Adventure Games and Solutions, Help needed !

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Dom
Flying Officer

Re: Adventure Games and Solutions, Help needed !

Post by Dom »

Jonh wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:40 pm I just uploaded ‘Enchanted’ to Oric.org
And for the users of the Erebus, here is a .tap version I've created from the disc version...
(Maybe in the stuff section, Didier?)
This .tap is a bit "improved" by a GPS option :-)
I 've also a map ( practical with the GPS) and a solution of this game... For those interrested :-)

If you want to add a GPS to the disc vesion, you just have to modifie the line 1050 as follow:

Code: Select all

1050 PRINTCHR$(27)"W"CHR$(27)"DWhat next... ";LC;CHR$(27)"P"
(LC, the location number (also written on the map) will then appear on screen after "What next...")
Attachments
ENCHANTE.TAP
(42.07 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Maybe in the stuff section, Didier
Hello Dom, great patch :)
Some months ago, we added some icons and Jede has upgraded number of files to 3 so ... enchanted is updated with your file and a specific erebus icon.

Within years, it'll be possible to search at erebus files
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

coco.oric wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:55 am Within years, it'll be possible to search at erebus files
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bieno
Officer Cadet

Post by Bieno »

Dom wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:03 pm
And for the users of the Erebus, here is a .tap version I've created from the disc version...
I 've also a map ( practical with the GPS) and a solution of this game... For those interrested :-)

If you want to add a GPS to the disc vesion, you just have to modifie the line 1050 as follow:

(LC, the location number (also written on the map) will then appear on screen after "What next...")
Thanks for the Erebus version ;D
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

Dom wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:03 pm

Thanks Dom.
I will try it at the Vieumikro meeting. :mrgreen:
Jonh
Pilot Officer

Post by Jonh »

Hi again,

I’ve had my research hat on, and come up with some views on some of those games on the latest list:

3. Cave Quest: Tevward Microtech
I believe this is the same game as ‘Quest for Power’, part of the double pack with ‘Tevrog’s Kingdom’ released under the Cable Software label, and already listed on Oric.org. One main reason for this view is that the rear jacket of the original twin pack describes ‘Quest for Power’ as… ‘Explore the cave system inhabited by..’.

5. Crowley House: Oric User Group
This was announced as available on cassette in the Oric Computing magazine, Issue 5/6, Mar/Apr 1984. It was never a type-in. That issue of the magazine was the last ever, so I guess very few ( if any) cassettes were sold. It would be a miracle if a copy turned up!

12. Oric Adventure: Tevward Microtech
When ‘Tevrog’s Kingdom’ was first advertised it was described as ‘Oric Adventure 1 Tevrog’s Kingdom’. The early cassettes had ‘Oric Adventure 1’ printed in small letters below the spool holes, and ‘Tevrog’s Kingdom’ handwritten on the tape! So almost certainly ‘Oric Adventure’ is a phantom entry in some database that has been repeated and repeated. I would say we can safely delete ‘Oric Adventure’!

14. Quest: J Wolstencroft
This is, I think, another phantom entry that has been repeated. Mr. Wolstencroft was the author of ‘Quest’, a game for the Sharp MZ-80 which he advertised in the Jan 1982 issue of PCW, p.188 (https://archive.org/details/PersonalCom ... 8/mode/2up). It was this adventure (updated?) that was released for the Oric in 1983 as ‘Fantasy Quest’ published by IJK. The only Oric software entitled ‘Quest’ is that appearing on Tansoft’s ‘Multigames 1’, authored by Geoff Phillips. I think this can also be safely deleted.
[EDIT - see 3 posts below]

15. The Roundsby Incident
Add-on we’re one of the early software companies. They claimed their games were ‘Specially designed for the VIC20, C64, Dragon32, Oric 48, 48k Spectrum and Newbrain’! They took out full page adverts in the spring of 1983, advertising 6 adventure games - for the record, Leopard Lord, Terror from the Deep, Ace in the Hole, Horror Atoll, Arcane Quest and The Roundsby Incident. Their advert did not say which were available for which computer. No doubt they intended all six to be available for all, but they went into administration (went bankrupt) on the 26th August 1983. Only 4 were released for the Spectrum. We know that ‘Leopard Lord’ was released for the Oric, but given the company’s short life, I doubt any others were.

