Reading the Keyboard

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Very cool!

I will try (when I have time) to put it inside a small demo and test it. Also will try to write some additional routines for using the virtual matrix.

One thing I was thinking about... With this method keyboard presses are not buffered in any way, so after all, the main program will do a polling on the virtual matrix. If the main program is not quick enough, it might lose some keypresses (the bit in the virtual matrix will become 1 and 0 too quickly to detect).

I am not sure if this could be an issue, but if it is, why not 'accumulate' the presses between pollings? Something like making the IRQ routine NOT clear the matrix, just ora the bits when it detects a keypress and let the auxiliar routines which actually work with the matrix to clear it?

Does it make sense?
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

In my experience this has never been an issue because the main code has always been faster than the human touch (or tap).

Note: The last statement is not a boast :P

However for this particular project of Elite where the main code cycle may be a little sluggish i can see you may need to buffer in some way.

I'm sure Dbug can come up with a resolve? :idea:
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Well, the idea was to have two matrix, the 'prev' and the 'curr', so basically you can query the status of keys on two frames, just return the result of PREV or CURR :)

If two frames is not enough, I guess we can afford to store the status for more frames, but then it will probably be annoying to handle.

If we have a 50hz IRQ, and if we have the status for two frames, you would really have to have a very very very slow code to make missing keys an actual issue.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Perfect then... I won't bother at the moment and see how it goes.

On another note I tested your code and it seems the CB2 pulse mode is not correctly emulated. At least it does not work. Only sense keys on column 0 and return all the bits set to 1 for that byte in the virtual matrix.

Anyway I restored the old method for selecting columns/rows and it is working now! The virtual matrix is perfectly updated.

May adapt it to work in my program and see how it behaves soon :)
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Chema wrote:Anyway I restored the old method for selecting columns/rows and it is working now! The virtual matrix is perfectly updated.
May i see this amended code here?
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Twilighte wrote: May i see this amended code here?
Sure... More optimizations welcome :)

Code: Select all

SenseKeyPrep
.(
       sta via_porta 
       lda #$fd 
       sta via_pcr 
       sty via_pcr 

lda via_portb 
       and #%11111000
       stx zpTemp02
       ora zpTemp02 
       sta via_portb 

rts
.)

ReadKeyboard
.(
        ;Write Column Register Number to PortA 
        lda #$0E 
        sta via_porta 

;Tell AY this is Register Number 
        lda #$FF 
        sta via_pcr 
        ldy #$dd 
        sty via_pcr 

ldx #7 
loop2   ;Clear relevant bank 
        lda #00 
        sta KeyBank,x 

;Write 0 to Column Register 
        jsr SenseKeyPrep

;Wait 10 cycles for curcuit to settle on new row 
        ;Use time to load inner loop counter and load Bit 
        ldy #$80 
        nop 
        nop 
        nop 
        lda #8 

;Sense Row activity 
        and via_portb 
        beq skip2 

loop1   ;Store Column 
        tya 
        eor #$FF 
        jsr SenseKeyPrep

;Use delay(10 cycles) for setting up bit in Keybank and loading Bit 
        tya 
        ora KeyBank,x 
        sta zpTemp01 
        lda #8 

;Sense key activity 
        and via_portb 
        beq skip1 

;Store key 
        lda zpTemp01 
        sta KeyBank,x 

skip1   ;Proceed to next column 
        tya 
        lsr 
        tay 
        bcc loop1 

skip2   ;Proceed to next row 
        dex 
        bpl loop2 

rts 
.)  

KeyBank .dsb 8
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

I just noticed the delay in this routine is 10 cycles but i seem to remember the Real Oric requires about 12 cycles to settle its curcuits :P

Also i believe the next (or maybe already in 0.5) version of Oricutron will observe this 12 cycle delay in setting the key state bit in Port B.

It will be interesting to see how reliable modern stuff (especially my demos/games) are once this 'real' delay is emulated :P
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

mmm strange. I have looked at the sources of Space:1999 and the routine waits only 8 cycles, and was tested on a real Oric (at least Fabrice's).

This one waits 10 cycles...

Where does the number of 12 cycles come from?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Considering how flaky the Oric hardware is, I would not surprised if there was large differences in timing between machines.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

So... what delay should oricutron have in it? It sounds like 12 will break software that works on the real hw!
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Well if some Orics need more cycles, then it is me who has to change the code of Space:1999 and the forthcoming 1337.

In fact, although minor, this is a quite interesting issue that should be tested in real Orics. I don't have mine working now, but I wonder if we could do a small routine for reading the keyboard with different waiting times and check which is the typical value and if there are differences between Orics...

EDIT:

I was wondering... the Oric keyboard is using a 4051 analog mux, isn't it? I had a look at the datasheet here:
http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet- ... /4051.html

and in the DYNAMIC ELECTRICAL CHARACTERISTICS it gives out the max delay for several operations. None goes beyond a max of 700 ns, less than one machine cycle of 1us. I am not sure how many operations should be done to read the keypress, or if there are any other delays...

Any hardware expert could help here?
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

BTW Xeron, what about moving all these tech parameters (this is a good example) to the configuration file? You could have a section for tech specs, and you can set the kbd_settle_time to 0 or 12 or whatever...

There might be other differences between hardware that could be nice to have there...

Just a thought.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

I can put this in the config file, sure, but I still need a good default value.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Sure. I am quite sure that 8 cycles worked on a real system (should check with Fabrice again, however).

But I have posted a link to a small program to test on real orics and see what this value is on different machines. The link is on the Space:1999 players area thread in the games forum (I know it is strange, but it is where I was asking people to test the game on real hw).

As soon as we get some tests we could figure out a good typical value.
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

As suggested to Chema a while ago, this delay that needs to exist.. does it have a maximum? ie. why do we concentrate on trying to waste the right amount of time when (given the right scheme) we could branch off and do some other essential stuff before returning to read the keyboard key state.

Obviously any prospective routine may need to be called the number of times as there are keys.

I think in ZipnZap i used the delay to display the score.. 8 keys.. 8 score digits.