CC65 to DSK

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

Symoon
Archivist

Re: CC65 to DSK

Post by Symoon »

8bit-Dude wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:18 pm Does anyone here have a PASE or IJK joystick interface?
I am implementing both in 8bit-Slicks (and emulating them on the 8bit-Hub), but don't have the "real" hardware to test that it works correctly...
I do and could do some quick tests during this very busy weekend. sadly I don't have a disk system installed and last time I tried to copy a DSK to a real disk, it took me... 3 weekends! Could you make some TAP file of your routines test program? (if disk is the only option I doubt I'll be able to test).
NekoNoNiaow
Flight Lieutenant

Post by NekoNoNiaow »

Hey, this plays really nicely, that is definitely a great effort!
It takes a bit of training to get the hang of how the car behaves, but that is rather a good thing.

I concur with the remarks regarding controls: I got stuck on the first map wondering how to move the car forward. ;)

Note that it might be better to not use compact arrangement of keys like WASD since driving requires being able to act independently on the accelerate/brake axis and the left/right one. Many keyboard driven games back in the day use arrangement of keys such as QW for left/right and JK for brake/accelerate. This way, players can easily dissociate the two axis and act upon them independently, something which is very hard with the WASD configuration since that requires moving one finder back and forth between two rows of keys.

I do not have remarks regarding the gameplay except that I am not sure if it is possible to brake, it does not feel like it but I might be mistaken. If there is supposed to be a brake function then maybe it would benefit from being a little bit more intense. ;)

Graphics are ok for what appears to be automatically converted image but they can be a bit confusing: I have the feeling that having a clearer outline for the road would help make it more precise to the eye. Also, very often one one has trouble identifying what the graphics represent: is this patch of pixels here a tribune with a lot of spectators or is it a patch of colorful grass? Sometimes it is hard to tell.
Also, the AIC mode does add to the color count but at times, the alternating lines of black/blue or other colors can be tiring to the eye. I would personally appreciate having a bit more solid patches of colors, but I suppose this is very subjective and might be just me. ;)

All in all, as said initially, this is clearly a great effort. Not yet a full fledged game but I assume that you will eventually add more game elements to this promising "skeleton" : keep it up!
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

Hey Guyz, I am back again with an improved Disk!

I have clarified the keyboard keys in main menu, added support for ALTAI/PASE/IJK adaptor (with auto detection of adaptor type), improved the FPS (slightly) and tamed the drift.

I tested the joystick support in Oricutron, but I would really appreciate if people with real ALTAI/PASE/IJK hardware could test that these adaptors work correctly. Once that is cleared out, I will officially release the game for Oric.

P.S: For DBug, I include a hires of the helmet shown in main menu.
Attachments
slicks-oric.dsk
(225.25 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
menu256.png
Last edited by 8bit-Dude on Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I am really eager to test this game. It looks terrific. About the joystick thing, the same happened to me. Blake's 7 supports IJK joystick in theory, but no tests with real hardware. In fact I might attempt to make the interface just for testing purposes.

One cannot rely only on emulation. I also supported the Cumana disk interface, tested on emulators, and, finally, when someone could make a test on real hardware well after the game was released, alas... it did not boot :(
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

I found a bug in the ALTAI/PASE joystick support. I updated the download link, please re-download! :oops:
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I really love the action in this game - its challenging at first, but once you get the hang of it quite fun.

Looking forward to 8-bit Unity's release - I wanna make an Oric game soon, and maybe this will be the tool that pushes me off the cliff of uncertainty into actually doing something releasable.. ;)
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

8bit-Unity 0.2 (with Oric support) is now out: http://8bit-unity.com/?page_id=172
Looking forward to what you will be coming up with buddy!!
Badger
Pilot Officer

Post by Badger »

Maybe a tip :-

I was having trouble with 8-bitunity, nothing would compile properly.

It turned out the environment variable on windows for cc65 was set incorrectly.

Since my copy of cc65 resides at c:\cc65 then the environment variable needs to be name:cc65 path:c:\cc65\bin

There was also a cc65_home environment variable that needs to be deleted.

Hope this tip is useful to someone.

Ian
flag_uk Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic.
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

Badger wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:00 am Since my copy of cc65 resides at c:\cc65 then the environment variable needs to be name:cc65 path:c:\cc65\bin
There was also a cc65_home environment variable that needs to be deleted.
Thanks for this useful tip. I think this bug only affects people who have previously installed CC65.
I will add a note on the website that the environment variable should be removed.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

It is generally a bad idea to force people to change their global settings for your own projects.
It's common to have people already having compilers or sdk installed, often a different version, and forcing to choose one or the other is super annoying. (I had the problem with mingw and some third party sdk that had its own mingw)
Badger
Pilot Officer

Post by Badger »

Dbug wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:55 pm It is generally a bad idea to force people to change their global settings for your own projects.
It is actually recommended on the cc65 website. It seems the cc65_home environment variable has been superceeded.

My installed version of cc65 must have been pretty old.
flag_uk Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic.