Rodman on Itch.io

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Vyper68
Flying Officer

Rodman on Itch.io

Post by Vyper68 »

Hi,
I asked Misfit to add the Oric version of Rodman to the Itch.io page as it was previously only available on the physical special edition boxed set from The Future was Eight Bit. He added the CPC and MSX versions as well :D

It is free but If you enjoy it please consider making a donation to the author.

https://misfit.itch.io/rodman
Oric Extended Basic V1.1
(C) 1983 Tangerine
37631 Bytes Free
ibisum
Wing Commander

Re: Rodman on Itch.io

Post by ibisum »

Cool, thanks for the tip, I bought it .. funny little game. At first I thought it was an 8bit Unity release, but it seems not .. I wonder how this was done for all platforms. Pretty neat.
Vyper68
Flying Officer

Post by Vyper68 »

You’re welcome, they ( Future was 8 Bit ) released some of the other formats as £4.99 cassettes but have no plans to release a stand alone Oric tape. So this is the only way to get hold of it currently.
It was a pretty impressive feat to program all the different versions in tandem, they must share some code between formats to speed up the development. Still pretty neat though :D
Oric Extended Basic V1.1
(C) 1983 Tangerine
37631 Bytes Free
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Definitely a fun game which feels quite polished on Oric .. I prefer the Amstrad version though, its somehow a bit more responsive ..
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Vyper68 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:46 am Hi,
I asked Misfit to add the Oric version of Rodman to the Itch.io page as it was previously only available on the physical special edition boxed set from The Future was Eight Bit.
Hey thanks a lot to Misfit and to you for this!

BTW I totally agree with Ibisum: a small delay with the keyboard response, but apparently a very good game anyway :)
Vyper68
Flying Officer

Post by Vyper68 »

It’s not often we get a new game that was released commercially these days sadly, but I was pleased that Misfit put the Oric version on itch.io
Oric Extended Basic V1.1
(C) 1983 Tangerine
37631 Bytes Free
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Vyper68 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:30 am It’s not often we get a new game that was released commercially these days sadly, but I was pleased that Misfit put the Oric version on itch.io
No question about it, this was an instant buy for me. I definitely buy Oric software. Like, duh, wtf!! Hell yes!! All Oric devs should get paid!

And by the way, I have most of the other platforms too, so this release really is a treat in general, we am going to play the heck out of this wonderful title on the real machines this year.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Symoon wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:26 am BTW I totally agree with Ibisum: a small delay with the keyboard response, but apparently a very good game anyway :)
I might be off-base, and I rely on the pros' to remind me, but could this scan delay be because its slightly mis-using ROM routines, like, parsing for a char rather than XOR the keyboard status line? Anyone know the devs and if there is a chance to make it smoother?

Not that it detracts entirely from the game experience, because the game is fun as heck, but hey ..