8bit-Unity version 0.3.5

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: 8bit-Unity version 0.3.5

Post by Dbug »

Well, I'm in Norway, so... ;)
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

Dbug wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:12 pm Well, I'm in Norway, so... ;)
Feel stupid now.... :D Was convinced you lived in France.... But see now it is clearly in your profile, Oslo.
(Nice city by the way, but long time ago I was there.... last time in 2015. But more often actually during my original Oric youth years as my parents always went to Sweden close to the Norwegian border with us for holiday, going by ferry via either Gotenborg or Oslo)

No experience so far with Norwegian post, but my present Oric Atmos actually came from Sweden and was here pretty fast.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Mine is due to arrive here in Austria any day now .. looking forward to getting some 8-bit hub action!
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Yay! The 8-bit Unity hub has arrived in Vienna, Austria .. looking forward to plugging it in and trying out some SDK hacking over the weekend .. nice one 8-bit Dude!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

So mine just arrived, so far all I did was to try to get the wifi working, so here is a list of notes I took:
- Scan NOW does not work on version 0.1 of the firmware
- My secondary "guest" wifi did not work, apparently the password is too long and wraps over on the screen
- My main wifi did work, but I generally avoid putting devices that are not secure on it
- I wish the configuration could be done by putting a file on the sd card, because entering a long SSID and password with the joystick is not awesome
- After selecting "firmware check", it found a version 0.2 of both "wifi" and "core", and not it's been for 10 minutes on "Rebooting Hub!", which I guess means it's crashed because the thing normally boots in seconds...
- After manually rebooting (unplug/replug) the hub is properly at version v0.2, but the SSID and Password have reverted back to "8bit-unity/0123456789" which is kind of annoying, but apparently now "Scan Now" works, it finds the SSID of the device I had setup, but of course the password is gone, which is.... grrr..
- And yes, remember to do SAVE and Exit

Next step, download the software
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

So, how do you use the shoutbox thing?
I got all the tests passing, the joystick works (the mouse does not but it was not used in a while so it may be the mouse itself), how can I use the "oric twitter" thing?
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

Mouse also does not work for me, while that mouse (USB mouse via USB to PS/2) adapter does work on my Commodore 128 via PS/2 to 1351 adapter.

Shoutbox without mouse works with WASD keys for movement and Control for fire. Type message and click send.
Cumbersome without mouse, but for me it works, apart from the fact that it truncates the last char of the message.
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

Yesterday Dbug managed to connect his hub to the internet and to race with me through internet 8bits slick server.
He won the race but that's only because he was on a real Oric and I was on Oricutron.
Anyway.. it means that he is able to receive / send bytes from/to internet with his Oric.
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

Was indeed able to connect with mine also. But no one was online to play with (also I really suck at the game loosing big already against a computer on Easy).
So at me everything works, apart from the mouse.

Anyone getting the mouse working? Just to see if it is just my hub or a general issue.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

jbperin wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:38 am Yesterday Dbug managed to connect his hub to the internet and to race with me through internet 8bits slick server.
He won the race but that's only because he was on a real Oric and I was on Oricutron.
Anyway.. it means that he is able to receive / send bytes from/to internet with his Oric.
Yeah, please don't put rosy flowers on the experience by giving people impressions of what happened.

Yes I managed to connect and see you but:
- 5 out of 6 times I got "Time out"
- The chat was dupli dupli dupli duplicating the mess mess messages on my side
So yeah it "technically worked" but that was just not usable

Regarding the shootbox, I don't even have the program, how do you access it? All I have is "hub-demos.dsk" and "slicks-oric.dsk"

Regarding the mouse I only had one ps/2 mouse, but I tested it on my pc and it's not working, so I guess I need a new one :D
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

The shoutbox is part of the 8Bit OS image. I think still not publically distributed, got it via e-mail from 8 Bit Dude on request.
http://8bit-unity.com/?p=669

On the time-outs: yeah, recognise that. But after 3 or four times it always works, so no big bother unless it is also unstable during a session, which I could not test yet by lack of people online.
Chats in the shoutbox is still somewhat buggy as well with not always the posted messages loaded and shown correctly and the last character of every own message truncated.

So certainly a lot to do still, but also see lots of potential.

My biggest nuisance is the not working mouse. The 8Bit OS is hardly usable via WASD-Control instead of mouse and joystick is apparently not supported there.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Drats .. is there some way to configure things without a joystick? I have everything set up but left my joystick and mouse at the office in the city ..

(BTW, I found all the cool stuff in the c:\8bit-unity\build\ subdirectory, all the *-oric.bat files make .dsk ..)
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

Hey guys!

Sorry for not participating in the discussion earlier, though it is nice to see that people are sharing feedback.

The 8bit-Unity page for 8bit-OS has been updated with direct download for Lynx/Oric, so you can test the shoutbox.

I have discussed with DBug the slicks problems. Although the message time-out shows up, it is still possible to log to a game by pressing a number from 1 to 9 (there seems to be an issue with sending very long data buffers at present, I need to tweak the I/O timing to improve reliability). I will issue a new slicks disc asap.

In the meantime, despite the timeout on server list and chat bug, it is possible to actually race in slicks. All players should press "1"to start a race.

@Xander: the color scheme was indeed made for the Oric primarily! :-)
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

Quick update:
I found the reason for time-outs, the UART buffer between Wifi and Core is overflowing when too many bytes are sent at once, I should be able to figure out something quick. I *think* I also found the reason for resent CHAT messages.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

8bit-Dude wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:43 am I found the reason for time-outs, the UART buffer between Wifi and Core is overflowing when too many bytes are sent at once, I should be able to figure out something quick. I *think* I also found the reason for resent CHAT messages.
Cool :)
Will that just require a new version of the game, or also a firmware update on the hub?