Is this a game or a demo?

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Is this a game or a demo?

Post by ibisum »

.. in this video of DS-Oric, this looks to be a pretty nice racing game:

http://www.iocero.com/player.aspx?iduse ... dk7nDg-BnE

Anyone know where its from?
kamelito
Flying Officer

Re: Is this a game or a demo?

Post by kamelito »

3D Starter
/kml
skype pseudo : kamelitoloveless
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Ah .. cool! I haven't played this yet, so thats a nice discovery .. thanks kamelito!
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

I've always dreamed such a racing game like "pole position" in oric.

where can we obtain this?
Antiriad2097
Flying Officer

Post by Antiriad2097 »

Its available for download on Oric.org: http://www.oric.org/software/starter_3d-738.html

Note that its best to register and log in to that site for full functionality. If you're not logged in it hides some features (notably screenshots of the games as you browse).
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

WOW ! Road animation is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G !

I didn't know such that a game exists in Oric.

They managed to animate road and landscape so well but the game needs an aim. Or maybe, as it is so hard to play, I couldn't manage to advance in the game. Maybe other race cars to pass etc..

I really wonder how they manage to animate the road. I tried so hard in 80's to create such animation and allways failed.

Maybe this game leads better road race games with todays knowledge . Guys? :)
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

peacer wrote:WOW ! Road animation is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G !

I didn't know such that a game exists in Oric.

They managed to animate road and landscape so well but the game needs an aim. Or maybe, as it is so hard to play, I couldn't manage to advance in the game. Maybe other race cars to pass etc..

I really wonder how they manage to animate the road. I tried so hard in 80's to create such animation and allways failed.

Maybe this game leads better road race games with todays knowledge . Guys? :)
At such a late stage in the Oric's life, I doubt we'll ever see a racing game that demonstrates just what the Oric is capable of. Thanks to the immense talents of Twilight , Chema and Dbug to name but three, we have had a taster of what can be achieved on Oric, but if the computer had been as successful as the Spectrum or C64, we may have seen games back in the late 80's that pushed the Oric to it's limits. Imagine if the company 'Ultimate Play the Game' had released the amazing 'Jetpac' and their subsequent hits on the Oric instead of the Spectrum, things would have been VERY different... :wink:
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

I admit that, you are right in many ways but I wish you were wrong :)

Its not something to demonstrate the capability of the Oric. Yes the people you mentioned did that in many works. But we are here because one of our biggest common hobby is Oric. If everybody says "ok, we discovered everything about Oric. we don't have to expand more" , I believe, that time will be the real death time of the Oric.

To my opinion, Its like a challenge to "create" something new on Oric. Something that never made before. Something like chema is talking about in "fast scrolling game" topic. I am amazed to see that "Uridium" based scrolls...

I hope that enthusiasm never ends about Oric :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

In 2002 I wrote a small prototype of racing game, all in C, so you need to use turbo boost in emulators to see the intended speed (F6 in Oricutron)
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (29.42 KiB) Viewed 19801 times
It's using odd/even lines to make it possible later to have colored cars without attributes glitches.
Attachments
RACING.tap
(7.26 KiB) Downloaded 566 times
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

peacer wrote:I admit that, you are right in many ways but I wish you were wrong :)

Its not something to demonstrate the capability of the Oric. Yes the people you mentioned did that in many works. But we are here because one of our biggest common hobby is Oric. If everybody says "ok, we discovered everything about Oric. we don't have to expand more" , I believe, that time will be the real death time of the Oric.

To my opinion, Its like a challenge to "create" something new on Oric. Something that never made before. Something like chema is talking about in "fast scrolling game" topic. I am amazed to see that "Uridium" based scrolls...

I hope that enthusiasm never ends about Oric :)
I agree with you peacer (mostly). However, for me it is not about what the Oric is capable of...it can do nothing on its own...it's about what I can do with it. How good can I become? What are MY limits? So maybe there is no really good racing game TODAY...well, maybe we can create one tomorrow. If there is always something else to create then things live on...
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Antiriad2097 wrote:Its available for download on Oric.org: http://www.oric.org/software/starter_3d-738.html

Note that its best to register and log in to that site for full functionality. If you're not logged in it hides some features (notably screenshots of the games as you browse).
Jede fixed the screenshots a while ago and they should now be visible even if you're not logged.
Being logged is still required for downloading, and seeing associated "stuff", ie manuals and so on.
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

Thanks Michael :) Its really eye-candy. In oricutron 64 khz overclocking made it really cool to view.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Dbug: is it viable to continue that project in C? If so, are the sources available? I'd love to know how its done and C is my preferred language. One of my personal barriers to contributing to the Oric software scene is the time it takes to get re-ignited by assembly .. if C is viable, I'm all in. ;)

Also, it cannot be stated loudly enough how important oric.org is to me, personally, as an Oric revivalist. When I first encountered that archive, and indeed even still today, it was like a whole new life for the hardware was available. I had no idea such titles existed in the 80's, and I'm still finding real gems that would have blown my 13-year old mind. So this is a huge, hugely significant resource to me and I thank everyone thats involved in keeping it running.

My 6 year old and 3 year old are currently playing Starter 3D on a real Atmos. It is too hard. It'd be nice to have another racer on the platform .. ;)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

ibisum wrote:Dbug: is it viable to continue that project in C? If so, are the sources available? I'd love to know how its done and C is my preferred language. One of my personal barriers to contributing to the Oric software scene is the time it takes to get re-ignited by assembly .. if C is viable, I'm all in. ;)

Also, it cannot be stated loudly enough how important oric.org is to me, personally, as an Oric revivalist. When I first encountered that archive, and indeed even still today, it was like a whole new life for the hardware was available. I had no idea such titles existed in the 80's, and I'm still finding real gems that would have blown my 13-year old mind. So this is a huge, hugely significant resource to me and I thank everyone thats involved in keeping it running.

My 6 year old and 3 year old are currently playing Starter 3D on a real Atmos. It is too hard. It'd be nice to have another racer on the platform .. ;)
I added the source code on the SVN depot: http://miniserve.defence-force.org/svn/ ... ts/Racing/

Viable in C, possibly, at the moment it is slow because it uses curset/draw to draw the screen instead of just updating the part of the road that changed.
By writing directly in the video memory with pre-generated patterns for each size, that could work. Not as optimal as in assembler but doable.

Now of course, if you can manage to get something that is more or less playable at say x2 or x4 speed, we can probably spend some time optimizing critical display code to make it smooth and nice.
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

The starter 3d game itself is quite fast . Road animation is nearly exactly the same as pole position.

It looks like the screen is in hires. Maybe I am wrong about that.

How could they manage that?