16. Starship to Hell
This is available to download on Oric.org :D

17. Tevrog’s Kingdom
This was in fact released by Tevward Microtech, and advertised by them at the time.

Enquiries continue….

Jon

PS Ace in the Hole for the Spectrum is currently on offer for £250!! Described as ‘Super rare’.
Last edited by Jonh on Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dom
Flying Officer

Post by Dom »

Wow !
very interesting informations !
As you suggested, I deleted QUEST and Oric Adventure from the list
Jonh wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:40 pm 5. Crowley House: Oric User Group
This was announced as available on cassette in the Oric Computing magazine, Issue 5/6, Mar/Apr 1984. It was never a type-in. That issue of the magazine was the last ever, so I guess very few ( if any) cassettes were sold. It would be a miracle if a copy turned up!
Crowley House was written by A. J. Shepperd using the pseudonym of 'The Doppel-Ganger'. It was sold for 5 pounds to Oric Owners User Group members. He later ported it to the Atari ST. (CASA site)
The dopple ganger also seemed to be the author of "Pallida Mors" . He left a comment, in 2008, on oric.org, Steve tried, but many years later, to get an interview from him... Here under is what he said on the Pallida Mors page (oric.org)
Dop:
"The game was called 'Pallida Mors' - that whole Coworth Park Horrors nonsense was entirely the idea of the guy who ran TUG and later the OOUG. I was not happy about it at the time."
If we could go back to 2008 we could ask him for a copy ...
I've got the Atari ST version of this game but have been unable to get the BASIC listing. My goal was, as a last resort to adapt back the atari version to the oric :)

hum :oops:
As I'm focused on games witthout a known solution, the first list I posted is only for those games.
But strangely, 17 other games seem to have solution (on CASA site) but are not in any archive to my knowlege...

1 Ace In The Hole Kayde / Wild Electronics?
2 Cinderella / Tansoft
3 Demon knight / ASP Sofware
4 Fishy Business / Salamander Software
5 Horror Atoll / Add On?
6 Journey of a space traveler / Tansoft
7 Lords of Time / Level 9
8 Puss in boots / Oric Owner
9 Quest probe1 The Hulk / Adventure International
10 Quest probe 2 Spider man / Adventure International
11 Return to Eden / Level 9
12 Revenge of the toothless vampire
13 Swamp, The / Kayde
14 Terror From The Deep / Kayde
15 Tunnel adventure / Duckworth Home Computing
16 Underground adventure / Duckworth Home Computing
17 Wings of war / Salamander software

A little bit more work for you John :)
Jonh
Pilot Officer

Post by Jonh »

A quick response on the easy ones :)

2 Cinderella
8 Puss in Boots
These were both type-ins in Oric Owner, and are available on Oric.org

6 Journey of a Space Traveller
This too was an Oric Owner type-in, I have uploaded a bug-fixed version to Oric.org

15 Tunnel Adventure
16 Underground Adventure
To which you can add:
18 Castlemaze Adventure
These are all three type-ins from the book ‘Exploring Adventures on the Oric’, published by Duckworth, the book is in the DF Library here: https://library.defence-force.org/books ... e_oric.pdf
They need typing in and checking for bugs :)

More hopefully to follow…
Jonh
Pilot Officer

Post by Jonh »

I have to revise what I said about #14 Quest J Wolstencroft from the first ‘no known solution’ List.

I have come across an advert for two Oric adventure games on one tape, advertised in PCN 11, 27 May 1983 in the classified ads by J. Wolstencroft, address in Bleasdale, Preston, ‘ring after 5.30pm’!

Quest - ‘Search the Castle for the artefacts. When used correctly they will lead to the treasure’
Zrim - ‘Explore 400 rooms in search of the 6 Magic Rings, but there are more than monsters to stop you’

The scenario for this Quest is different from both the Oric Multigames Quest, and this author’s Fantasy Quest.

So we can restore Quest, and add ‘Zrim’ to the list, even though the chances of them surviving are tiny - the advert was never repeated! I have updated Oric.org
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

The Hulk and Spiderman are Scott Adams adventures that were never released for Oric.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Questprobe

I seem to have a copy of The Hulk disk, but not the Spiderman one. There's also something called Lurking Horror, (?) and some others which I think are from Infocom(?)

