Euphoric and DosBOX

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
Dbug
Site Admin

Euphoric and DosBOX

Post by Dbug »

Still on my way to try to find out the best way to get a windowed version of Euphoric, I tried DosBox.

The software is actually quite simple to use, and Euphoric runs partly fine. At least I can run programs, and have access to the debugger.

One problem exist... it crashes when I press F1 to access the menu page.

But at least the result is a Windowed version of Euphoric running with sound without having to install VMWare, and DosBOX is also available for Linux users, so this may be of interest for many people :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Ok, never mind, the crash using F1 was because the OSDK was still using the old 1004a version of Euphoric.

I upgraded to build 1007, updated the associated documentation, and added a way to have the OSDK automaticaly use DOSBox if it is installed.

So next version should have Euphoric in a Windows :D
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

:D Woua,
a PC run WindowsXP , wich emule the DOS, witch run Euphoric, wich emule an Oric :idea:

have you a windows demo tu run in euphoric ? :lol:

great DBUG, a windowed euphoric is a nice thing
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Ok, after chatting about it, i thought it a good time tonight to try some sonix music again. So i loaded up VPC but found sound was diasabled. After spending 15 minutes trying to figure out why no sound, i gave up.

So i turned to DOSBOX. After a bit of config i got it loaded (I seem to need to set the cycles to 13700 and sound rate to 44100).
Unfortunately on entering Sonix and laying down a few notes, i realised the = character didn't work.
On further exploration i also found the following keys didn't work either...
[ Open square bracket
] Close square bracket (Shows open square bracket)
' Apostraphe
# Hash (Shows Open square bracket too)
\ Backslash
` key left of 1

On inspection of the readme help file, it is a known issue and their are a few suggestions...
1. Switch your keyboard layout.
Yeah right, and upset my keyboard for every other app i am using?
2. Use / instead.
ok for backslash in dos, but not useful for = replacement
3. Open dosbox.conf and change usescancodes=false to usescancodes=true.
Didn't have any effect. Infact was set to True anyway. Inverting had no effect.
4. Add the commands you want to execute to the "configfile".
What? and where is the help regarding binding keys?
5. Start the keymapper (CTRL-F1 or add -startmapper switch to DOSBox).
Ok, a little more luck in this suggestion. Managed to map all keys, pressed save and then exited (btw nothing happens on screen to confirm the save). Restarted DOSBOX but only ] and # mapped.
6. Use ALT-58 for : and ALT-92 for \.
Fat lot of good for =
7. for \ try the keys around "enter". For ":" try shift and the keys
between "enter" and "l" (US keyboard layout).
I'll ignore that one since their is no other key for =
8. Use keyb.com from FreeDOS (http://projects.freedos.net/keyb/).
Not tried yet, will get back on this.

Not found anything useful on forum here yet...

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewforum.php?f=31

At the moment, i am at a total loss to know how to write music without Sonix and/or Sound. :(
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

phew, completely restarted VPC and sound has been restored, so for now will use VPC for sonix and space 1999 music ;P
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Version 0.70 of DosBox has been released :)

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net

--------------
DOSBox 0.70
Another year and another dosbox version, again more speedups and compatibility fixes.
* Speed up the dynamic cpu core (certain games get much faster).
* Add a dynamic fpu on x86 hosts.
* Improve the cycle guessing code (and make it default).
* Better and more configurable joystick support.
* Improve the image and fat drives.
* Add nullmodem emulation.
* Various win 3.x enhanchments (video/audio/ems/win32s).
* Improve CDROM detection and support.
* Speed up the screen drawing code.
* Add support for different keyboard layouts.
* Various fixes to the (C/E/V)GA emulation.
* Extend and improve all types of emulated memory. (umb/ems/xms)
* Dynamic core should work on Intel Macs.
* Various timer related fixes.
* Added a few more graphic scalers.

Some default settings have been changed in this one so be sure to update your configfiles and read the readme
--------------

I tested it with Euphoric, works at least as well than the version 0.65 on my machine. And some of the DOS games I tried that crashed with version 0.65 now work fine :)

May be worth a try !
Steve M
Squad Leader

Re: Euphoric and DosBOX

Post by Steve M »

Dbug wrote:Still on my way to try to find out the best way to get a windowed version of Euphoric, I tried DosBox.

The software is actually quite simple to use, and Euphoric runs partly fine. At least I can run programs, and have access to the debugger.
)

The problem I had with DOSBox was the way it looks for drives - or rather it doesn't - you had to point to a file on a particular drive. This meant that looking at drive A: was next to impossible as there wasn't a set location to aim at.

I couldn't find how to navigate back from a position that was sepcified so it meant you didn't have proper access to a drive.
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Euphoric and DosBOX

Post by Dbug »

Steve M wrote:
Dbug wrote:Still on my way to try to find out the best way to get a windowed version of Euphoric, I tried DosBox.

)

The problem I had with DOSBox was the way it looks for drives - or rather it doesn't - you had to point to a file on a particular drive. This meant that looking at drive A: was next to impossible as there wasn't a set location to aim at.

I couldn't find how to navigate back from a position that was sepcified so it meant you didn't have proper access to a drive.
Strange, I've been using the mount command without any problem to point to whatever area of my pc I was interested by.

I have not tried to mount the dosbox A: on my PC A: so perhaps I should try that.