1 and 2 work only, but maybe the routine added by Iss use the unused addresses in the page 0 and 2, making a conflict with the Erebus sdCard loader.
Kenneth, do you have a way to verify this point ? If that's the case (unused addresses used), does this mean we cannot modify the file so it will be loaded by the Erebus ?
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Arrgh, all these accessories!

.DSK||GTFO

:)

(Put me in for two of everything.)
dizzy33
Officer Cadet

Post by dizzy33 »

Thanks a million ISS, you know why ! Can't wait to see your next products ...
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

dizzy33 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:22 pm Thanks a million ISS, you know why !
Your are making is all very curious now ;-) Trust you or Iss will let us know of something has been solved benefitting us all.
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

ibisum wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:36 pm Arrgh, all these accessories!
Yeah, know the feeling. Love all great new developments and love to try new things and luckily I have the means to try a lot (within limits of course), but now have several extensions doing all different stuff competing for the same connection ports of the Oric and/or otherwise mutual not compatible....
So can imagine something fresh seeing al this is not daring to buy anything anymore and wait first for that 'one thing to rule them all' device that hopefully will someday combine everything in one device.

No way I can build myself so can only hope and meanwhile enjoy trying new stuff.
But my wishlist is to combine:
- ethernet or wifi connectivity with drag/drop files from PC GUI like the Twilighte card with Pi Zero apparently gives. Preferably also compatible with 8 bit hub/unity;
- Disk support from SD or USB like the Cumana Reborn, preferably with native DSK support unlike the Cumana Reborn (the HFE detour works, but only one way and takes extra hassle);
- Multi load TAP support from SD or USB like wat Iss is promising with TapOricPro;
- IJK joystick interface;
- mouse support (for 8 bit unity and own projects), preferably fully USB HID compatibel.
in one device.
One might dream, right? Actually already have all those things combined on my Commodore 128D.... (apart from 8 bit unity compatibility for network)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

xahmol wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:58 am But my wishlist is to combine:
- ethernet or wifi connectivity with drag/drop files from PC GUI like the Twilighte card with Pi Zero apparently gives. Preferably also compatible with 8 bit hub/unity;
- Disk support from SD or USB like the Cumana Reborn, preferably with native DSK support unlike the Cumana Reborn (the HFE detour works, but only one way and takes extra hassle);
- Multi load TAP support from SD or USB like wat Iss is promising with TapOricPro;
- IJK joystick interface;
- mouse support (for 8 bit unity and own projects), preferably fully USB HID compatibel.
in one device.
One might dream, right? Actually already have all those things combined on my Commodore 128D.... (apart from 8 bit unity compatibility for network)
Imo, if you have a Microdisk/Cumulus/CumanaReborn on the left, and a 8bit hub on the printer port, you pretty much have support for everything.
Not all is ready, I assume some firmware updates are required, but the 8bit hub has wifi, ijk joysticks, mouse and a SD card slot, so I believe it's just a matter of writing the right piece of software to do that TapOric/PC file exchange.

And yes, native DSK instead of HFE would be nice :)
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

Dbug wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:07 am Imo, if you have a Microdisk/Cumulus/CumanaReborn on the left, and a 8bit hub on the printer port, you pretty much have support for everything.
Agree, but at the moment that mostly is still a promise of things to come for the 8bit hub. But would be great if that promise gets true! Understand IJK support will be very soon, but did not see anything yet on using network support for anything else but use in 8 Bit Unity software.
And not even plans yet for multi load TAP support as far as I know.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

IJK support is not a promise, I tested it two weeks ago, and it worked :)

EDIT: Just remembering, what I tested was the IJK patched version of 8bit Slicks, the hub fix will come soon.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Oh, the 8-bit Hub is amazing, once you get connected and realise that the other players are humans on other machines, its kind of mind-blowing.

I sort of forgot to rave about this fact, got a bit distracted after my 8Bit-Hub arrived .. but yes, the fact of having a multiplayer/chat session on a frickin' ORIC, on the *Internet* .. guys, this is .. just mind-boggling, actually. Let alone the great other aspects of the 8bit Unity SDK, this for sure is a must-have for Oric hackers.

My Atmos has Cumulus and Cumana Reborn on one side, and 8-bit Hub on the other. Its truly a great rig and, now I think about it, this is going to be a really great year for Oric.

We should be able to do file transfer across the 'net at some point soon. Imagine access oric.org from a real Oric, directly, jollities!!!