Amstrad 3" Floppy Drive question

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
jorodr
Flying Officer

Amstrad 3" Floppy Drive question

Post by jorodr »

Hello,
I'm happy to build my new Cumana controllers, but I have difficult with the drives. I have an old Jasmin drive, so I can use it, but I have 4 Amstrad CPC drives, so I want to try to connect them. The problem is that these drives have 26 pins interface, and the Oric Drives are with 34 pins. So my question is: does anybody know where I can find the 26 pins Amstrad drives pinouts? I can't find any info in the Internet.
My second question is: Can I connect 3.5" drive to Cumana if I reconfigure the drive to be set as "A" drive?
I hope for useful info :)
Thanks in advance,
George
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Hi - where are you getting the parts for the Cumana controllers? I am also interested in building one of these, so please share details as much as you can..
jorodr
Flying Officer

Post by jorodr »

Hello,
the most difficult parts are ofcource MB8877A and FDC9216. I have bought them on ebay.The rest are standart TTL-chips. The most difficult was 74LS221, but I have found them after a couple of days via shops. Tell me what parts you need and I'll try to help you.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Yup, I need an MB8877A and FDC9216, and 74LS221! Everything else has been simple to source, but those 3 parts are tricky .. if you know where to get them please share the details, or if you want to do a bulk order, that would also be cool ..
jorodr
Flying Officer

Post by jorodr »

How many 74LS221 you need? I have bought 10 today for 1 euro per peace.
FDC9216 are here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FDC9216B-Integrat ... 5d28d1538d
I have bought 5, so the people are serious.
Later I thing I can say you where to buy MB8877A.
But the main problem is floppy drive I thing. Tommorrow I'm waiting an old TEAC with jumpers, so I will set it to "A" and pray to work. Wish me success :)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

74LS221: I could use a few spare so I think .. 3?

Thanks for the link to FDC9216 .. I just bought 4! :)

And yes please, I'd love to know about where to get the MB8877A ..

I have the opportunity to find floppy drives here at work quite frequently, also ..
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

ibisum wrote: I have the opportunity to find floppy drives here at work quite frequently, also ..
mmm just one small question. As 3.5" floppies are getting quite uncommon and I can also find some here at work, are there any restrictions about the drives which are usable with the Oric? Any 3.5" drive could work with, for instance, a microdisc contoller?
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I was told that it was possible to use a 3.5" FD, in DD mode (if you can find one that supports *real* DD), so I guess so .. but the question is whether you can find a 3.5" DD floppy drive these days ..
jorodr
Flying Officer

HD vs DD

Post by jorodr »

Don't need DD drives at all. I'm happy to say that I've hust connected HD flopy drives to Cumana and they works fine. I just wanted to connect 3.5" driveas first drive to avoid booting from 3" drive. So the models I have succes are:
TEAC FD-235HF 6291 - the easy option - it has jumpers at the back for choise "A" or "B" drive
TEAC FD-235HF C282 - it needs opening the cover and some careful soldering
ALPS D33113 - same as TEAC C282 - it needs opening the cover and some careful soldering
The soldering is needed to breac connection between smd connection DS1 and carefully connect smd connection DS1.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

The thing is that I have access to several old computers which include 3.5" floppy drives, and I am not sure if it would be a nice idea to grab one or two of those in case I manage to connect them to the oric using a microdisc controller (real one, home-made or something simulating it)...

Mmmm... maybe it would be a better idea to just wait for the SD card interface :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Yeah, I tried to repair my psu, still not working :'(
Want SD card !
jorodr
Flying Officer

74LS221

Post by jorodr »

Here are 74LS221 too. It's the same seller as FDC9216.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/74LS221-Integrate ... 5191d05f0e
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Okay I've ordered it .. will build my interface as soon as possible, as I think it will help me continue the SD-driver work as quickly as possible ..
jorodr
Flying Officer

SD Driver

Post by jorodr »

If it will help for SD-driver you're writing and you have difficults building the Cumana, I can build one for you if you have board and I have MB8877A soon.
jorodr
Flying Officer

Amstrad drive

Post by jorodr »

Because of nobody answerd for the question of the topic I'm placing the answer here:

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/manuals/DDI-1%20F ... ual.en.rar

On the page 12 you can see the signals at 34-pin side to 26-pin side.
So the problem is if I want to make this drive as "b" (I want :) ), because there's no jumpers to set drive number on Amstrad drive. So I must reconfigure the cable.