Cumana Disk Interface

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Vyper68
Flying Officer

Cumana Disk Interface

Post by Vyper68 »

Has anyone else noticed Zaxon is selling Cumana disk interface minus the Gotek drive?
Oric Extended Basic V1.1
(C) 1983 Tangerine
37631 Bytes Free
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Cumana Disk Interface

Post by Dbug »

I vaguely remember reading about that on one of the Facebook groups, but I did not investigate more than that.
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

Vyper68 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:57 pm Has anyone else noticed Zaxon is selling Cumana disk interface minus the Gotek drive?
Yes, it is on the Sell my retro website for more than 1 week now.
HigashiJun
Vyper68
Flying Officer

Post by Vyper68 »

Yes my friend near Paris has bought one so I’m waiting to see what they are like. Sadly Zaxon does not ship to the U.K. currently and SMR does not allow users based in the U.K. to purchase anything from abroad.

:(
Oric Extended Basic V1.1
(C) 1983 Tangerine
37631 Bytes Free
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

That is weird...

Why does Zaxon not ship to the UK ?

I checked the Polish Post website and there are no restrictions for the UK.

Would it be a SMR related issue ?
HigashiJun
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

HigashiJun wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:43 am That is weird...

Why does Zaxon not ship to the UK ?
Probably value added tax / import duty / regulatory safety requirements reasons. Brexit is making a mess on those, so I can imagine no seller from the EU voluntarily would be exposing themselves to the mess that the UK created for themselves....

Which is a tragedy of course for the retro community for the UK originating retros like the Oric.
Vyper68
Flying Officer

Post by Vyper68 »

To sell to customers in the U.K. from outside of the U.K. you are now required to become VAT registered with HMRC and collect the 20% VAT at point of sale rather than the buyer pay import duties when it arrives here in the U.K.
It can be done if people want to, Charles Ingley in New Zealand and Ben Venn in Australia both ship to the U.K. again after becoming VAT registered.
Piotr said he was in the process of doing this but that was a while ago and he has ignored my messages on SellMyRetro and Facebook sadly.
Oric Extended Basic V1.1
(C) 1983 Tangerine
37631 Bytes Free
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

Vyper68 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:42 pm To sell to customers in the U.K. from outside of the U.K. you are now required to become VAT registered with HMRC and collect the 20% VAT at point of sale rather than the buyer pay import duties when it arrives here in the U.K.
It can be done if people want to, Charles Ingley in New Zealand and Ben Venn in Australia both ship to the U.K. again after becoming VAT registered.
Piotr said he was in the process of doing this but that was a while ago and he has ignored my messages on SellMyRetro and Facebook sadly.
I did not know that.

Those rules are really not enticing buyers to sell in the UK...
HigashiJun
Vyper68
Flying Officer

Post by Vyper68 »

HigashiJun wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:22 pm
Vyper68 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:42 pm To sell to customers in the U.K. from outside of the U.K. you are now required to become VAT registered with HMRC and collect the 20% VAT at point of sale rather than the buyer pay import duties when it arrives here in the U.K.
I did not know that.

Well I guess it depends how much money you make out of customers in the U.K. versus the extra administration now required. Lotharek stopped selling to the U.K. but he worked with another guy who set up a U.K. company to sell his products. That was how I was able to get my SIDE3 and Ultimate 1MB expansion for my 65XE.
Oric Extended Basic V1.1
(C) 1983 Tangerine
37631 Bytes Free
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

Vyper68 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:53 am
HigashiJun wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:22 pm
I did not know that.

Well I guess it depends how much money you make out of customers in the U.K. versus the extra administration now required. Lotharek stopped selling to the U.K. but he worked with another guy who set up a U.K. company to sell his products. That was how I was able to get my SIDE3 and Ultimate 1MB expansion for my 65XE.
Yes, you are right.

Lotharek was clever enough to find a workaround though.

(And sorry, I meant "sellers" and not "buyers" in my previous post).
HigashiJun
Vyper68
Flying Officer

Post by Vyper68 »

Thanks to a friend in France I have been able to get my hands on one of these and can report that it performs as expected. I used to have a real Cumana interface back in the early 90's and it's great to be able to use Sedoric again on real hardware.
So if you need a disk interface but have a floppy drive or Gotek already then this is worth considering I think.

In addition It came with a 30cm 34 Way cable and the ports are labelled so there is no mixing them up. There is also a power 'Y' splitter is also included.
Oric Extended Basic V1.1
(C) 1983 Tangerine
37631 Bytes Free