My new Cumana drive ;)

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Re: My new Cumana drive ;)

Post by HigashiJun »

Or does this mean keirf is only working on this issue ?

:?:
HigashiJun
Antiriad2097
Flying Officer

Post by Antiriad2097 »

With the Cumulus and Cumana drive etc, has anyone done a feature comparison of the various bits of hardware now available to us, detailing the pros and cons of each?

As an irregular forum reader, I'm a bit lost as things seem to have moved rapidly in the last few years, from theoretical hardware to multiple options.

I have a Cumulus, just wondering how it compares or if I should be looking to upgrade at some point.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

has anyone done a feature comparison of the various bits of hardware now available to us, detailing the pros and cons of each?
I was considering making an episode of Oriclopedia on the topic, with original Microdisc/Cumana, Jasmin, Tape drive, and from there was you get with Cumulus and Erebus, and the in-between solutions such as HxC/Gotek as well as Cumana Reborn, but I did not have the time to actually do my homework :)
Jeff
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Jeff »

HigashiJun wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:09 am Just a question: will it possible to upgrade the FF firmware on your board (or even change it to HxC) ?
Since this appears to be based on the Gotek hardware, yes you can switch to the HxC firmware : This can be done easily with just an USB stick, no need to have any programmer/usb cable/usb serial adapter.
zaxon
Officer Cadet

Post by zaxon »

Cumana Reborn is still floppy drive. So glitches is normal. About DSK reading/writting i think is worth push Keir (Flash Floppy firmware author) is really friendly man and if enough people ask about proper Oric DSK support, keir can add it to next FF release.

About update firmware on Cumana Reborn , it is working and was tested under Flash Floppy firmware. https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki

Update firmware is simply, copy UPD file to pendrive , insert it, push encoder and power on drive, relesase ensoder. Update start from pendrive.

About HXC firmware, my drive was not tested on it, you do update on own risk .And in this way you lose the guarantee for drive . Sorry but i cannot support Cumana Reborn with third party firmware.

Pendrive, it was reason why , for first preordered units i add small one. On front panel is really small space to fit all. (display, knob, usb) I can do bigger drive but this increase price for 3D print, case cost, and postage (bigger is heavy)
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

Thank you all for these updates.

I can't wait anymore to have my Atmos back in shape to test everything...

Cheers.
HigashiJun
llopis
Private

Post by llopis »

I just uploaded a quick "first look" video about the Cumana Reborn drive and a quick comparison to the Cumulus interface. Overall, I'm absolutely loving it so far!
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

After a few weeks, I'd really like to replace the LCD display .. anyone done that yet? I find the current one very unusable.
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

I have replaced mine with "red characters on black background" one to match the Atmos colours.

The original grey ribbon has been also replaced with a black one.

The new LCD display is however the same type as the original one, as it fully meets my needs...
HigashiJun
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

llopis wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:28 pm I just uploaded a quick "first look" video about the Cumana Reborn drive and a quick comparison to the Cumulus interface. Overall, I'm absolutely loving it so far!
A very nice review !

Cheers.
HigashiJun
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Got mine today, thanks Zaxon! Looking great.
Can't test right now, will do and let you know how it goes.
tgrimwood
1st Star Corporal

Post by tgrimwood »

Finally got mine to work with a new 2amp power supply and 3-way splitter to power everything at once. Love how it looks and expands the Oric to whole new levels.
Attachments
2020-03-28 16.12.39.jpg
2020-03-28 16.12.39.jpg (2 MiB) Viewed 8647 times
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Having a DOS for Oric makes all the difference in the world. You suddenly find that its actually quite a powerful machine, once you get the tape handicap sorted.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

ibisum wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:14 pm Having a DOS for Oric makes all the difference in the world. You suddenly find that its actually quite a powerful machine, once you get the tape handicap sorted.
+1000

It makes all the difference. Not only for the disk access, which is nice an (above all) fast!, but also for the suddenly available 16K of extra RAM. I cannot imagine how they sold a computer with 64K of ram, and did not give a way for the programmer to access it all! But I am repeating myself here :)
zaxon
Officer Cadet

Post by zaxon »

Second batch is almost done.... :D
Attachments
gx3.jpg
gx2.jpg
gx1.jpg