Sell me a data recorder! Price no object!

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Symoon
Archivist

Re: Sell me a data recorder! Price no object!

Post by Symoon »

Symoon wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:55 pm BTW do you hear the file playing through your Atmos speaker? When working fine, on all machines I suppose, it can be heared if you're close enough and paying attention.

Last option: could you post one of your WAV files somewhere, so I can download it and try loading it on my machines? ;)
About hearing the WAV file in the Atmos speaker: that's when it's in Searching mode ;)
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

Symoon wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:55 pm BTW do you hear the file playing through your Atmos speaker? When working fine, on all machines I suppose, it can be heared if you're close enough and paying attention.

Last option: could you post one of your WAV files somewhere, so I can download it and try loading it on my machines? ;)
I don't hear a loading sound from the Atmos and I've put my ear literally on top of it!

Happy to send you a .wav file - should I e-mail it to you?
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

Trying to attach a .wav file now.
Attachments
SHOOT.wav
(260.04 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

Right, we have some success! Albeit via a long-winded method! I have successfully loaded the .wav file from my NEW W10 laptop to the Atmos.

So, at the moment, my only route to writing stuff on the Atmos, saving and reloading it is to:

1. Write program on the Atmos
2. Use Audacity to save the file as a WAV to my XP laptop as my W10 laptop does NOT have a microfone port
3. E-mail the WAV file from my XP laptop to my W10 laptop
4. Reload the WAV file to the Atmos via the earphone port on my W10 laptop

It's a messy solution and I'm still hopeful that I can either (a) get my XP laptop to load to the Atmos or (b), purchase some kind of adapter that will give my W10 laptop a microphone port. I assume the latter is possible?

In any event, this is the furthest we've gotten so far!
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

Another update and more progress achieved. I can now exclude my W10 laptop from the routine of saving and loading as I have successfully managed to re-load files to the Atmos from my XP machine using VLC media player. The only strange thing is that it only works if I unplug the microphone lead from the XP laptop whilst loading, which seems weird but not a big hassle. So I'd say we're 99% there.

To really get going, I only now need to sort myself a proper monitor so I'm not relying on a crappy Samsung TV. Easier said than done during our strict lockdown but it can wait. I am more than a little rusty to say the least re. programming and it almost feels like I'll be learning from step one again but I am very much looking forward to the challenge.

I want to thank everyone who has helped me get this far.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Good news, well done ;)
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

Thanks, Symoon, but I think you guys did most of the work :)

I'd like to convert some of my .tap files to WAV so I can load them into my Atmos for testing (and play!). Do you recommend any specific software for this conversion? I don't believe it's an option in Audacity, which seems crazy for audio files software! I'm just trying to ensure my Atmos is working properly as last night I couldn't get a simple PEEK instruction to work (always getting a SYNTAX ERROR) but it's no doubt my rustiness at play.
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

Grrr. Always a problem somewhere. I'm still finding it impossible to convert .tap files to .wav - either on my XP or W10 machine. I've downloaded the tap2wav.exe file from https://sourceforge.net/projects/euphor ... %20format/ but clicking/running it pops up something that then vanishes before I can even see what it was. Usually this should be the easy part :(
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

Okay, I think I've got this working.... had trouble getting my laptop to locate the files. Still testing...
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

Bloody hell. That took some working out. For some reason, the MS DOS RUN prompt (on my XP machine) couldn't locate anything in folders with a space in the name so I had to move it all to the C: drive and nowhere else. As I type, I've got the Oricium WAV file nicely loading up on my Atmos, ready for my real play on a real Oric for the first time! :) Had an initial 'omg, what now?' when it wouldn't load but I had to simply reduce the VLC Player's volume and it worked.

No more problems, please....
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Congrats :)

I suggest you write down somewhere the solution that worked, so next time you remember, and for the space problem, sometimes you can cheat by using a SUBST from the old complicated path to a new virtual drive letter.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

With XP's MS-DOS you can go into a folder with a space by typing Something like : CD "my folder with spaces"
8)

With TAP2WAV, don't forget the option to add a silence at the end of the WAV file if it remains at "Loading" state once the WAV played. Some player like to play bad tricks to sound files by not playing the very end…

And once you're feeling good with all these, if you're not fed up, then you can try TAP2F16, TAP2CD or Novalight :wink:
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

Dbug wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:55 pm Congrats :)

I suggest you write down somewhere the solution that worked, so next time you remember
Way ahead of ya :) It's in a notepad file!
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

BTW, had issues with Oricutron. It seemed to load fine but then crashed on the intro screen. Not sure why. Have loaded up Zorgon's Revenue which works perfectly and had lots of fun watching the wife playing it for ages, getting frustrated and addicted :)
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Are you still wanting a cassette player? I could get hold of one and post it.

(We're able to get couriers to come and collect stuff. )