New Oric Project. The OriClone-1

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: New Oric Project. The OriClone-1

Post by Dbug »

Naive question: If you remove the 7905 and change the connector, could you power an Oric from a micro-usb or usb-c mobile phone charger?
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Dbug wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:24 pm... could you power an Oric from a mobile phone charger?
Yes, and it works fine. But why to change the connector?

This is what I've done for OricExos

You need to short this two holes with piece of thick wire:
pcb-1.jpg
And you can use any universal phone charger (output 5V and >600mA) with simple cable USB-to-barrel-jack:
20201106_221757.jpg
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

The idea for changing the connector is mostly to make sure you don't put a usual 9v supply on the machine.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Dbug wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:18 am The idea for changing the connector is mostly to make sure you don't put a usual 9v supply on the machine.
And that's probably a good idea, the 7905/7805 at least allow to "blow" as a fuse if you put something wrong on the barrel jack (like inverted polarity or really wrong voltage. Completely bypassing is without a connector that warranty no other thing than 5V is probably not a good idea.

I would probably for for a USB-B plug as there is little chance to get anything else than 5V from there.
mikeb
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mikeb »

LM7905: At 1A 1.1V (demanding at least 6.1v at input)
LM7805: At 1A 2.0V (demanding at least 7.0v at input)
Godzil wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:46 pm
In fact is it probably more easy to find a 7V power supply than a 6.1V

And yeah all official power supply were 9V:

So that does not really hold up.
I'm aware the original power supply was nominally 9V. You need to look closely at the word "nominally" there (they were unregulated supplies, it will be higher off load, will be lower when loaded with an Oric, and peripherals, and if the mains voltage is at bottom tolerance or below etc.)

No-one proposed a 6.1v power supply, or a 7V one. You've missed the point of the "at least" in those statements. You need some headroom.

"Allegations of cheapness" doesn't even come into making a decision to use a power supply *at* the lowest limit possible. That's just awful design.

It does hold up. And like the 5V rail, it holds up better the lower the dropout voltage on the regulator! (Haha!)
DigitalDunc
2nd Star Corporal

Post by DigitalDunc »

On the subject of using 5V USB power, I see exactly three problems. It's not much of one but it is relevant.

1) USB calls for a minimum of 4.4V which is below requirements.
2) USB only guarantees 500mA unless you have a charger (the most likely route to power)
3) You're supposed to negotiate for most of that power, but that's not really an issue in most cases.

I say, go for it but make sure you choose your phone source with a skeptical eye and avoid those Cheap Chinese Pink Charger (tm) thingies.

As for my project status, somewhat stalled due to work commitments :( (and other home issues) but I'm placing an order for boards next weekend! :D They usually arrive reasonably quickly but I hear the ports are starting to back up this time so fingers crossed.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

DigitalDunc
2nd Star Corporal

Post by DigitalDunc »

ibisum wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:21 pm Seen Exos?

https://forum.defence-force.org/viewtop ... =21&t=1880
I have, and it looks really exciting! I don't think there's enough Oric's to go around for everyone to have one though. It get's the grey matter all overheated considering the possibilities.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I mean, if there is to be a next-Gen Oric design, having multi-core Oric's doing video interlacing seems kind of intrinsic .. not suggesting anyone butcher their Oric's to build one, but certainly if there are FPGA chops in the crowd, we could take the idea and run with it.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

ibisum wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:54 am I mean, if there is to be a next-Gen Oric design, having multi-core Oric's doing video interlacing seems kind of intrinsic .. not suggesting anyone butcher their Oric's to build one, but certainly if there are FPGA chops in the crowd, we could take the idea and run with it.
Well, technically there are many ULA around, it's trivial to find, so at worse you could just add an expansion board to the Oric with three additional ULA and some RAM :D
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Also something that an FPGA/ASIC-based project could consider, no? I guess the hard work is really in defining a standard peripheral set for OriClone-1 and getting developers behind the new technology.
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

Hello
I made a PCB file with Kicad, but it is not tested.
It is called "Issue4b" because all components temporarily placed on the Issue4 pcb are integrated into the Issue4b pcb, with a new Reset button.
Last edited by kenneth on Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Nice!! :D
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

I drew the keyboard map, compatible with the modern format. The photo is a fake to illustrate.
https://retrowiki.es/download/file.php?id=200035030
Last edited by kenneth on Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

I modified the file (v2), the tracks are wider.