Erebus.

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
Silicebit.
Flight Lieutenant

Erebus.

Post by Silicebit. »

@kenneth. A proposal to improve Erebus for future batches :-) . You only need to add a resistor and, of course, modify the PCB.
I/O CONTROL Tristate.
I/O CONTROL Tristate.
Erebusdiagram2.jpg (584.01 KiB) Viewed 6538 times
Oric user since 1984. YouTube
kenneth
Squad Leader

Re: Erebus.

Post by kenneth »

Indeed, using the three state output coud be a good solution for the open collector problem, it could be added with the reset button update. ;)
mikeb
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mikeb »

I like that hack :)

It's even better than the diode thing, as it's a proper TTL drive output, either drive the line low, or leave it to float (open).

As noted in another posting, this sort of thing needs to be done on any other thing on the IO control line though (because a.n.other device may drive the line HIGH, while this one pictured is driving LOW, and you still have a conflict).
Silicebit.
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silicebit. »

mikeb wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:33 pm... As noted in another posting, this sort of thing needs to be done on any other thing on the IO control line though (because a.n.other device may drive the line HIGH, while this one pictured is driving LOW, and you still have a conflict).
Correct! For this reason I said in the RetroWiki forum, that from now, we all must design the interfaces thinking about a shared bus.
We should to use open collector/drain or Tri-state outputs on /MAP, /ROMDIS, /IRQ, /I/O_CTRL and /RESET lines.
Oric user since 1984. YouTube
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

Silicebit. wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:20 pm
mikeb wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:33 pm... As noted in another posting, this sort of thing needs to be done on any other thing on the IO control line though (because a.n.other device may drive the line HIGH, while this one pictured is driving LOW, and you still have a conflict).
Correct! For this reason I said in the RetroWiki forum, that from now, we all must design the interfaces thinking about a shared bus.
We should to use open collector/drain or Tri-state outputs on /MAP, /ROMDIS, /IRQ, /I/O_CTRL and /RESET lines.
We must add the fact that we will also have to choose the interface working area on page 3 and in the ROM area.
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

Silicebit. wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:20 pm We should to use open collector/drain or Tri-state outputs on /MAP, /ROMDIS, /IRQ, /I/O_CTRL and /RESET lines.
Open-collector and tri-state are not the same.

Open-collector basically creates an AND gate with all participating outputs, so any one setting it to 0 will get a 0 on the line.

Tri-state is just a way to temporally multiplex regular totem-pole outputs on the same line, but if you don't have a proper arbitration logic you will screw up anyway at some point. Can you be sure no-one will ever create a hardware that uses the same address as you, but with different timings when asserting IO_CONTROL?

As for the diode, I already explained this might or might not work depending on the ORIC and the diode you put in.

I just checked what the Jasmin does, it uses a 74LS38 (Quad 2-input NAND Buffer (Open Collector)) for /MAP, /IO_CONTROL, /IRQ, /ROMDIS and /RESET, with the second input to a pull-up or down. The inputs must be reversed obviously.

It's hard to be a good citizen on the bus 8)
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

Although, in the case of peripherals using the same IO they will end up having trouble on the data bus anyway, but yeah…
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Somebody on Twitter poked me for a problem they have on their Oric 1, apparently when Erebus is connected there's just garbage on the screen.
Any idea of what that could be? (It's a 48k Oric 1, and apparently the power regulator was replaced by the Trapco model).

See:
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

There are two possibilities:

1: The assembly needs a 900mA power supply, the switching regulator may be too light.
2: The Oric uses a 27C128 UVPROM instead of the original ROM, the ROMDIS pin is not functional. Some UVPROM chips are compatible.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Thanks, transmitted the information :)

kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

For the checking, the RomBasic chip inside the Oric computer can be removed while using the Erebus interface.
maded2
Private

Post by maded2 »

I removed the ROM and still not able to boot. But when I had the rom in, and repeatedly pressing the reset on the EREBUS, I did managed to boot once or twice and it crashed shortly afterward, and when I press reset again the ram reported started disappearing. Could this be dram issue? (I know these 4164 is not very good and most of the fails on the Apple II).

thanks,
eddie
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

Hello
Try it with an LM7905 regulator.
What are the characteristics of your power supply unit ?
maded2
Private

Post by maded2 »

hi,
I am using a new LM7905 regulator. I am using 9V standard adapter (don't have an original oric power supply). I also tried my bench power supply as well.

thanks,
eddie
maded2
Private

Post by maded2 »

hi all,
After testing some more I am sure its the power supply I am using causing the issue. I will get another power supply / cable+plug. Looks like the Oric is very sensitive to power.

thanks,
eddie