ORIC SDCARD

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
Silicebit.
Flight Lieutenant

Re: ORIC SDCARD

Post by Silicebit. »

Here you can see the mod, no injuries to pcb tracks.

And here the PCB design.

http://www.retrowiki.es/viewtopic.php?f ... p200064773
Oric user since 1984. YouTube
protek
Pilot Officer

Post by protek »

I just bought an Erebus PCB from ebay. I would’ve bought an assembled one, but there didn’t seem to be any for sale at the moment. I’ve ordered all the components except the reset button and resistor for it. What is the resistor value? Also, what’s the type of the SD card reader module that is used with the 3D printed case?

I’m looking forward to get to assemble it.
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

The value of the resistor is 220 ohms.
The Sd module is the same for the 3D-printed case. I suppose that Mustangus soldered the 6pin connector on the opposite side of the pcb and the bent model was chosen.
We can solder directly the sd "Catalex" module on the main board but there is the risk of electrostatic damage on the sd module if the iron is not connected to earth.
cslee_work
2nd Star Corporal

Post by cslee_work »

Whatever happened to the original ORIC SDCARD that uses arduino nano ?
protek
Pilot Officer

Post by protek »

Received the Erebus PCB today. Still missing a few bits and bops but it is coming along nicely.

I probably need to create a custom case for it as my IDC connector has the latches.
cslee_work
2nd Star Corporal

Post by cslee_work »

I found that I could erase a UVPROM with an 18w UVC germicidal tube in less than 1 minute. If anyone needs to.
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

It looks good 8)
mikeb
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mikeb »

cslee_work wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:34 pm I found that I could erase a UVPROM with an 18w UVC germicidal tube in less than 1 minute. If anyone needs to.
Erase or nuke? Did you mount the tube inside the chip ;) ?

"The recommended erasure procedure is exposure to UV light at 253.7 nm of at least 15 Ws/cm2, usually achieved in 20 to 30 minutes with the lamp at a distance of about 2.5 cm"

1 min seems awfully fast, so either the EPROM wasn't programmed properly, didn't fully erase, that's a weapons-grade UVC lamp which needs a licence to operate, or something else is wrong here!
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

I use the special uv lamp for memory erasure, I need two exposures of 20 minutes to have a "blanking ok".
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

uv-eraser.jpg
My very old, but well-working Northern UV-Eprom eraser. The capacity is 6 pcs per load - average erase time ~15 min but I normally leave it for 25-30 min the success is 100%.

Be warned: Using any DIY-things as erasers is extremely dangerous!
protek
Pilot Officer

Post by protek »

I'm still waiting for a few items to arrive for my Erebus, including the SD card reader module. Is it possible to test the hardware without the SD card reader module? Will the Oric boot into an empty program list? The thing is that my 27C512 didn't pass the empty test in my programmer. It did however write the binary in, and while verify fails, looking at the file contents visually show that the binary should be in there in its entirety. The 27C512 is OTP, so I can't erase it. That's why I thought I'd test the hardware while I wait for the card reader, so I could try to source another 27C512, or possibly a W27C512, which should be a reprogrammable drop-in replacement.
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

You can try the Erebus without the SDcard module. Start the Oric and type CLOAD"" , you'll see "Memory Error," which means Erebus works. I tried the EEProm Winbond W27c512 and there are defects sometimes. With a UVProm, it's always worked.
protek
Pilot Officer

Post by protek »

The one 27C512 I got isn’t UV erasable. I first assumed it was an EEPROM, but unfortunately that wasn’t the case.
mikeb
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mikeb »

protek wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:58 am The thing is that my 27C512 didn't pass the empty test in my programmer. It did however write the binary in, and while verify fails, looking at the file contents visually show that the binary should be in there in its entirety.
I don't know if you or the chip-programmer are to blame there ;)

If your programmer is smart enough to do a blank-check before programming, then it absolutely should not program anything if the blank check failed!

Unless you clicked on the big "Warning! DO NOT DO THIS! Proceed anyway [Y/N]?" option, in which case, it's on you! :)

Verify fails -- not surprising, if some bits were already pre-programmed from 1 to 0 (if it's the same method as UVEPROMS) it's unlikely that all of those bits would have *also* been a 0 in your required target code. OTP and UVEPROMs are the same in that you can only program in one direction (UVEPROM is pushing 1 to 0 -- any 1's? Leave them alone!)

Either your programmer is outright misbehaving, or the "new" 27C512 was a used/faulty one.
protek
Pilot Officer

Post by protek »

I’d say it’s either a used chip or me accidentally having put the chip wrong way around and doing a blank check while it was like that.

Nevertheless, I think it wasn’t entirely full either, as the prommer was able to write the binary into the ”blank” section in the beginning and I’m able to read the written binary contents from the chip.