CEO-Mag Christmas gift: John Sinclair interview available

Here is the place to discuss about the magazines (CEO Mag, OUM, Rhetoric, Theoric, Hebdogiciel, ... are all welcome here) and books.
Symoon
Archivist

CEO-Mag Christmas gift: John Sinclair interview available

Post by Symoon »

Hi all,

When I did John S. Sinclair interview a few months ago, the idea was to send it first to the Club Europe Oric (CEO) magazine, and later on to share it beyond the Club. The man being probably the best-selling Oric author, his interview deserved being shared with all Oric enthousiasts.

Here we are, I asked and CEO promptly agreed to make the issue go public along its other free samples, so you can now download John's interview issue here:
http://ceo.oric.org/bienvenue-sur-la-pa ... -oric-ceo/

Thanks to the CEO and coco.oric who build the issue and put it online.
Enjoy!

PS: my only regret with this issue is that I didn't find back in time the complete interview Steve made a few years ago, so I could have linked it (my memory mixed it with an article from another issue containing a few lines of emails exchanges between Steve and John).
Last edited by Symoon on Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robcook
Flying Officer

Re: CEO-Mag Christmas gift: John Sinclair interview available

Post by robcook »

MANY thanks for that! I was extremely delighted to spot it's not in French!

Here's another link, direct to the PDF to read/download.

https://www.oric.org/ftp/ceo/ceomag/spe ... nclair.pdf
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Here's another link, direct to the PDF to read/download.
https://www.oric.org/ftp/ceo/ceomag/spe ... nclair.pdf
Please use Symoon links, there're some others CEO-MAG available in the same page.
Webpage is in French however, some of these CEO-MAG are in English & French.
It's time to look at these other issues if you don't know them.

And dear Oric users, don't forget that it's always a pleasure to include some English articles in the mag.
We're working on the new version of CEO part of oric.org where some articles will be available.
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

It'd be great to see more CEO articles in English .. my lack of French comprehension has been a reason to not subscribe, but if there were more English translations I'd happily pitch in every month ..
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Well in the late 90s, it appeared that nobody had time to translate articles anymore (from French to English or English to French). So the CEO decided to publish the articles in their original language.
If I'm not mistaken, at the same time, some people in UK managing the magazine stopped without warning and it took a while for the French to realize that the subscribers didn't receive the magazine anymore.

As a logical consequence to both events, subsribtions and contributions from UK dropped, only a few subscribers remained (between 1 to 5 IIRC), with the consequence that very few articles were sent in English. Around 2003 I tried to sum up every issue into English and mail the result to UK subscribers, saying that if any particular article required a full translation, I'd try to. But I had almost zero feedback and gave up after about 2 years. Even if the club had still somene ready to translate articles, it would really be a lot of work for 5% of the subscribers.

I made the effort to translate the interview into French, but it really took a while. As a simple contributor to the magazine now, I find it already quite hard to write articles (you're doing a project, release it, publish it on the forums in French and English, reply to the questions, correct the bugs, publish again, write an article in French about it...), having to add a translation of the article is even harder, especially now that I don't think there are more than two or three English speaking subscribers, and that the French article generate almost zero feedback.
It's a complicated matter, finding the balance between the time required (so not neglecting your personal life), and not neglecting people.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I'm having the same problem with my blog, articles and youtube videos, when people ask me for French versions.

I simply do not have the time, people don't realize the mammouth amount of time it takes to basically do any of this stuff, but what's sure is that when you answer people that if they can provide some french transcript I will add them to the videos, I generally never get feedback after that.

It's getting specially difficult to justify in 2019 when the translation software is basically good enough for 90% of all the technical stuff, and at least good enough to not be much better than what the average french person would have done :)
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Big thanks for the early xmas gift, it's cool reading.
Symoon wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:34 pmIt's a complicated matter...
No doubt about it! So guys, let's support CEO-Mag!
Screenshot_20191123_141858.png
Screenshot_20191123_141858.png (11.04 KiB) Viewed 10499 times
I've just extend my subscription using PayPal - it's easy 2 mouse clicks :)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I'd be happy, almost, to learn French well enough to be able to read the CEO. But the trouble is, I'm already doing the multi-lingual thing by being an Australian living in Austria, and therefore struggling with German.

But I have wondered if there weren't a bit of hope to be had with auto-translation - while it may not be an ultimate solution, I've often found that google translate and other such tools can be relied on to give most of an approximation, lets say 80 - 90% of what things mean ..

But one challenge to this is that the CEO isn't readily available in machine-readable form. Or, is it? If it were, I can imagine a scenario where I do indeed learn French - by reading the translations, and assisting with the final flourishes required to translate most of the really, really good articles in CEO.

I do like to read CEO, independently of this issue - but mostly just the sources, which are the "entry point" to trying to understand the technical French - of which, btw, there appears to be a rather extensive new set of vernacular to be learned, even for native French speakers ...
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Would be worth trying with the CEO Mag, which is available in PDF format, apparently google translate can do documents too:
https://translate.google.com/?tr=f&hl=e ... auto&tl=en
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

ibisum wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:01 pm But one challenge to this is that the CEO isn't readily available in machine-readable form. Or, is it?
Well it's PDF, so just as Dbug stated, I think (but haven't tried) that you could have some help from automatic translators.
A few articles are re-publications of old magazines, and can be fully scanned pictures, but I think Didier tires to OCR them, and if I'm not mistaken, most of the time they are here to complete another subject - I wouldn't say "fillers" but not the heart of the magazine IMO.

Only something like 6 first years issues (so around 1990-1996, from memory) are PDF made with scans from the paper issues, so cannot be processed. But there were English versions for those years ;)
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

coco.oric wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:33 am
Please use Symoon links
Apologies if I shouln't have posted that. Dunno if I broke any rule - wasn't intentional if I have :(

eta. same thing with me and learning French. No way in the near future I could do it. I'm learning Spanish so that's a killer and I'll be relearning 6502 soon whilst doing an average of at least 12+ hrs work a day. So fitting in French classes would be a magic trick by itself :)
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

A few articles are re-publications of old magazines, and can be fully scanned pictures, but I think Didier tires to OCR them
Yes, i'm using some scans done by Steve sometimes.
For old issues, i don't remember if issues on the ceo oric website have been pdf recognized. However, i've done it on all issues i've on my computer.

Future of the mag will be on ceo.oric.org with articles in the website. So it should be possible to get translation online.
To be followed.
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Some of the listings arent' too easy to read once it is converted to Pdf. I think it reduces the resolution(?)

I scanned many myself but a few articles were gathered from online magazine scans, such as here
https://archive.org/details/popular-com ... ter&page=2

OCR might help with the original scans but I'm not sure how well the Pdf version will work?