My new Cumana drive ;)

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Re: My new Cumana drive ;)

Post by xahmol »

zaxon wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:48 pm Second batch is almost done.... :D
Ha, pick a nice one for me as one of those twenty should be mine 8) (but reminds me to tell my neighbours to take care of a package that if I see your pogress will probably be at my address when I am on a holiday....)
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

ibisum wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:33 pm After a few weeks, I'd really like to replace the LCD display .. anyone done that yet? I find the current one very unusable.
Normally, we can set the brightness by choosing the current in the internal LEDs and the contrast with a potentiometer in the 1602 lcd module.
zaxon
Officer Cadet

Post by zaxon »

Xahmol i can hold postage. Give me info via SMR.
Attachments
20200802_145024.jpg
20200801_183548.jpg
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

Hello Zaxon,

I would have a question concerning the Cumana Drive I bought from you.

Mine was working fine (connected to one of my Atmos) but suddenly one day, the screen started to display weird characters on only one half of it... Is this a problem related to the BIOS chip and is there a way to get back a normal screen ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Last edited by HigashiJun on Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
HigashiJun
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

6EC624E9-AE6C-47F2-91D4-E99FEAB713AD.jpeg
Came back from holiday, and a nice package (received by my neighbours) was waiting on me!
All works excellent. Also very good build quality. Thanks, Zaxon!
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

HigashiJun wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:01 pm Hello Zaxon,

I would have a question concerning the Cumana Drive I bought from you.

Mine was working fine (connected to one of my Atmos) but suddenly one day, the screen started to display weird characters on only one half of it... Is this a problem related to the BIOS chip and is there a way to get back a normal screen ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Never mind Zaxon...

Problem solved.

Thank you for your non reply. :?
HigashiJun
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

What was the solution? My Cumana drive, after being on for 72 hours straight during a recent demo marathon, is now no longer able to mount *ANY* USB devices, no matter what I try .. always giving me "ERROR 53" (I think that's the #, I could be wrong) ..

Have I blown a cap?
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

In my case, the USB pendrive was corrupted hence the weird screen...

I have - just in case - reflashed the bootloader and then the firmware then erased the contents of the pendrive.

Once done, all my games were copied back to the pendrive and everything works as before.

You could try that and if it doesn't work, then something is probably blown.

Good luck if you want to get help from Zaxon.
HigashiJun
mikeb
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mikeb »

HigashiJun wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:34 pm Good luck if you want to get help from Zaxon.
Zaxon hasn't been logged in, so may not be aware of your question, or your other ... comments. "Last active: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:34 pm"
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Indeed, I believe the proper place to contact him is either on the "Contact Seller" link on the Sell My Retro page (I assume you bought if from there?)

He's only been there for informing of the product, but it's not the proper place to send issues.
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

I (of course) also used the option "Contact Seller" link on Sell My Retro webpage.

Cheers.
HigashiJun
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Hi all. I tested one of these units from a friend and got some trouble. Maybe someone can help.

Firstly, it is a bit reluctant to react to the reset button. It usually takes two or three times for the Oric to boot.

Secondly, I could only make Blake's 7 and Barbitoric (iirc) to load. They both work ok (tried several times to run the game and saw no issue). Any other image hangs. Every Sedoric disk hangs in the same way (when reading the os from track 20, it displays part of a rom error message and stops reacting). Oric DOS does not boot either.

I tested the same images and the same onedrive with my Gotek and Microdisc clone, and they work like a charm.

So the question is, did someone experience a similar behaviour? Do I need to create the hfe images in a special way different from what a Gotek with FlashFloppy uses?

My friend told me his images did not work, except Blake's7, so it seems not to be Oric dependent.

As I have an amplibus, I tried with and without it with no change whatsoever.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I wonder if it's a related issue to what I had on mine: https://forum.defence-force.org/viewtop ... 509#p27509
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Did you send it to Zaxon or solved the matter anyhow?

Mine is not corrupting hfe files. I wonder if it could be timing issues with the MAP signal when switching from ROM to RAM. I don't remember if the OS does that often when starting, while B7 keeps the ROM disabled all the time...

But could not really find a pattern.