I've had a look at the Hulk disk and it has other Scott Adams things on there - and the read errors oiccur on a lot of the files. :(
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Didn't Fabrice release an interpreter of the Scott Adams adventures?

EDIT: Yep. It's on oric.org https://www.oric.org/software/scott_ada ... -2550.html
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Ah, thanks - that's working version of the disk I have.

(The Hulk and Spiderman are the Quest files at the end. )
Jonh
Pilot Officer

Post by Jonh »

Right, here we go, this completes my researches on List 2, those with a solution on the CASA site. As a general comment, I believe some of the entries on the CASA site are in error. They are solutions for the game, but there are a number where that game was never released for the Oric. Details as follows, with the caveat that someone else may know better!

1 Ace in the Hole – Kayde
14 Terror from the Deep - Kayde
Kayde appear to be connected with Add On, see my comments under 15 The Roundsby Incident on List 1. They apply equally to Ace in the Hole and Terror from the Deep. No owners on Oric.org

3 Demon Knight – ASP
I believe this was never issued for the Oric. This is supported by a sell-off advert by ASP in Oric Owner Oct/Nov 1984, offering a ‘super sale’ at 50% off of Stockmarket, The Valley and The White Barrows. Surely a reputable company like Argus Press Software would have included Demon Knight if they had published it for the Oric? No owners on Oric.org

4 Fishy Business – Salamander Software
This was advertised by Salamander in C&VG and YC in January 1984 for the Dragon. The ad stated ‘by mid-February 1984 should be available for the BBC and Oric’. I have come across no further reference to an Oric version. MarcoC and mal say on Oric.org that they own this – but are they referring to the Oric version or another?

5 Horror Atoll – Add On
See 1 Ace in the Hole above. MarcoC says he owns this on Oric.org

7 Lords of Time – Level 9
This was reviewed in PCG in April 1984, said to include a version for Oric. But the review in YC, May 1984 specifically named the BBC, C64 and Atari – no Oric. Oric.org has a cover shot not naming the Oric, and two owners – of the Oric version?
[EDIT - see post below, we have it!]

9 The Hulk – Adventure International
10 Spider-Man – Adventure International
Adventure International was the English arm of the Scott Adams outfit. Their first ad was in YC May 1984, repeated in September 1984. These two were said to be available for all the usual home computers – except Oric. There is a definitive listing of releases of The Hulk at https://www.giantbomb.com/questprobe-fe ... 030-31440/ - no Oric.
Both are now available on the Scott Adams Adventures entry on Oric.org thanks to Fabrice (see above for link)

11 Return to Eden – Level 9
This was the sequel to Snowball, and the first Level 9 adventure with graphics (on other machines). There is no sign of it being released on the Oric, and I doubt it ever was. It is not on Oric.org.

12 Revenge of the Toothless Vampire
This was a type-in for 8 machines in Games Computing, March 1985, pp52-55. Available at https://archive.org/details/Games_Compu ... cations_GB

13 The Swamp – Kayde
This is believed to be the same as The Valley by ASP – see this intriguing commentary:
https://www.gamesthatwerent.com/gtw64/the-swamp/

Phew! Now for List 1, games with no known solutions…..
Last edited by Jonh on Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Jonh wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:07 am 7 Lords of Time – Level 9
This was reviewed in PCG in April 1984, said to include a version for Oric. But the review in YC, May 1984 specifically named the BBC, C64 and Atari – no Oric. Oric.org has a cover shot not naming the Oric, and two owners – of the Oric version? I would have thought this would have been popular if it had been released?
Well, I can confirm that Lords of Time exists:

I've been looking for Fishy Business for almost 3 years, no traces of it anywhere.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

I think Fishy Business existed on the Oric. According to one website it is very rare and there may have been only 100 produced for the Oric.

I believe I saw it on Ebay once, but my memory is not 100% !!!

Some of the software mentioned will be from my list where I went through all the Oric magazines searchign for titles. There are some titles advertised that were never released. Durell were supposed to be doing an Oric version of Jungle Trouble, and I think Sabatour. War of the Worlds was advertised with an Oric version 'coming soon'. Oric Trek was advertised by Tansoft, then they went with a different software house - Salamander!

Salamander sued Oric at one point.
Attachments
PopularComputing_Weekly_Issue_1983-07-07_0004.jpg
PopularComputing_Weekly_Issue_1983-07-07_0000.jpg