OUM disk

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
coolman66
Flying Officer

OUM disk

Post by coolman66 »

With all the time on my hands becouse of the corona virus ive been looking at some of the OUM disks on my PC ive noticed number 5 issue on the oric .org site when attemptong to download comes up with the error file not found ! , is it available anywere else, and what is on it id love to know ?
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Re: OUM disk

Post by coco.oric »

Hello,

OUM disk link is in trouble. We"ll correct that later
Anyway please find attached the file
Attachments
OUM Disk 05 (199x)(Oric User Monthly).dsk
(1 MiB) Downloaded 215 times
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

coolman66 wrote:ive been looking at some of the OUM disks
I've been doing the same, and noticed quite a few great listings in the mags that I haven't been able to find in the archives. I'm considering doing a "whole day of type-ins" like I used to do when I was a lad... anyone else wanna coordinate on a mag type-in project? We could go through all the issues and be sure we had everything either verified as available, or typed-in and added to Oric.org .. ?
coolman66
Flying Officer

Post by coolman66 »

Thanks to you guys it sorts my missing OUM DISK , my only problem it doesn’t automatically run I have to run each file separately but that’s a small price to pay for completing my OUM Disks .!
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

Sorry for my ignorance,
Can anyone explain me how we use this OUM dsk ?
When I insert it in Oricutron, it displays a list of files .. I tried to CLOAD"" one of them .. without success ..

thanks by advance
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

If it ends with .COM, just type the name of the file as a command, or use !, for example:

DIR
<produces a list of files, one of which is named MENU.COM>
!MENU

If its a .BAS file or .HRS, you can use LOAD"<filename>" to load it, although if you're going to do this with .HRS files, you should type HIRES first, of course.

http://oric.free.fr/DISKS/sedoric.html#LOA

Depends, also, on what OS is used in the .DSK file - usually they're all Sedoric but sometimes you'll get Oric DOS too. You can find the manual for those here, with more details (how to switch to disk B and so on..):

http://www.defence-force.org/computing/ ... y/lib_dos/

English Sedoric manual here:

http://oric.free.fr/DISKS/sedoric.html

Another interesting reference:

http://www.defence-force.org/computing/ ... manual.pdf
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

thank you very much ibisum

It's an important part of Oric culture that I was missing :-)

I have heard a lot of SEDORIC ... but I have never explored the topic ..

thank you for these ressources
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Don't thank me, thanks DBug and Chema and the rest of the crew who have kept all this stuff alive for so long - and yeah, I was really intrigued when I got into DOS on Oric, it takes things to a whole different level as a computing platform.

I always go back to "what if .. we'd had this hardware back in '83" in my mind, whenever I boot up a .DSK file on Cumana or .TAP on Erebus. Truly great times to be an Oric person...
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

OUM disks should be accompanied by some description which should let you know how to load things.

CLOAD is cassette loading instruction. If you want to know DOS commands find the Sedoric manual. Basic commands are LOAD"filename" - but note the file extension. Files by default have a.COM extension but they may be a HIRES screen or anything. HIRES screens will obviously need a HIRES command prior to loading.
On this disk is a SONIX file. You will need to load Sonix to open this or it won't work.

Some of the disk had MENUs either included or added later by myself. Try looking for MENU or BOOT files which should provide an easy access to the programs. But you really need to learn about DOS if you want to use disks.
Attachments
oum5002.jpg
oum5002.jpg (476.47 KiB) Viewed 4958 times
oum5001.jpg
oum5001.jpg (579.66 KiB) Viewed 4958 times
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Sectmap never worked IIRC. The update didn't work for me.
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

Steve M wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:51 am Some of the disk had MENUs either included or added later by myself. Try looking for MENU or BOOT files which should provide an easy access to the programs. But you really need to learn about DOS if you want to use disks.
Thank you Steve for all these informations :)