Issue 2 Oric-1 Repair

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
Vyper68
Flying Officer

Re: Issue 2 Oric-1 Repair

Post by Vyper68 »

This 3” Drive is a direct drive model so no drive belts Chema. I have managed to get it to fire up and the LED’s light up correctly. All I get now is “ Insert system disk “ and after a while “ No operating system on disk “ so I have made some progress. Maybe the drive is out of alignment?
I know my CPC6128 had alignment problems.
Oric Extended Basic V1.1
(C) 1983 Tangerine
37631 Bytes Free
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Ah, indeed. Did not remember that.

Yep. The No Operating System on Disk means it located a sector and read something without giving a read error. What did you do to make that progress?
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I also guess you checked for current consumption, just in case... you can find some reference values for both the 5 and 12v in standby and in operation in the manual linked in a previous post.
Vyper68
Flying Officer

Post by Vyper68 »

I took the 3” Drive apart and disconnected the logic board. The Index light sensor was pushed down so I straightened it up. Reflowed the pin headers for the connectors. Refitted it all back together and stuck a disk in and saw the LED and heard it spin up. So I didn’t do a great deal but something I did helped get it a bit further along. It doesn’t sound like the head is moving trying to find track Zero though so there is a ways to go.
Oric Extended Basic V1.1
(C) 1983 Tangerine
37631 Bytes Free
Vyper68
Flying Officer

Post by Vyper68 »

Chema wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:33 pm I also guess you checked for current consumption, just in case... you can find some reference values for both the 5 and 12v in standby and in operation in the manual linked in a previous post.
I haven’t done that but that is another thing to check :)
Oric Extended Basic V1.1
(C) 1983 Tangerine
37631 Bytes Free
mikeb
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mikeb »

Vyper68 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:39 pm . It doesn’t sound like the head is moving trying to find track Zero though so there is a ways to go.
It may be already on track zero, so doesn't need to move. Provoke it (carefully) by manually winding the head out onto the disk, then see if you get a nice satisfying seek-to-zero noise. Some heads will just slide if pushed, others need you to rotate the stepper motor for the worm drive. No forcing/breaking things! That will tell you if it the STEP and DIRECTION and "Track 0 detect" are doing something useful.
Vyper68
Flying Officer

Post by Vyper68 »

I was thinking of setting the Internal 3” drive to be drive “B” using the dip switch and connecting my Gotek as drive “A” that way I could load Sedoric and see if I can get the internal drive to do a “DIR” or format a spare 3” disk I have from my CPC.
Oric Extended Basic V1.1
(C) 1983 Tangerine
37631 Bytes Free