Oric logo and trademark

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Oric logo and trademark

Post by Dbug »

I did some tests for the logo:

I started with a 1200 dpi scan of the large logo I had on my Tansoft box:
http://defence-force.org/download/oric/ ... dpiRaw.png

from that scan, I did some cleanup and shaping, which resulted into that:
http://defence-force.org/download/oric/ ... nBlack.png
http://defence-force.org/download/oric/ ... nWhite.png
http://defence-force.org/download/oric/ ... parent.png
http://defence-force.org/download/oric/ ... Shadow.png

for reference, here is the difference between the two pictures:
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Looks great!
NekoNoNiaow
Flight Lieutenant

Post by NekoNoNiaow »

ibisum wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 6:11 pm >I'm afraid he's far too busy with real life right now.

Then perhaps we ought to have a call to arms in the Oric community to ensure we are safe from these criminals.
A trademark is something you buy the rights to. That company asserts that it owns the trademark so this means they bought the rights to it from the proper governmental office.

If anything, this highlights the need for retro community to not just assume that everything is "abandonware" (a notion which moreover has zero legal basis) and instead start owning for real the rights to the concepts they intend to protect, and obviously that means pay for it.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Not really true. Abandoned trademarks can be re-registered by others after 3 years of demonstrated abandonment. If nobody steps up to defend the re-registration, this is perfectly legal.

What this really highlights is we shouldn't assume that someone won't do this to us, if we think our trademarks are no longer possessed by a legal entity.
mikeb
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mikeb »

NekoNoNiaow wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 1:19 am A trademark is something you buy the rights to. That company asserts that it owns the trademark so this means they bought the rights to it from the proper government office
It's something you *can* buy the rights to. It's also something you can assert "Hey, I just invented this brand/logo!" and if no-one notices/challenges, you get away with it.

See my earlier comments about Linux[tm]. The wonderful chap that registered the trademark did not buy it from anywhere, invented a usage case for why he felt he should have it for use with his IT related products. Part of the reason it was struck out is that he claimed to have never heard of "Linux" being used in any context to do with IT/software/operating systems before his novel new use of it.

Presumably he must have been deeply shocked to find out how many infringing companies there were damaging "his brand" and was compelled to start writing to them for damages as soon as he became aware.

Yeah. Right. As an IT professional, you can't claim to have never heard of Linux. Like penguins, that excuse doesn't fly.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Dbug wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:01 am
- The "C" is not correctly closing: If you imagine you put a small black square in the "mouth" of the C, in mine the angle is larger than 90 degrees, on the actual Oric one it's less than 90 degrees
There are two versions of the logo. The original version has a more closed, bigger C. The French version has a smaller C with a bigger opening.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

I think this firm just wants to market some products legally and can't take over existing tradmarks so they've designed their own which are different to the original.
I bet it's hard work finding out who, if anyone owns the rights to Oric. So it's a lot simpler doing new logos that look similar. I doubt they have any interest in taking over Oric.org, so long as we aren't trying to sell hats. I would have thought that any online Oric interest would potentially lead to more sales for them. So it would seem unlikely they would try and attack us.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

What do you think about this: ORIC® UV HYBRID PRINTER :?:
... even in Atmos colors :x
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Oh, never in the era of digits have I ever had a buy reflex and instant finger stomp for this particular item.

If my wife finds out, she'll make knickers, and then it'll be on like donkey.bas. So, I better refrain, but I sure, sure wanna sport this goofy hood ..
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

There's something wrong with having their Atmos era Oric logo next to an Oric-1.
Magoric
Officer Cadet

Post by Magoric »

"Patent Trolls" (or in this case, copyright) always there has been. It is a bug in the system, and people trying to hack it.

But beyond this, if anybody try to appropriate an historical resource like Oric name or logo as yours, avoiding to the rest to use it, it turn in a barrier to develop the concept. One example is the insane Commodore Amiga case, with lawsuits in court in many ways (Operative system, name, ...).

If you want to win money with the logo or with the image, for me it is ok, but not at the cost of preventing others from doing so as well. And I think this is the case.

Oric form part of the happy times of my past (sure yours too) and this class of action make me angry.

But leaving aside the emotional side, as Chema say, this is not the Oric logo. This is a logo very similar to the Oric. It is like a Pikachu and PyKachu. Similar but not the same.

It is what you get if you try to buy an actionman toy in the vilage gas station store.

This is not Oric logo, and the real Oric fans, know it.

Image Image