House fire

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
JamesD
Flight Lieutenant

House fire

Post by JamesD »

You can remove me from the list. EDIT: Done (and sorry for the loss, hope you will recover from that)
Most of my 8 bit machines were burned in a house fire and I will have other priorities for the foreseeable future.
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Cumulus Preorder Thread

Post by peacer »

JamesD wrote:You can remove me from the list.
Most of my 8 bit machines were burned in a house fire and I will have other priorities for the foreseeable future.
Sorry to hear that :( I hope your losses are not much and you overcome ASAP..
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Oh wow that really sucks. I hope nobody was hurt. :-(
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

That sucks indeed. I am sorry and also hope nobody was hurt.
JamesD
Flight Lieutenant

Post by JamesD »

Nobody was hurt but not much survived. What didn't burn has water and smoke damage.
I'm insured and it's just stuff.

My Oric 1 is MIA and my Atmos has damage to finish of the black plastic and keyboard. I have no idea if the Atmos works.
The weird part is that I have a spare Atmos keyboard which was stacked on top of the Atmos's keyboard at the time but it has no damage.
Most of my machines are melted blobs including my MSX Turbo R, loaded IIgs, CoCo III, TDP 100, Amiga 1200, NEC Trek, etc...
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

JamesD wrote:Nobody was hurt but not much survived. What didn't burn has water and smoke damage.
I'm insured and it's just stuff.

My Oric 1 is MIA and my Atmos has damage to finish of the black plastic and keyboard. I have no idea if the Atmos works.
The weird part is that I have a spare Atmos keyboard which was stacked on top of the Atmos's keyboard at the time but it has no damage.
Most of my machines are melted blobs including my MSX Turbo R, loaded IIgs, CoCo III, TDP 100, Amiga 1200, NEC Trek, etc...
That hurts! Anyway at least nobody was hurt. Sorry to hear you missed so many incredible vintage machines.

If your Atmos case is destroyed, but the sticker with the logo is still there, I would love to put my hands on it, as my Atmos has it missing.
tingo
Pilot Officer

Re: House fire

Post by tingo »

Wow - sad news indeed.
Torfinn
JamesD
Flight Lieutenant

Post by JamesD »

Just a tiny bit of good news in this disaster.
I've had time to sort through some of the things I was able to salvage from the house and had time to dig around in my storage unit.
It seems I moved my boxed NEC TREK and Oric 1 to storage shortly before the fire.
So... my Oric 1 is in pristine condition.

My Atmos... it did not burn but it looked horrible from the smoke which stuck to everything that survived like glue.
After a lot of scrubbing it looks like the machine is in better shape than I originally thought.
There is some permanent discoloring to the black section of the case and I swapped out the keyboard for a spare I had picked up in an auction of random computer junk, but I think it will function just fine once I get buy a new power supply!
The keycaps from the original keyboard even cleaned up pretty well and I think the original keyboard will work if someone takes the time to clean it up! The space bar on the spare keyboard had some warping from heat so it's a loss but if someone needs parts... let me know.

Since I am now living in my RV full time and I'm a bit short on space, I'll probably sell the Oric 1.

I live in the US so keep that in mind if you want the Oric 1 or Atmos keyboard.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Oh man, glad to hear you got your Oric and Atmos back .. but don't sell the Oric-1!! You may be one of the few active Oric users in the USA ..
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

That is good news, JamesD. I'm glad to hear your Orics are still alive.

I am quite sure that you'll regret selling them sooner or later, and they do not occupy too much space :)
JamesD
Flight Lieutenant

Post by JamesD »

Well, the only computer I have that rivals the Oric in size is my VZ200 (which I haven't found yet) so you have a point there.
I'm largely moving to emulation through software or an FPGA board though.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

The VZ200 is fun - I remember hacking on them in the shops at Dick Smith Electronics during one of my weekly "scouts for magazines that mention the Oric" and thinking 'phew, good thing I did not get one of these!' .. ;)

Seriously though, if you want to send the Oric-1 on to a fan, I'll take it off your hands - PM me your price privately, plus shipping costs to Europe (Austria)?
JamesD
Flight Lieutenant

Post by JamesD »

ibisum wrote:The VZ200 is fun - I remember hacking on them in the shops at Dick Smith Electronics during one of my weekly "scouts for magazines that mention the Oric" and thinking 'phew, good thing I did not get one of these!' .. ;)

Seriously though, if you want to send the Oric-1 on to a fan, I'll take it off your hands - PM me your price privately, plus shipping costs to Europe (Austria)?
If I use priority mail's flat rate shipping it's around $60 US to ship if I chose the right size box.
I would need more info for other shippers but I think you'd get a better price out of Europe.

The Oric 1 is not boxed but includes the original power supply. I'd have to check what they are selling for.
JamesD
Flight Lieutenant

Post by JamesD »

BTW, if you check out one of the recent VZ emulators, if the VZ starts up and says "BASIC+", that's my hack job of re-enabling the Level II BASIC commands. :)
JamesD
Flight Lieutenant

Post by JamesD »

I just checked UPS with an Austrian city picked at random and it was over $100 to ship! :shock:
I think mail is cheapest.