MCP-40 / ALPS plotter cheap 3D printed stylus replacement

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

MCP-40 / ALPS plotter cheap 3D printed stylus replacement

Post by mmu_man »

Since getting an MCP-40 (actually two now), I've been looking for paper and pens to use with it, but I didn't want to pay too much for single use pens. I've heard from several attempts at using ball pens but didn't find anything convincing. I had a try myself but it wasn't convincing either, spilling over the internals.

Since then we opened a fablab close to home, and I started with 3D-printing things. I searched for existing models, but the only 3D model I found was never finished. So I started doing one with OpenSCAD last November at the MicroAlchimie. After several iterations I now have something that seems usable and reproducible enough, and started making kits, even sold three of them at the last Visu in Paris, 10€ each.
ORIC_MCP40_DSCN2294.jpg
The goal is to use Bic 4-colors pens that are quite cheap, and allow refilling by reusing the ink tube we cut out. The kit contains 4 color holders, and two extra, plus a cutting jig to slice the ink tube properly, and a paper clip to help extract it when it's empty, all inside a zippable bag to allow storing them without spilling outside.
ORIC_MCP40_DSCN2312.jpg
I'm waiting for returns from the first users, then I'll start selling some before publishing the design.
The manual is already online.

See also the topic on the Silicium forum.
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: MCP-40 / ALPS plotter cheap 3D printed stylus replacement

Post by Dbug »

The documentation is understandable :)
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

The result is excellent, we could make an entire Oric computer with a 3d printed case, a new pcb, and a Cherry keyboard [troll mode on] 8)
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

Don't tempt me!
Actually I have other projects first…
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

kenneth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:40 pm The result is excellent, we could make an entire Oric computer with a 3d printed case, a new pcb, and a Cherry keyboard [troll mode on] 8)
The Cherry (keyboard) on the top.

Actually I was considering making my own PCB to try to make an Atmos replacement keyboard with normal Cherry MX switches.