8bit-Slicks (New 2022 Version)

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

8bit-Slicks (New 2022 Version)

Post by 8bit-Dude »

As preview of the Full Version (boxed release) coming up in the next couple of months, a much improved Shareware Version of 8bit-Slicks for Oric is now available: Download Page

Besides visual and sound improvements, the game runs MUCH faster than before, so it is now possible to comfortably play 4 player games. 8bit-Hub network code was also improved (you will need to upgrade your firmware to latest 0.5, or download the 2022 version of Oricutron-1.2-Hub from the link above).

Give it a try, and let me know if you have any further suggestions to improve the game! :D
Attachments
Arizona-Oric.PNG
Menu-Oric.PNG
Boxed-Release.PNG
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: 8bit-Slicks (New 2022 Version)

Post by Dbug »

8bit-Dude wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:25 pm Give it a try, and let me know if you have any further suggestions to improve the game! :D
I updated from 0.4 to 0.5 without a problem, and I just tested the latest version with the Oricutron 1.2 with hub (because my Oric is not on my desk right now).

For suggestions, maybe the possibility to change the volume or stop the music in the intro, possibly tweak the font because some of the characters are are looking weird compared to the other (like the E with the thick center line or the T which is double thick.

One thing I'm wondering: Is the menu picture 100% converted from a source, or is it possible to hand edit it to fix some of the most obvious conversion bugs, like to make the picture nicer basically (something I can help with).
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

Thanks for the heads up Dbug! Glad that your hub updated without exploding. :D

Very good idea about music/sound volume. I will add an option to change volume level (including in-game).

I have attached a copy of the Menu (as converted through PictOric). It will be grand if you can tweak it a little, thanks in advance!

(not sure I can fix the font, because the definitions are shared across all 8bit-Unity platform)
Attachments
menu.png
menu.png (5.8 KiB) Viewed 3419 times
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I did a small test where I replaced the white logo by one based on the one from the physical box you linked on the post above.

I'm not sure what the black line was supposed to be, so I kept it, but I cleaned the dither, and I fixed the stray pixels around the black box at the top.
I also rounded the corners, because on the real Oric it's all surrounded by black borders, so looks nicer like that.

I've not touched the helmet, could probably do something better but that would help to have the original picture it was based on :)
8bit-slicks_240x200_oric.png
8bit-slicks_240x200_oric.png (4.34 KiB) Viewed 3396 times
If you like it so far, you can try to insert it, and we can see from there.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

You guys are awesome. :)
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

This community is the best! It's just so heart warming getting hand help like this! :-)
I am fixing up the sound for you. Should be back with an update in an hour or so.
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

I can easily change volume on the SFX, but I wonder how to do it with MYM playback routine..... :?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

8bit-Dude wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:41 pm I can easily change volume on the SFX, but I wonder how to do it with MYM playback routine..... :?
If the music does not use any enveloppe, you can just shift the volume registers for channels A/B/C, but if enveloppes are used, then you are out of luck.
Just being able to mute the music is probably good enough, the music is not bad, but it's much louder than the game itself, so with the internal speaker of the Atmos it kinds of wakeup the entire house :D
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

Ah yes, it seems to work when using a couple of "lsr" on the A/B/C volume registers in "register_loop" of the MYM player.
I will default the music to low (so that it is possible to sneak to oric out when the family sleeps)!
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

Dbug wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:44 pm if enveloppes are used, then you are out of luck.
Actually, how does one control volume when enveloppes are used? I would like to know for sound effects...
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

8bit-Dude wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:07 pm
Dbug wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:44 pm if enveloppes are used, then you are out of luck.
Actually, how does one control volume when enveloppes are used? I would like to know for sound effects...
You can't.
Unfortunately envelopes are stupid and ignore the volume on the channel, they always use the full range from 0 to 15 no matter what :-/
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

Here goes another new version, fresh out of the oven: http://8bit-slicks.com/?wpdmpro=oric-disk
Main improvements:

- DBug's revised menu graphics (not exactly the same, because game uses strict AIC attributes definition).
- Volume control with 3 levels: High, Low, Off (low by default).
- Improved car physics, with a gentle "drift" effect when taking sharp turns.

Lemme know if you like it! :D
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

8bit-Dude wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:55 pm Here goes another new version, fresh out of the oven: http://8bit-slicks.com/?wpdmpro=oric-disk
Main improvements:

- DBug's revised menu graphics (not exactly the same, because game uses strict AIC attributes definition).
- Volume control with 3 levels: High, Low, Off (low by default).
- Improved car physics, with a gentle "drift" effect when taking sharp turns.

Regarding the music, the volume works nicely, but I noticed that at the end it stays stuck on a long note before it loop, so should probably make sure the three channels are cut when reaching the end of the music.

The driving is interesting, but I would not call it "gentle", it's much harder to take curves now.

Regarding the intro graphics, do you need to have strict AIC attributes on all the picture, could you not just have that on the first column of the black boxes on the right?
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I like it, I really, really like it. Its a cute and fun game! And it looks great, and you are really awesome for treating the Oric so well!
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

Dbug wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:01 pm The driving is interesting, but I would not call it "gentle", it's much harder to take curves now.
The physics now match those in other ports (Atari, C64...). I previously had to cut them out because other parts of the code were running too slow.