Oric Atmos manual wanted

Here is the place to discuss about the magazines (CEO Mag, OUM, Rhetoric, Theoric, Hebdogiciel, ... are all welcome here) and books.
robcook
Flying Officer

Re: Oric Atmos manual wanted

Post by robcook »

Rob won Baz's Atmos on eBay. Rob is extremely happy. Rob is celebrating with Heineken. Rob is bursting with enthusiam and wants to get his hands on the thing.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

This ONE ? IMHO the price is high but with (more) beer one can gulp it ;).
But anyway, retro-fun is priceless! Congrats and happy Oric-ing!
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

iss wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:26 am This ONE ? IMHO the price is high but with (more) beer one can gulp it ;).
But anyway, retro-fun is priceless! Congrats and happy Oric-ing!
That's the fella. A tiny bit over the average but worth every penny for the quality and reliability of the seller, plus the nice extras. I see Atmos prices exceeding 200 on a regularly basis soon. I reckon both buyer and seller reached a fair price here, which is a win-win.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Aha, and this european cup tape is unknowkn to me (and to Oric.org apparently)
Fancy recording and scanning soon? ;)
Badger
Pilot Officer

Post by Badger »

Considering the extras then I think its a fair price on both sides.

10 tapes at £5 each would be £50.

The books and magazibes probably £20-25 so £125 for the Atmos is in the right ballpark.

I would recomend the scart lead from retrocomputershack.
flag_uk Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic.
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

I have an Atmos. Here, in my hands. Rob owns a real, live Oric Atmos for the first time in twenty years or so.

Thanks to Andy for prompt international, secure delivery of the Atmos and a 'baz'illion extras that I didn't pay for. Far too generous.

Time to catch up. Can't wait for BASIC. Really can't wait for 6502 :/ And then the new developments. It's going to be fun for me - a worthy distraction from my usual work.

I couldn't be more chuffed - not a lot makes me happy these days and even fewer things make me REALLY HAPPY and receiving the Oric Atmos is one of those rare moments. Haven't booted it up yet. Savouring the moment (and I'm still working).
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Before you start it, please put something on the expansion bus to make sure you don't plug the +9v on the bus by mistake. You can use an old floppy drive cable connector, some sticky tape, polystyrene, etc..
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Dbug wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:43 pm Before you start it, please put something on the expansion bus to make sure you don't plug the +9v on the bus by mistake. You can use an old floppy drive cable connector, some sticky tape, polystyrene, etc..
+1 and if it does not come with the original PSU, check polarity before you blow anything. 9v centre positive, just the opposite of the one for the spectrum.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

What kind of plugs do you have in Spain? I guess it isn't the same as UK?

Found this. Someone has stuck an Oric sticker on the side of a power supply.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Transformado ... Sw47dZwjYK

If you want to swap the manual, Rob, send me a PM. I've a few tapes if you're interested.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Yep. That one will work perfectly, and it is 2A, enough to power the cumulus too :)
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

Steve M wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:05 pm What kind of plugs do you have in Spain? I guess it isn't the same as UK?

Found this. Someone has stuck an Oric sticker on the side of a power supply.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Transformado ... Sw47dZwjYK

If you want to swap the manual, Rob, send me a PM. I've a few tapes if you're interested.
That looks really good. Andy, the seller, included what I'm sure will be a reliable power supply but I recall only too well the perils of its reliability over time so I think I'll use what's arrived for now and order what you've suggested to replace it. Thanks.

Thank you all for the advice, warnings and tips. Still haven't booted it up yet - been busy, busy - but it means I've still got it in my future to boot it up for the first time and I'll only have that once :)

Re. manual. I told Andy not to bother sending the French manual. Pretty sure there wasn't an Atmos manual in the monster-pack he sent so I'll be on the hunt for that. I've decided not to bother seeking too high quality as it'll be thumbed through and well-used quick enough anyway.

ETA: I just noticed that the Spanish power supply on e-bay, whilst good, doesn't have an 'on/off' switch. Are these available anywhere to avoid the almost guaranteed wobbly power supply connection following lots of 'ins and outs'? TIA.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

You can get things like this.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-Inlin ... KTJayO_pAA

The one I have has a connector that is a bit too short so it's not really useful. If you can get one with a longer connector or can adapt it, then it'll work.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Steve M wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:09 am You can get things like this.

The one I have has a connector that is a bit too short so it's not really useful. If you can get one with a longer connector or can adapt it, then it'll work.
That's the same I have: It does not quite fit in the Oric... but if you have the Retro Computer Shack SCART cable, then it's not a problem anymore: You plug the switch on the SCART cable input, this way you can switch both the computer and scart at the same time.
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

Steve M wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:09 am You can get things like this.

I'm ordering this today - thank you for the suggestion - you're right, it's incredibly short but when used in conjunction with the RGB powered SCART lead kindly gifted to me from Andy, I think it'll be enough to switch on and off if I stretch a little :)

Thanks to everyone again for all the suggestions. They've been a useful reminder and I am following all the advice (ie. covering the expansion port). Watched Dbug's video about leads/cables today which was an invaluable refresher. Thanks, Dbug.
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

Crap. Supplier doesn't send to my destination (Tenerife).

Found this here -

Is it the same item? Or as its male > female, is it actually a better equivalent by allowing a longer cable?

TIA.

ETA: Might be same supplier - can't deliver to me here either.