Oric 1 Video output

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
shazz
Private

Oric 1 Video output

Post by shazz »

Hello there.

The last time I have touched an Oric I was 6 years old so... forgive my dumb questions :)

So I found an Oric 1 (48K) probably coming from UK as the power supply has those 3 ugly plots, and I tried to make it running on my french TV (PAL/SECAM).

So as I don't have the RGB connector I tried using the antenna cable, I thought I should search on the VHF frequencies but I found the nice tangerine basic screen on the UHF channel 36 and setting the TV mode to SC (Don't know what this is..., normal mode is F, and that's another setting than PAL/SECAM color modes)

But it looks like it's B&W (I was not able to remember how to change the background color).

Is it the normal way to connect a UK Oric to a French TV ?

thx !
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

There are curcuits available to connect the RGB output of the Oric to a scart connector but they require both an external psu and some hardware skills.
French Oric's came with an extra pin on the RGB output to provide power i believe.

For Channel 36, thats what i use here. Under the oric are two small circular holes. Both lead through to variable resistors on the main board. It is sometimes neccesary to turn these to get a better signal.
Fine tuning the tv should also provide a better colour.
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

Hello Shazz

I think that it s a TV params problem (pal secam ntsc...)
You can make a rgb adapter without external power with this
http://andre.cheramy.net/trucs/peritel3.pdf (in french language)
shazz
Private

Post by shazz »

Thx Twilighte,

eh eh I did not see those variable resistors... I'll play with them a little :)

Thx kenneth

building this secam connector looks a complex job ! I'm not sure I can handle it.... I need to find a solder master !

moreover, I've got an audio DIN cable with 3 output jacks red, blue and yellow, I guess it was to plug a K7 recorder, but why 3 jacks ?
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

the third smallest connector is a "celduc"-type relay used to remote the motor of the tape recorder.
Be careful with the cursors
The first cursor is a variable capacitor.Turning with a plastic screwdriver to avoid a false setting and finding good color screen.
The second cursor is a synthoniser, ferrite core is breaking like glass.Turn smoothly with a plastic screwdriver too.I think its about frequency channel of "oric-tv"
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

[erratum]
It s not a synthonizer but a modulator :roll:
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

In English we refer to those screws not as cursors but as pots (aka Potentiometers) :)
highwayman
Flying Officer

Post by highwayman »

boot screen is black&white,
type paper 4
or something like that.

not done basic in decades, but i think it's ink & paper & 0-7
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Brian Kidd reports these work OK.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Oric-1-High-Quali ... 3cb3df1819

They seem to use the computer power supply to power the SCART and then the power goes to the Oric.