The big Oric ULA Database

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Godzil
Squad Leader

The big Oric ULA Database

Post by Godzil »

Hi everyone,

to help understanding the existing ULA and if there is a correlation between the ULA revision and timecode and the Cumulus problem, I've created a form to enter information about the ULA you own, so please, when you have time, fill this formas many time needed with all the ULA you own.

The form : https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1v_F0rq ... =send_form
The generated spreadsheet can be see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

EDIT: Fixed the links
iss
Wing Commander

Re: The big Oric ULA Database

Post by iss »

@Godzil: Please check the links. In other topic they are OK.
I will enter results of my tests asap.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I have two problems. First, the answer to "is it working with Cumulus?" should have another option where it works but has some flaws (which is my case). I have answered "NO" but you know that with an extra amplibus or simply by rebooting my problems usually dissappear.

Second, ron's first ULA code number says: CDI/8 with no letter. The form does not allow entering a single number... I don't know how to enter the information.

And indeed the correct links are on the other forum. Those above do not work for me.

As the ULA generates the phi2 clock (amongst other signals), its timing may be one of the causes of the flaws in cumulus. Silicebit said (and I agree) that probably if the device had a way to tweak the timing (as the RV potentiometer in the Microdisc controllers has) it could be adjusted to work with nearly every Oric.

Good initiative!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Is it me, or the link are broken?
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Not working for me. I think they may be too long. Try tinyurl.
Last edited by Steve M on Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Look at the post from iss (three posts above this) where he provides a link to another thread where the links are ok.

These are https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1v_F0rq ... =send_form

And

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I fixed the links.

People: When you have typos, or non working stuff in your messages, just use the edit button and correct things, thanks :)
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

I entered my ULA's in the database. Unfortunately no one works.
I tested 6 ULA's with Oric1, Atmos and Pravetz boards, with 2 Cumuluses - ¡Nada!
Bellow some pics: tested ULA's, Oric1 setup and Cumulus with modified CumulusBus to be used without long cable.
ULAs.jpg
Oric1-cumulus.jpg
Cumulus.jpg
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

You entered a YES for one of your ULAs...

I can't believe no one works with so many different machines...

P.S. Where did you get so many different ULAs from? I'm curious...

EDIT: Are you sure you are not having other problems, such as low amperage (<1.5A) power source or replaced ram chips?
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Yes, my mistake - I entered 'YES but it's 'NO' - don't know how to correct it.
Maybe Godzil as owner of the document can fix it?
Else, all my ULA's are desoldered from the machines I have (2xOric1-48k, 2xAtmos and 2xPravetz).
I put sockets so swapping is easy - and after 'surgery' everything works :).
I used 3 power supplies - original 9V, new switching PSU 5V/5A, new power adapter 12V/3A.
The tests took long:
- insert ULA - power-on works
- attach Cumana with floppy - booting works - remove Cumana
- attach CumulusBus only - power-on - works
- attach Cumulus - >10 times power on/off - different configurations of black/white stripes
- attach AmpliBus (as Slicebit's one) before CumulusBus - the same mosaic on the screen
- pressing buttons on Cumulus to force 'reset' - nothing changes.
I made this procedure for all ULA's on all PCB's - everything is working but not The Cumulus :(.
Actually the mistaken 'YES' is not completely wrong, because on the last ULA when I forced reset from Cumulus menu the mosaic changed but nothing more.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Sorry for the LinkGate, and sorry to be that long to answer, Chema, if there are problem, it mean that it does not work, the goal wasn't to check for the amplibus "hack" but just raw ULA, but I've hadded a "partially" option, and I removed the check on the "revision", that weird, I never see before a ULA without the lettre after the number...

iss: I've changed your Yes by a No :)

Oh and no the ULA generate the main frequency for the 6502 (the 1Mhz from the 12Mhz quartz), but not Phi2 which is generated internally in the 6502, (and the Phi2 shape comming from the 6502 is generally bad for a lots of reasons) :)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Godzil wrote: Oh and no the ULA generate the main frequency for the 6502 (the 1Mhz from the 12Mhz quartz), but not Phi2 which is generated internally in the 6502, (and the Phi2 shape comming from the 6502 is generally bad for a lots of reasons) :)
Ah, yes. My fault. Thanks for clarifying. Anyway the ULA is handling the MAP signal generated by external devices. Any timing issues here and the ULA may get confused with normal RAM or overlay RAM and external device data.

It can well be a combination of factors, and the ULA be just one of them. After all ron's Oric+Cumulus booted with the non-working ULA and nearly worked, but with artifacts on the screen and other instabilites; all of which disappeared when changing the ULA. My experience is similar (no artifacts but system hangs). And others have reported non-working Oric+Cumulus after replacement of memory chips...

But so many Orics and ULAs and none of them even booting with Cumulus is something strange (and very very bad luck!)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

iss wrote: I used 3 power supplies - original 9V, new switching PSU 5V/5A, new power adapter 12V/3A.
Okay, I might be completely wrong because I am no expert but:
- The original PSU does not work with Cumulus. Several people reported non-booting machines. It does not provide enough current, so forget about it.
- 5V is too low voltage in my oppinion. True the Oric needs 5V, but after the usual losses I fear it will quickly fall below the necessary voltage. I am not sure how your Oric even boots with it (with no cumulus you say it works?). I have read that 7.5V may do, but 5V...
- 12V on the contrary is too high! Your Oric's regulator will transform anything beyond 5V into heat, so be careful.

In your (desparete, imho) situation I would, with no doubt, try to get a 9V, 1.5A PSU, for instance from an Spectrum+ (needs to reverse polarity, but that is easy). You can use one which provides higher currents (amperage), as the Oric will get only what it needs...
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Chema, thanks for your ideas. I'll definitely try other power adapters too.
You are right about the 5V - it's too low as input voltage for 7905 IC,
but in my test I use it with removed 7905 from PCB i.e the 5V go directly to Vcc.
12V are high and 7905 get really hot, but for quick test is OK.
Normally I use the 12V adapter together with this LM2596 DC-DC step down converter:
dcdc.jpg
dcdc.jpg (5.53 KiB) Viewed 14985 times
The DC-DC converter is as replacement of the 7905 - it works perfect up to 2A, allowing wide range of input voltages and staying always stone cold :).
Last edited by iss on Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Apparently you know more than I do about this subject, so ignore my comments :)

Still it is really strange that none of your Orics work.