Caloric for windows

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

Another option would be to retrofit the ORIC specific logic into Vice. IIRC it has separate programs for all commodore machines already.

Fact is ((x)euph|cal)oric emulation is still x86 asm so it's not really portable, and it's also awful to work through. It was needed in the 386 times, but not anymore, and should probably be rewritten anyway.
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

Update:
I fixed some keyboard issues recently.
Then I found out there was a hidden publically accessible svn server with the sources... but when updating introduced many conflicts with my port... fixed them but the current version doesn't work anymore, seems Jean-Yves has been rewriting the cpu emulation in C (which is a good thing) but hasn't finished yet.
The sources for latest working version are available here:
http://revolf.free.fr/oric/caloric-ming ... 062008.zip
and a diff against the current svn:
http://revolf.free.fr/oric/caloric-ming ... 8.diff.txt
I mailed those to Jean-Yves, will see if my SDL fixes finally get into it.
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Is it possible in Caloric under Linux to monitor areas of memory affected (modified) by the current program?
With this is will be possible to understand the areas of memory used by any sid music played on the oric and could be useful for other stuff too.
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

No idea.
Btw, Jede managed to make a win32 build with the GTK debugger from my sources... wait and see.
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

Hello,

Debugger starts now (windows version), anyway, it does not work yet. There is some problem with some signals in GTK.

I'll try to correct that.

Anyway, Euphoric sound is better than caloric sound. It's a problem in xeuphoric version. I corrected that 6 years ago, but the patch had never been inserted. I will try to fix this too (I can't remind what it is)
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

Hello,

It's done, debugger is working like linux version

http://www.oric.org/caloric/caloric_debug_win.PNG

There are many bugs, and fullscreen does not work.

I don't release a version, there is too much bugs (like zoom, scanline emulation, fullscreen).

The emulator is slow in zoom=3. I will have a look (Maybe a problem with SDL rendering)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

That's good news !

Great seing you back on the Oric :)
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

Hello,

Here is a working version (windows port of caloric with debugger):

http://www.oric.org/caloric/Caloric.zip

I removed scanline emulation and fullscreen, because it's not working.

Anyway, there is a problem with SDL rendering, it could be faster (for example *2 zoom, is quite slow).

You must unzip it in c:\Program Files
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Could someone tell where are the most recent/updated source for Caloric, with Jede's windows patches, and all the sdl and audio fixes, ideally with all versions (linux, windows, etc...) ?
Jylam
Private

Post by Jylam »

Hey guys (long time no see blaah blaaaah) !

Ok, I'm quite ashamed not to answer mails I receive, and letting this project die of its bad death. But.

I see there's a *port*, so I guess the codebase is almost the same (and that's a pity, iirc it was a real mess). So, what about merging everything in a proper SVN, so everyone could improve this piece of sh^W hardwork ?
(I'm currently an OSX user, and I'd like to have a good oric emulator too) (and I've got most of a 6502 and peripherals emulator written in C, too, thought I don't think I have got that many time to work on it)

May God be ... no, kidding.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

That would be great to have all that merged back together, with a native Mac OS version :)
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

Oh, look who's here :)

Well indeed, I did send you my diffs and sources quite some time ago, maybe you changed your email ?
Subject: Caloric port to mingw
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 00:47:42 +0200 CEST
Message-Id: <646655881-BeMail@laptop>

I noticed the svn server was publically accessible, so I switched to it, but then I was in the middle of a work in progress...

Anyway they are still here:

The last working sources, before I svn upped:
http://revolf.free.fr/oric/caloric-ming ... 062008.zip

The diff to svn HEAD from that time, links but doesn't work:
http://revolf.free.fr/oric/caloric-ming ... 8.diff.txt

Then there are other fixes jede added to my version to support the debugger in windows.

Sadly I lost the server I was working on to crossbuild, so I can't work on it atm.
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

Hello,

Why not a caloric on a svn server. I could work on it, but, there is a lack of interest with this emulator.

I think people prefers to use euphoric under a vmware or dosbox.
Yicker
Pilot Officer

Post by Yicker »

Hi Jede,

Certainly no lack of interest from me :-)

I prefer to use Caloric on my laptop running Vista than using DOSBox etc.

Scott
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

jede wrote:Hello,

Why not a caloric on a svn server. I could work on it, but, there is a lack of interest with this emulator.

I think people prefers to use euphoric under a vmware or dosbox.
There is no lack of interest:
- I sent you a mail (on the supposedly valid adress you are reading) asking for the latests patch, plus the message in the forum, asking for the source of the version you released, because I wanted to make some fixes and the sources are not available.
- Euphoric is less and less usable, specially if you want to have good sound.
- There is a SVN server up and running already, and the folder for caloric has been there for about two weeks but I can't put it there until I got the sources.

The repository is here:
http://miniserve.defence-force.org/svn/ ... s/caloric/

If you send me a mail/message with the password you wish to have, I will create an account for you.