Sound hacking and Oricutron: Paste from clipboard in Atmos mode?

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Sound hacking and Oricutron: Paste from clipboard in Atmos mode?

Post by ibisum »

Hi,

I'm going through a ton of magazines with type ins and finding some great stuff to play with - specifically related to synthesis on the Oric - and have found it impossible to paste from clipboard in Oricutron when its booting an Atmos .DSK Image - making it kind of hard to save the type ins to .DSK file for later use.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?

(BTW: this is a fun sound effect from Oric Owner 8:

Code: Select all

1 SOUND1,65535/(RND(1)*50+500),0
 2 SOUND2,65535/(RND(1)*50+500),0
 3 SOUND3,65535/(RND(1)*50+500),0
 40 PLAY7,0,5,10
 50 GOTO 1
.. and this, I think, will replace my use of SFXR in a future iOS game:

Code: Select all

10 CLS:PAPER4:INK7:PRINTCHR$(6)
20 REPEAT
30 :SOUND INT(RND(1)*4)+1,INT(RND(1)*700)+10,0
40 :PLAY7,7,INT(RND(1)*7)+1,INT(RND(1)*500)+50:WAITRND(1)*100
50 UNTILFALSEORKEY$="S":PLAY0,0,0,0 60 END
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Sound hacking and Oricutron: Paste from clipboard in Atmos mode?

Post by Dbug »

Tbh, I did not even know (or remembered?) that Oricutron supported copy-paste :D
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Paste works for me.
@ibisum: What's your host OS, Oricutron version, Sedoric version, etc.?
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

@iss: MacOS 10.14.6, latest Oricutron built from source ... start in Atmos-hardware mode with no disk image (white PAPER), paste from clipboard - works - then load SED306.DSK (I can provide this if its necessary), Oricutron reboots, seems to be in Atmos mode now, PAPER black (somehow configureded by SED?), and paste no longer works...

Will try to debug it, was just wondering if anyone else can confirm this too ..
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

The white on black colors is the default when booting with Sedoric
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

It really works for me - macOS 10.15 Catalina, Oricutron latest build from sources.
I don't have any other idea else something like permission issue but it's pure guess. :)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

It works for me too, until I load a .dsk file, then it stops working. But okay I'll make an issue on the Oricutron repo and try to fix it - but it would be good if someone else could reproduce the bug. Maybe its my SED306.DSK file specifically .. will debug when I get my arm back .. (tomorrow hopefully)

@iss - your test isn't the same as mine. Paste first, verify it works before a mount, then mount the sedoric .dsk, then paste again - second paste doesn't work <- that's the bug.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

It does not work for me either. As soon as I mount sedoric and boot, I cannot paste anymore.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Maybe you should all specify which revision/version of Oricutron you are using?
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

ibisum wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:04 am@iss - your test isn't the same as mine. Paste first, verify it works before a mount, then mount the sedoric .dsk, then paste again - second paste doesn't work <- that's the bug.

Tested again as described ... and it works!
@ibisum: please, check if dev-builds for macOS are working for you.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

My SED306 doesn't have a menu .. wonder if that has something to do with it .. EDIT: okay, dev-builds version seems to work fine, never mind ..
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Maybe we need to sort this plethora of different versions somehow. I have two dev versions which I don't usually use because the keyboard is not mapped to the PC and I struggle to find some keys. I always end up displaying the virtual keyboard. But I think I did not see any way to change that. I think the instructions do not include that information.

I am quite sure they have some other differences with the last "official" release I struggle with, but I cannot remember now.

On the other hand, they have some bugs solved...
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Chema wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:08 pmMaybe we need to sort this plethora of different versions somehow.
I agree and I'm open for ideas.

Else all dev-builds which I release are built from the "genuine" sources in the github repository at the moment of the release.
In the title is embedded automatically the exact hash number of the commit used for the particular release.
For instance in my above video the title contains: Oricutron DEV WIP Rev: 2d6f903
Here '2d6f903' are the first 7 hex digits of the commit which can be found in the github.

The only real difference is that for linking I'm using the static SDL/SDL2 libraries, so no other external dependencies are required (and as result less problems for users). ;)

@Chema: I never had issues with the keyboard and character mapping, if you want we can try to fix it.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

iss wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:04 pm Else all dev-builds which I release are built from the "genuine" sources in the github repository at the moment of the release.
In the title is embedded automatically the exact hash number of the commit used for the particular release.
For instance in my above video the title contains: Oricutron DEV WIP Rev: 2d6f903
Here '2d6f903' are the first 7 hex digits of the commit which can be found in the github.
Automated tagging is good.

Would it be difficult to somewhat add the date of the build (or more exactly the date of the last commit), and have something like:
2019-12-29/2d6f903

Basically the problem with the hash, is that it gives ZERO information about how old the code is, and you can't compare various builds from various people to know which one is more recent.

Another reason for me to not update the OSDK with new versions, is that I don't have a clear view of what was changed, added, removed, fixed, etc...
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Tag the releases.

Use a good name system for the tag: "official-2020-06-nightly"/-stable/etc.

Add the tag with "git -a -m ...", and then at that tag you have: a friendly name, and also the hash that can be included, as per your existing system, for reference...