Oriclopedia: A series of videos on all things Oric

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
iss
Wing Commander

Re: Oriclopedia: A series of videos on all things Oric

Post by iss »

Dbug wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:40 pm Regarding the machines, I will have to wait for the diagnostic cartridge from Vyper, but what I can tell you is that the motherboard uses 2 memory chips (tms4464-15nl) instead of the usual 8, and nowhere is written "Designed by Tangerine Computer Systems Ltd" (but there is a "ORIC 1".

One of the machines is missing the ULA and the ROM, one does boot and start, you can type, you can hear the sound of the clickety, can zap,explode, etc... but the display is garbled, like if the ULA was not decoding the right locations for the display.
The situation will require some work but it's not disaster :).
The 2-chips 4464 exemplar is rare and interesting, I expect to get such one soon. Else I can supply you with how many ULA's you want. Unfortunately I don't have any 2-chips (i.e. the ROM equivalent of 2764) original ROM's, may be I have one spare original 27128, need to check. PM me what you may need it will be send with the Exos.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Nice pack! Surely you can make at least one working machine with those. I am really interested about the differences... will they run modern software?
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

That was a delightful video to watch! Would be grand to see you got the Goteks' in there ..
kaydav
Officer Cadet

Post by kaydav »

Great video, and how exciting! I've not heard of a Nova 64 before. Do you know whether the 64 indicates the amount of RAM? What differences do you expect between these and the Atmos?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

kaydav wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:28 am Great video, and how exciting! I've not heard of a Nova 64 before. Do you know whether the 64 indicates the amount of RAM? What differences do you expect between these and the Atmos?
Well, even the Oric Atmos 48k has 64k of ram, just that you can't access the entire ram :)

I guess they changed the name in hope of having a chance on the market place against machines advertising more memory (like the C64).

Regarding the differences, I was only expecting changes making the machine either easier or cheaper to produce: It's supposed to be 100% compatible with the Oric Atmos at the software level.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Dbug wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:20 amRegarding the differences, I was only expecting changes making the machine either easier or cheaper to produce: It's supposed to be 100% compatible with the Oric Atmos at the software level.
Will see... I've just got one (from the same source)! 8)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

iss wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:44 pm
Dbug wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:20 amRegarding the differences, I was only expecting changes making the machine either easier or cheaper to produce: It's supposed to be 100% compatible with the Oric Atmos at the software level.
Will see... I've just got one (from the same source)! 8)
Good!
I'm glad you got one, so if I struggle with the repair I can pick your brain!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Took a long time, had a bunch of issues (literally!), but there it is, another long Oriclopedia about Théoric (as well as Računari and Svet Kompjutera):

Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

I won't give you an Oscar for the fake reading at the beginning :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: , but the overall video quality has really much improved!
Good sound, great pictures, ... The result of the work is visible and that's cool ;)

Haven't watched it all yet, but one thing: J-C Talar wasn't Mr Oric France (that was the Taïeb family), but Mr Oric International! (Well ok, France too, behind the curtain).
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Symoon wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:30 am I won't give you an Oscar for the fake reading at the beginning :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: , but the overall video quality has really much improved!
Good sound, great pictures, ... The result of the work is visible and that's cool ;)
I added quick links to all the parts of the video in the description so it's easier to navigate.
And yes, the fake reading... I'm trying new things, to make long arid videos less boring :D
Haven't watched it all yet, but one thing: J-C Talar wasn't Mr Oric France (that was the Taïeb family), but Mr Oric International! (Well ok, France too, behind the curtain).
I added an errata in the description text. Thanks :)
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Nice video DBug.
A very good report and thanks a lot for giving us the links to read these strange magazines of the 80's
I'll look deeper in the files i've as i'm sure i've some theoric disks somewhere, working with oricutron
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

coco.oric wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:52 pm Nice video DBug.
A very good report and thanks a lot for giving us the links to read these strange magazines of the 80's
I'll look deeper in the files i've as i'm sure i've some theoric disks somewhere, working with oricutron
I'm actually glad I'm done with that one, covering Théoric was on my list of things to do for a long while, but there was so much material that it could have been super boring.

Regarding Théoric disks, they are not actually super practical, even if you can load them, imo, it's much better (even if that takes a hell of time) to have the individual programs on separate .TAP files directly possible to load with Erebus or Oricutron, than having to figure out on which disk is a particular program, and then how to use it! (games are ok, but things like the utilities or machine language routines are not obvious to use at all)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Since there's recently been a large number of people being confused about Erebus, Cumulus, Cumana, etc... I made a video about it.
Hopefully I got my facts right, but if there are incorrect things, please mentioned them and I will put some addendum in the description.
Thanks!
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

I found no error, the video values ​​readers well.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

I think several tape games were converted to Sedoric/Stratsed by Oric International. For instance Damien, that just posted about Oric Explorer, converted Lorigraph for them.
Couldn't give you more titles, but take a look at the Theoric magazine which has the complete Oric catalogue (one with a green cover), it should help.

As an extra, a bit off topic, you also could have added "a computer" as source for playing WAV files. A tape player with much less downsides, when the WAV is made.

Now I'm going to bother you with scans/overview pics/WAV file of Canada ;)