More Oric stuff on YouTube

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
robcook
Flying Officer

More Oric stuff on YouTube

Post by robcook »

Seems our Oric is getting more and more attention these days. Both the Oric 1 and Atmos (and Tangerine) covered in this YouTube vid:

ibisum
Wing Commander

Re: More Oric stuff on YouTube

Post by ibisum »

Ooh, I sometimes get a bit possessive of Oric-1 - watching this video I was really hoping they wouldn't go into too much detail. ;)
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Some guy called "RobC" keeps encouraging that John Cage guy to make videos about Oric games. You'd think if you were going to video yourself playing games that you'd have some basic ability to play games - but not the Youtubers. Why bother learning about the computer or the game before playing? No, just dive headlong into it and then act surprised when it all goes horribly wrong.

If you believe what's on Youtube, the Earth is flat, the Moon landing was faked and 9/11 was an inside job. Detuning your guitar will have magic properties with 440Hz being imposed on us by the Nazis. 5G is going to turn your brain to mush, the chemtrails are the government dumbing us down and vaccines don't work.

If you want to see the Oric on Youtube it's nice to have someone that actually knows something about it, and owns one. The DBug videos should give you plenty to look at - they are long enough !!!
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Gosh you can learn something from these annoying guys that keep saying 'sixty-five 02'. Never heard the keyboard called a 'chiclet' keyboard before. That bit is legit at least. Saying the Oric has 6 x 1 graphics cells and less colour clash is not so clever.
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

Guilty as charged :) To be fair to John, he does exactly what he admits to - a quick test and then dives straight into the game.

Not my fault this time but we've got Pulsoids!

Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Well, the way I see it, the more Oric is mentioned, the better, and we can still comment on videos to point out errors or provide additional information when people ask questions :)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I admit, I suggested Pulsoids after the last review, which was painful.

Cool to see Oric getting some attention, I'm getting over my issues with hipster Youtube channels, and am gonna embrace them actually - it seems with the rise of retro lately, folks seem to recognise its strengths and include it as an oddity in the field, which of course we all know it isn't anything but the #1 player. ;)
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

Dbug wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:56 pm Well, the way I see it, the more Oric is mentioned, the better, and we can still comment on videos to point out errors or provide additional information when people ask questions :)
Totally agree :) I am most definitely going to be sending more games for John to review. Even the bad games are hilariously reviewed and I like that he doesn't push (or even have) a Patreon account, providing all the entertainment for free. I think maybe next... Insect Insanity to send him over the edge.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

The problem with asking to review bad games, is that this unfortunately propagate the idea that the Oric was a terrible machine.
That may be funny to watch, but the long term negative effects are not awesome.

I'd rather see people only try all the good games, and specially the recent ones: It's super demotivating when people spend months making awesome new games, but all other people talk about is Xenon 1 or The Ultra, what they played "in the good old times".
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

Dbug wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:23 pm The problem with asking to review bad games, is that this unfortunately propagate the idea that the Oric was a terrible machine.
Have to agree with you there, hence Damsel In Distress being worth a review 'cos it wasn't 'bad' exactly, just damn difficult! If I wanted to send a lousy game, I'd fire off Killer Caverns or Spooky Mansion :) Or maybe something I wrote!

Pretty sure Insect Insanity qualifies as a good, old-school game.
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

We will avoid Carmaniac :lol:
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Dbug wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:23 pm The problem with asking to review bad games, is that this unfortunately propagate the idea that the Oric was a terrible machine.
Also experienced someone testing one of my programs with apparently a faulty emulator that kept thinking he was pressing the wrong keys… Nothing worked, and my full name was associated to that crap, how cool ;)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

John should do Blakes 7 next...
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I he do Blake's 7, or any complex game, make sure he reads the documents before, like at least on how the UI works.