What does everyone think of this?

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
JonB
Officer Cadet

What does everyone think of this?

Post by JonB »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oric-Atmos-Du ... 1079589737

Made by someone in Bulgaria, but I think the price is a bit high. Question is, what's the interface board / technique?

Thoughts?
Xeron
Emulation expert

Re: What does everyone think of this?

Post by Xeron »

Well, it is a microdisc system. You can see it booting sedoric in the video and he says its a microdisc in the description.

I don't know if he took an original microdisc PCB or made his own, though..
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

This dual floppy system is produced by jorodr.
As you can see, hi has 100% positive feedback in ebay. I can recommend the system too.
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

I'm tempted but I just can't justify the cost and I haven't got the space...they look cool though.
jorodr
Flying Officer

Post by jorodr »

Hello,

The price is not low, but see the device - it's wonderful and professional looking. I didn't want to make a cheap device, but to make really beautiful device, so beautiful to be near to beautiful Oric. Everything in it is expensive. I will make cheaper device these days, which is good too, but will not be so beautiful and will have only one drive. The other reason for high price is the high ebay taxes. So if anyone wants the device could buy similar device outside of ebay with discount. Tomorrow will integrate Oric PSU in the case, so the computer will be powered via the drive.

Regards,
George
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

jorodr: you know I'm a fan of your work (already have one of your early oric drive units) .. if I wasn't already sure that Cumulus is going to take over the duties that floppy drives are doing, I'd buy another drive from you in a heartbeat! ;)
jorodr
Flying Officer

Post by jorodr »

Thanks ibisum. I don't thing my drives are in oposite to Cumulus. They are for these people that love the sound of drive engines, the light of the drive and the spirit of old Oric times :) I have HxC SD card emulator and will buy Cumulus too, but still I prefer the good old drives. I thing it's excellent that there are so many new Oric projects. I have bought IJK joystick interface and if there is interests I will clone it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181271261837?ss ... 1439.l2649
I've just saw that my DualDrive is sold. But if anyone wants one I have another and I could make more ( I have some new cases left)
Last edited by jorodr on Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

While Cumulus is an excellent and compact solution, the physical Drive + HxC has the advantage of allowing things like ripping out old real floppies in a reliable way - something that readdsk on a pc is not always able to do anymore.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Sooo tempted to get one .. ;)
jorodr
Flying Officer

Post by jorodr »

The new one I've listed is a bit more expensive:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331085325900? ... 1555.l2649
because of integration of second PSU in the case. It's 9V PSU to power the computer via the drive and the mess of the desk will be less :)
jorodr
Flying Officer

Post by jorodr »

barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

jorodr wrote:And here is cheaper drive :)
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 1086071815
This would be handy...
floppy drive with dual controllers and a switch...
floppy drive with dual controllers and a switch...
usboric.png (72.97 KiB) Viewed 19947 times
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

@barnsey123: That's actually not a bad idea.
Not sure how doable it is, but definitely not stupid.
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

Dbug wrote:@barnsey123: That's actually not a bad idea.
Not sure how doable it is, but definitely not stupid.
...it would also bypass the rare problem of "floppies written on one drive cannot be read on another"

It would also reduce the space required on your desk. I'm sure jorodr could work his magic here... :D

Agree with jorodr that floppy drives have more "character". I'm sort of toying with the idea of buying one of jorodr's creations but the USB thing would give it more utility...although at higher cost... :(
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Hehe, not sure I discussed it here yet or not, but at one point I was wondering if I could make a tower with 4 or 5 drives (2 3.5", 1 3", 1 5.25", and why not a HxC) and have PC FDCs, Jasmin and Microdisc controllers, and being able to switch between the desired controller, desired floppies (PC can not easily manage 4 drives), and desired output (in other words which computer is plugged).
A kind of mix table, but for floppy drives, not for music ;) This would avoid having to plug, unplug constantly the drives.
Anyway I forgot this idea as I'm not skilled to make it. As Dbug says, it might be done (or not), but probably would be hell to build (and manage ?).