Wurlde - Game Development Forum

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Thanks for your feedback Symoon. I tried to figure out how to reduce the flicker of the hero. It is actually alot more complex to fix.

Background animations always act on the Background buffer before being refreshed on even lines on the screen. This means that when the hero moves over them the background he occupies does not remain stagnant whilst the area around him moves.
Usually animated backgrounds in Wurlde are very dark like Blue so the hero mask that is destroyed during the background animation process is not so noticeable. For example look at JettyEnd demo.
Incidentally the windmill, Butterflies and non black particle effects all act on the same rows as the hero so will collide and destroy either(Though attempts are made to give hero the priority).

Then there are specific rules regarding the plotting of the hero bitmap rows, in that if the background is inversed then hide the hero row but still plot the colour.
This is because the hero can stand or run past a position where the ink changes (in his graphic) are alligned to background inverse but the bitmap graphic of the hero is not. :)

Perhaps people can suggest a more ellegant method of rendering the hero sprite on the screen in a flickerless way whilst still observing all these rules and using a method that does not use up alot of memory or cpu? :P

Converted another map of 8 screens last week (Ciro Mountain) and currently looking at both the 16K dungeon section and designing 8 screens for the final outside map, Samson Isle.

Currently at 257K on Disk.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Hey Twi.

Spent a few minutes in testing your last demo and it looks FANTASTIC. Text is much more readable now and most of the errors with the sprite have disappeared!

The interaction with other characters looks impressive and it seems it would end up being a very interesting game indeed!

Very good job indeed! Can't wait to see a more completed demo :)
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Hi Chema, well i am rather hesitant about releasing another demo until the game is closer to completion mainly because i don't want to give too much away. :P

However for game testing purposes a select few (yourself included) will be invited to test the game proper.

Got Ptoing to promise to do the dragon animation. Similar to Doggy animation but bigger and more fluid. 8)

I still have massive hurdles with this game. Most of ideas i have had have gone into the game plot now, including a parralax unicorn riding section. No idea how i am going to get the graphics for this done. Whilst i am capable of doing backgrounds, animals are a whole different ball game.

So if any reading this want to contribute to the game, whilst some of the game ideas are not so original i need original graphics! :?:

Most of the sprites in the game will be simple masks over the background, so black on colour. This means i am not hindered by the serial attribute problems or with hero graphic confliction.
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Disk files now amount to 297K, and can now travel from the start across map2 to the boat, get in the boat and travel to Sassubree, carrying items.
Its coming together, though found loads of bugs on journey :P
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Another big update this time, now some characters move between places in Wurlde.
For example Kinda works in the bakery in the afternoon and at the quayside in the morning.
Merideth appears on random days in the market to trade.
Keggs the fisherman is only at the pub in the evening, and spends the morning fishing out at sea.

Now working on prices of things. The game has up to 128 items scattered across Wurlde but only 32 unique items. These 32 have prices but the prices may vary as the day wears on or as the game progresses.
The code behind Buying and selling items controls these prices.

The aim is to go to the quayside early in the morning, buy some fish from Kinda, wait until afternoon then sell for a higher price at the market :P
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

For an up to date progression break down report for Wurlde development, go to

http://wiki.defence-force.org/doku.php? ... urlde:main
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

After a long break developing AYT, a new musical editor (whose composed music will be used in Wurlde) i have returned to developing Wurlde. I now need to concentrate on carrying through the story, so an almost bewildering amount of work ahead, from Dragon animations to cut-scenes, title music to ingame musics.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Re: Wurlde - Game Development Forum

Post by Godzil »

I was really impressed by the demo I saw during the last CEO's Visu, I would like to know if I could show it during a retrogaming convention in the end of this year?

The Convention is the RGC (RetroGaming Convention, cool name isn't it?) made by an association of the same name.
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Yes of course you may. Get the software from symoon as I made sure he had it I case I failed to make meeting :P
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Twilighte wrote:Yes of course you may. Get the software from symoon as I made sure he had it I case I failed to make meeting :P
Thanks!
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

So . how goes things, anyway Twilighte? Making new progress on it again, or .. something else? I'm really impressed, as always, and can't wait until you make something more public!
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

Wurdle was probably the most advanced Oric game project that Jonathan was creating.

Other than the demo disks that he shared here himself, does anyone has more of this game and does anyone willing to keep on developing Wurdle game after Twilighte?

In his pages of Wurdle, wonderful screenshots were placed for us and I really wonder if those screenshots are all the things that we can have about wurdle :(
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I would love to see someone jumping in and trying to finish any of these projects as a tribute to Twiligthe, but I doubt something like that can happen. Not sure if the sources are available, but anyway It would be an immense work of understanding them and trying to figure out how to proceed. And in any case I am not sure that the finished product would be near what Twi had in mind, with the level of perfection he would have wanted.

Not sure if these should remain as they are. Available as downloadable demos of impressive technical and design abilities, and let the imagination dream about what could have been.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

From twilighte/Wurlde/Docs:
The potential emptyness of death, like the Nothing from Neverending story or the great deapth from Abyss, like a few dark dreams i had as a child. Feeling completely alone in an unknown place, All these contain an enormously emotive force, and if i were to create even an element the ideal introduction to Wurlde.
AND I'M WONDERING IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO RECREATE IN A COMPUTER GAME?

It is possible through poetry but this format may only appeal to an English audience.

Films and perhaps animation can also emulate the same emotion, so why not a computer game intro?

For example the distorted face at the beginning of X-Files, The devil under the moon in Dr Who Episode ?, The aliens from Quatermass.

Such a feeling would amplify the majesty and beauty of Wurlde.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

I think the game could be finished, from a technical point of view.
But I don't know if it could ever be the way he wanted to.

I'm curious to see the work behind the demo we saw, I don't know how many pixels he crafted, but that should be enormous...