Controller + SD card at ebay

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Re: Controller + SD card at ebay

Post by Godzil »

It seems that some parts need to be reworked on the current Cumulus schematics/layout, especially due to the problem he encounter with the cable lenght. (and maybe some parts are no longuer available and need to be changed)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

But, is retromaster still working on this? I thought this project was se what stalled... Which was a pity because I really would loved to have one of those...
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

I don't know his blog is silent for now nearly 2 year (last post at August 22, 2011)

I could take a look on the status of the schematics/layout on the DF svn
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I believe that cumulus lost a bit of steam after putting in a *huge* effort, and then running into problems with assembly/parts-sourcing in Turkey, where he lives. However he does pop up now and then and maintains a degree of interest in the Oric scene.

What I think would be great is if we could pool our resources to help him make a new prototype/board run. Its a lot of effort too, of course, but if we who are willing can pitch in, perhaps in an open-source kind of way, then it could be fruitful. Cumulus' design works, its just a matter of replicating it and finishing the last %5 of tweaks, and we all know how that goes sometimes ..

Anyway, my point is as long as we are interested I am sure that Cumulus will pick it up again. He was doing it for us all, after all, originally ..
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

ibisum wrote:I believe that cumulus lost a bit of steam after putting in a *huge* effort, and then running into problems with assembly/parts-sourcing in Turkey, where he lives. However he does pop up now and then and maintains a degree of interest in the Oric scene.

What I think would be great is if we could pool our resources to help him make a new prototype/board run. Its a lot of effort too, of course, but if we who are willing can pitch in, perhaps in an open-source kind of way, then it could be fruitful. Cumulus' design works, its just a matter of replicating it and finishing the last %5 of tweaks, and we all know how that goes sometimes ..

Anyway, my point is as long as we are interested I am sure that Cumulus will pick it up again. He was doing it for us all, after all, originally ..
I quickly look at the source and other files stored on the DF SVN, the problem was what I remember, the schematics and original layout files are not present, only the gerber file to build the PCB.

I can fork the project if retromaster is unreachable without he's help but reverse the schematics from the gerber file will take a long time, or I hope with his help with at least the real schematics.

But my main concern is the amount of build board. 100 piece is generally the start for price break, and bellow such a board will cost a lot, and I don't have a lot of money to waste building lots of board without being sure to sell them.

The design could too be expanded to support both Jasmin and Microdisk, it's should be only some changes on the CPLD part and some modification on the ROM part.

I am ready to do this, but I need to be sure that they're will be people really interested and ready to fund the build, I'm ready to to sell the board at cost without margin, I'm not here to make $ on oric people, but to help the community.

What I like to do with this board is a design embeddable in an atmos (or a 1) without external part (or only the LCD screen is needed) and with minor or no modification on the Oric cases.

I think it will be able too to add a way of paginating the overlay ram.

Please all tell me if you are really interested, I will try to contact Retromaster.

Edit: Can't find any email or way to contact him directly. Does someone have such information?
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

@Godzil,

I'll PM you some details...