8bit-Unity version 0.3.5

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: 8bit-Unity version 0.3.5

Post by Dbug »

My DELL mouse is now kind of working, the only weird thing is that the X position only goes between 0 and 159 instead of 0-239 (the Y position correctly goes from 0 to 199, and the three buttons work)
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

With the help of 8Bit Dude via chat I have now my old native Logitech PS/2 mouse (no wheel, no laser) working.

Thanks!
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

Dbug wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:08 pm My DELL mouse is now kind of working, the only weird thing is that the X position only goes between 0 and 159 instead of 0-239 (the Y position correctly goes from 0 to 199, and the three buttons work)
I have adopted a frame of 160x200 across all platforms, for compatibility in online games/apps. Oric rescales that to 234 (first column used for AIC attributes) .
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Is it technically possible to make that on option, like the Oric could set some other value?

I'm thinking of other uses of the hub, like making a painting program for example, something where the pixel accuracy is actually important.
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

I will modify Hub before the week-end, so it outputs X/Y motion instead of some absolute coordinates.
(now is the time to do it, before there are too many users).
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Question: The 8bit hub is made of Arduino, is that correct?
Do you have any pin still available for anything? I was basically wondering if this type of thing was doable:
https://www.instructables.com/Send-and- ... h-Arduino/
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

Answer: About a dozen digital pins, and all analog pins are unused. The Serial2 pins are also available.
So it should be possible to implement.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Answer: About a dozen digital pins, and all analog pins are unused. The Serial2 pins are also available.
So it should be possible to implement.
Cool :)
With a MIDI IN, you can basically transform any Oric, Lynx or C64 into a retro synth on which you can play soundchip musics with an external keyboard or sequencer... and with a MIDI OUT you could make an Oric play symphonic quality music on some proper audio hardware :D
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Yeah, +1 for MIDI!
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

8bit-Unity was discussed on a MO5 live show yesterday. The Oric was a little bit the topic of Jokes, but I stepped-in to defend its reputation! :D

Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

The whole thing ended up with a miniature explosion on Twitter (starts in French and then switches to english):

Basically the root of the problem is that MO5.com does not talk about platforms like the Oric because none of the sources they follow talks about the Oric (mostly because they are american), so if I want MO5.com to talk about the Oric, I need to either inform them, or manage to get some of the source they follow (like Indy Retro News) to publish news about Oric games, ideally with proper screenshots, videos, and some interesting blurb of text that would interest the readers.

So I blasted a bunch of recent games as well as the big "can't miss" ones, to show that yes, there are Oric games, just tell us where to inform you, and the guy answered that ok, I'll try to get an article about the Oric soon.

Time will tell :)