Making an Oric "Reboot"

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
Chema
Game master

Making an Oric "Reboot"

Post by Chema »

Hello all.

Does anyone know if it's possible to make an Oric "reboot" from code? I mean perform as if a hard reset had been pressed.

Performing just a CALL DEEK(#FFFC) or jmp $f88f (after switching overlay ram off) does not work, as it does not seem to init SEDORIC again (boots with the white screen and no DOS).

This could ease some things with Space 1999, as I could make it load again from disk with no additional code.

Regards
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Interesting, never been thinking about how it worked with a disk drive.

I know that most Oric protections are doing the CALL DEEK(#FFFC) trick, no idea about how to get the reboot to work with the disc drive active !
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

In "Sedoric à nu", it is said (pages 482-483) that at the boot it's the routine in #EB7E IN THE MICRODISC ROM that is executed.

I don't know if there's a way to activate the Microdisc ROM by software, but you can still analyse and copy this routine somewhere (the Microdisc ROM being provided with Euphoric). Maybe it would work?
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Symoon wrote:In "Sedoric à nu", it is said (pages 482-483) that at the boot it's the routine in #EB7E IN THE MICRODISC ROM that is executed.

I don't know if there's a way to activate the Microdisc ROM by software, but you can still analyse and copy this routine somewhere (the Microdisc ROM being provided with Euphoric). Maybe it would work?
Not sure how to disassemble that routine :oops:

However I was thinking about setting some value on page 3 to make the disk drive init again... just don't know how to do so.

Maybe Fabrice knows the answer.... should drop him a line.

Cheers.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Chema wrote:
Maybe Fabrice knows the answer.... should drop him a line.
Guess it... the Master knew the answer :)

This is it. The question seems to be to enable the Microdisc EPROM before calling the routine in FFFC. And, also, Fabrice recommended to disable the Oric ROM. This is done clearing bits 7 and 1 in $314 respectively, so the code to reboot the Oric is:

Code: Select all

lda $0314
    and #%01111101
    sta $0314

jmp ($fffc)
Note this only works with Microdisc, not Jasmin or Telestrat, though.

Simple and brilliant. Thanks Fabrice!

EDIT: Obviously you can also call the routine at #EB7E as Symoon said. It also works fine.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Hum, wonder why creators of Sedoric did not redirected the FFFC handler to do a clean reset :(

All they had to do was to write EB7E there !
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Dbug wrote:Hum, wonder why creators of Sedoric did not redirected the FFFC handler to do a clean reset :(

All they had to do was to write EB7E there !
I noticed my last post was ambiguous... I meant you have to activate the EPROM and THEN call the routine in EB7E.
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

i would personally add a SEI at the start of that code, just incase an IRQ intercepted the code just after. :P