CC65 to DSK

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

NekoNoNiaow
Flight Lieutenant

Re: CC65 to DSK

Post by NekoNoNiaow »

ibisum wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:28 pm I've always thought it'd be nice to have an SFXR-like interface for Oric sounds.
It can happen, if you code it. ;)
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

To keep things fresh, here goes a roadmap update on the next versions 0.2 and 0.3:
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Wow, I love the AIC graphic solution you've come up with .. its brilliant. And .. in a way .. it even looks like gravel is being spit out the back of the car when its on the dirt, or exhaust around the corners or something - and I wonder if you might want to play with that a bit so that its a feature, not a bug. ;)

(EDIT, like a quick 'tweak' I would make, would be to change the dynamics of the sound when you know the car is over dirt and thus AIC-quirk liable, so you make a kind of 'scratchy' dirt sound as the player drives over that spot on the map ..)
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

Thanks for the encouragement buddy! I worked all week-end on porting 8bit-slicks (my racing game) to the Oric via the 8bit-Unity SDK.
I have now a working prototype, though the frame rate is a bit slow (~12 FPS). Gonna try to improve things a bit before I post a demo disk here.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Your work is awesome. Congratulations indeed!
Looking forward to that semo disk :D
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

A little teaser of things to come... (took me just 30 min to get it working on the Oric, thanks to 8bit-Unity)
Have a good week everyone, and see you again next week-end!
Attachments
8bit-Grubs-Oric.PNG
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Well, looks like you'll manage to achieve what the Project X team failed to do :)

http://www.defence-force.org/computing/ ... /index.htm

As often said, too many cooks spoil the broth. Good luck!
NekoNoNiaow
Flight Lieutenant

Post by NekoNoNiaow »

Great effort! Keep it up!
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

Alright, it's time to reveal the first "beta" of 8bit-Slicks for the Oric (all 48K models).

The game is more or less playable with 2 players, but slows down a lot when adding 3rd/4th player. Keys are WASD+CTRL and IJKL+RET.

I will work next on improving frame rate and adding online functionality next through my 8bit-Hub project.
Attachments
River-Oric.png
Menu-Oric.png
slicks-oric.dsk
(219 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I'm a bit confused about the controls: Since we turn left and right with A and D, and accelerate with CTRL, what are W and S for exactly?
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Looks nice!
Same here about the controls, on the 1st attempt I thought I couldn't accelerate ;)

One of my lap wasn't counted, I suspect I drove too much off-track at some point.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Wow this is a terrific game for the Oric .. very nice work! Its not exactly an easy game to play at first, but with a bit of practice (against another human) it actually ends up being quite fun - if but a little frustrating at first.

But really, an astonishing title for the Oric, and quite well along, all things considered - I wasn't expecting so many maps!

Only feedback I have is that the controls definitely need some tweaking .. its very frustrating to run off the track because of over-correction. Maybe add a 'control realism' mode, where the easy setting keeps you relatively on-track for a bit of arcade fun?

Anyway, count me impressed!
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

Thanks for the feedback guyz.
I will clarify the control keys in menu (A D Ctrl).
Regarding the excessive drift, it is due in part to low frame rate. I need to optimize a couple of routines in the code. I will release an improved version soon..
Also, i will soon release the new 8bit unity with Oric support.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Awesome! I'm definitely going to unpack Unity for 8-bit and see how to make a game with it ..
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

Does anyone here have a PASE or IJK joystick interface?
I am implementing both in 8bit-Slicks (and emulating them on the 8bit-Hub), but don't have the "real" hardware to test that it works correctly...