Krillys - real hardware and tape!

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
6502Nerd
Pilot Officer

Krillys - real hardware and tape!

Post by 6502Nerd »

I thought this might bring some memories..

I have had the Oric-1 since 1983 and the Krillys tape and tape player since around 1984. Using the same hardware I had as a boy, I was amazed that the tape loaded and played perfectly only a few days ago after 37 years. I have done no maintenance on the tape player (maybe wiped the tape head a long time ago..)

Given that the Oric tape loading is always blamed for being very picky, it's brilliant to see it loading in fast 2400bps setting on original hardware and media! Also I really liked this game - a good version of Scramble :-)

Symoon
Archivist

Re: Krillys - real hardware and tape!

Post by Symoon »

Funny, you're using an Oric-1 and the final Hires screen isn't affected by the CLOAD statut line (clearly visible on the 1st fully red hires screen).
So Orpheus are using their own loading routines ;) Probably the short program loaded right before the HIRES screen.
6502Nerd
Pilot Officer

Post by 6502Nerd »

Yes well spotted, it must be as you say! :-)
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

I was not in computer science by the time of the Oric .. So I don't really know what it is to load a tape on a computer.

This kind of video make me live this testimony of the past and makes me to figure out how it was (even thought it looks more performant than it used to be).

Thank you.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

I guess it didn't sell that well as there were a lot of cassette inlays left over. This is one of the reasons it was chosen as a freebie with Sedoric. Those that registered got the Sedoric manual and Krillys inlay.

Tapes are so slow after using disks. I only use them when I don't have the game on disk. I guess there's a lot of those though!
6502Nerd
Pilot Officer

Post by 6502Nerd »

Steve M wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:47 pm I guess it didn't sell that well as there were a lot of cassette inlays left over. This is one of the reasons it was chosen as a freebie with Sedoric. Those that registered got the Sedoric manual and Krillys inlay.

Tapes are so slow after using disks. I only use them when I don't have the game on disk. I guess there's a lot of those though!
Interesting, didn't know about this regarding Krillys!

Yes tapes a crazy slow, and I think along with disks will get increasingly unreliable. Best save them as WAV files if you have those.. they play the WAV through your PC, or better yet, convert the WAV to TAP and it will load much faster!
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Once you have Tap files you can use an Erebus on the real Oric and load almost as quick as disk.