What works on Erebus? Welcome to Oric and best other demo.

Want to discuss about Demos on the Oric, here you are !
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

What works on Erebus? Welcome to Oric and best other demo.

Post by xahmol »

Recently received my Erebus. All works excellent, already played a few games that work well and load really fast.

I did already know before I ordered it that multi-part loaders would not work on Erebus, and indeed encounter that known limitation on the 'Welcome to Oric Atmos' .tap image I tried, at least it stucks at the Please wait screen forever.

Can you confirm that indeed the 'Welcome to Oric Atmos' .tap image does not work on the Erebus? Or are there patched .tap images out there that do work?
Ask for nostalgic reasons, as I have fond memories of that demo tape and would love to see it again on real hardware. Do not have the physical tape anymore though, nor a cassette player capable of loading it from if I would.

I already also ordered a Cumana Reborn, but that will take some patience still as it is pre-order. Does converting the .tap image of Welcome to Oric Atmos to a disk image for the Cumana work? Or is that thinking to easily?

And while I am at it: are there demo's out there where I can show off my Oric Atmos real hardware with that do work with the Erebus? See that the best rated demo's require a disk.
And is there also an overview out there somewhere of .tap images confirmed to be working on an Erebus?

(and sorry for the maybe n00b questions: I have fairly recently obtained an Oric Atmos again, so still discovering what is possible and what is out there nowadays. I have been longer playing with modern mass storage options for my Commodore 128D and my ZX Spectrum 128, but just starting for my Oric)
kenneth
Squad Leader

Re: What works on Erebus? Welcome to Oric and best other demo.

Post by kenneth »

The Hobbit and DefenceForce are now compatible:
https://forum.defence-force.org/viewtop ... =20&t=2118
3DFongus Harrier
https://forum.defence-force.org/viewtop ... 3&start=30

The Demo program is a special multipart file, then it is not compatible.
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

Thanks.

Just wondering: anything like the TZXDuino/CASduino/TAPduino for Oric to emulate ‘real’ tape loading for those images that won’t work otherwise?
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

xahmol wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:00 pmJust wondering: anything like the TZXDuino/CASduino/TAPduino for Oric to emulate ‘real’ tape loading for those images that won’t work otherwise?
Soon!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

xahmol wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:28 pm I already also ordered a Cumana Reborn, but that will take some patience still as it is pre-order. Does converting the .tap image of Welcome to Oric Atmos to a disk image for the Cumana work? Or is that thinking to easily?
Normally the Sedoric 3 floppy already comes with the "Welcome" already present :)
xahmol wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:28 pm And while I am at it: are there demo's out there where I can show off my Oric Atmos real hardware with that do work with the Erebus? See that the best rated demo's require a disk.
One of my only tape based demo is in practice only usable on emulator, and it was not that good in first place:
https://www.defence-force.org/index.php ... =volcanic4
I've no idea if that would work with Erebus, but it's a bunch of TAP files loading one after the other using the ROM functions, so that may even work.
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

iss wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:53 pm Soon!
Ah, even more options! :wink:
Will evaluate after also obtaining the Cumama Reborn, especially as I have also enlisted for a future pre-order of the Twlighte board..... But good to have options.
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

kenneth wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:17 am Welcome to Oric is available here:
https://forum.defence-force.org/downloa ... hp?id=2229
Thanks! It works, very much appreciated!
D18D5725-15EF-49E9-B701-9A8100E5F797.jpeg
(Was mindblown by that flying bird first time I saw it. Nice avatar you have on the forum by the way ;-) And yes, need to clean up the mess in that room to properly show my Oric)
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

kenneth wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:17 am Welcome to Oric is available here:
https://forum.defence-force.org/downloa ... hp?id=2229
Nice Demo indeed ..
Is the source code available somewhere ?
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

@ Jbperin
I just retrieved the original tape file, removed the preface and backed up the second part by merging the BASIC program and MC program with a CSAVE "xx",AUTO.

@Xahmol
Bedankt. ;)