Microdisc + Hxs floppy emulator problem

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
jorodr
Flying Officer

Microdisc + Hxs floppy emulator problem

Post by jorodr »

Hello,
I just want to tell:
I have tried Hxs + 3 different Microdisc and it don't work at all. It works with Cumana interface with no problem. Thinking about the problem I have thought it is about address buss buffering (Cumana buffers all the buss), but after thinking well I have found that the problem is in 1793 controller. After changing it with MB8877A the microdisc became working with Hxs with no problem. I don't know if any of 1793 don't work well, but my work perfect with floppy drive and no working with Hxs. I hope this info is usable.
Best regards,
George
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Interesting, could be a tolerance/timing problem. I'm not very knowledgeable about the low level details, never heard of the MB8877A before that!
Jeff
2nd Star Corporal

Re: Microdisc + Hxs floppy emulator problem

Post by Jeff »

jorodr wrote:Hello,
I just want to tell:
I have tried Hxs + 3 different Microdisc and it don't work at all. It works with Cumana interface with no problem. Thinking about the problem I have thought it is about address buss buffering (Cumana buffers all the buss), but after thinking well I have found that the problem is in 1793 controller. After changing it with MB8877A the microdisc became working with Hxs with no problem. I don't know if any of 1793 don't work well, but my work perfect with floppy drive and no working with Hxs. I hope this info is usable.
Best regards,
George
Some answers :

http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopi ... 8&start=30
Nightbird72 wrote:Thank you Jeff. Here is the last update, with inclinable emulator!

Well, I am using FDC 1793 on Cumana2 PCB.
Godzil is using also FDC 1793, but on standard Microdisc PCB.

JihemB: is your system 'Oric+Controler+drive' working fine without HxC ? If the system has some mistakes (R/W TRACK ERROR) on a real Oric, not susprising the HxC failed: I am thinking about a bad setup of the controler - MAP timing - (need scope to verify).

Could you take pictures of the Oric motherboard, and the controler (if you have the right screwdriver!). Some mods made by Oric generates mistakes.

Did you tried to use Sedoric 3.0 (I think not, reading http://www.silicium.org/forum/viewtopic ... 61&t=29481). Sedoric 3.0 is a major version and I think is the best DOS to test a system.

Best regards,

Thierry
So it seems that you probably need to tune your pll circuit ;).