Damsel In Distress

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Symoon
Archivist

Damsel In Distress

Post by Symoon »

Am I the only one experiencing strange noise in the music of Damsel In Distress, when using emulators?
http://www.oric.org/index.php?page=soft ... um_log=879

'been trying Euphoric 1.008, Euphoric 1.015 (under DosBox), and Oricutron 0.9.
Loaded the game on euphoric using TAP from Oric.org, TAP and WAV file from an original tape : same problem.
But used the same WAV file to load it on a real Oric: no problem !

What puzzles me is that I recall spending time on this game to make the screengrabs for Oric.org, and I don't recall such a sound problem (maybe I was using native XP then, which had a dirty sound anyway)
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Damsel In Distress

Post by Dbug »

I remember that the game was incredibly difficult and that the version I had had some broken pixels in the title picture, perhaps that's related?
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Mmmh, don't know what version you had, but both I tried show no corruption. The one I made from the original tape didn't detect any parity error. And most of all, it loads prefectly fine on a real machine.

I was just surprised nobody seemed to have noticed this, but I just tried again on a XP computer without Dosbox and it's impossible to say if the sound problem is there, because of the broken sound in XP. Will have to try on Win98 some day to see if it's rather a DosBox and Oricutron problem.
vrozos
Officer Cadet

Post by vrozos »

Are you talking about an annoying high frequency sound? I am experiencing it too.
Xubuntu 11.10, oricutron 0.9.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Yes, that's exactly it!
Thanks for having tried.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Hi Symoon,

Sorry for not having replied before, I just have very little free time lately for Oricing :(

Anyway I do remember hearing that annoying high pith sound, but I think it did not occur when I first tried the game several years ago.

I tried with Euphoric + DosBox and with Oricutron (the 0.9 and the 0.7 versions) and both have the same problem in my Vista 64 machine, though the noise is quite different (a clear high pitch tone -with some artifacts- in Oricutron and something like high pitch white noise on Euphoric).

So nothing new, just confirming the issue exists..
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Tested under Windows 98, with Euphoric 1.005 and 1.015...
No problem, no bad sound, everything is perfect!

SO, the problem is more likely due to something strange with newest hardware or operating systems...
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

That's kind of weird.
Don't really see what could cause that, except perhaps if there's something different in the way audio is handled, like some clipping or banding if the volume is louder...
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

I tired this with Oricutron and got the high-pitched noise. Also the main character is jumping repeatedly instead of standing still.