Microdisc Power Supply Pinout

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

@freaktmp
You need to power it all from the microdisc unit. Mixing power supplies is never a good idea, if the hardware isn't designed for it.
nobbysnuts
Pilot Officer

Post by nobbysnuts »

xeron is correct you will get circulating currents around componants and this can cause all sorts of strangeness :shock:
ONLY DEAD FISH GO WITH THE FLOW
freaktmp
2nd Star Corporal

Post by freaktmp »

nobbysnuts wrote:Hi not quite sure what you mean by powering up one by one ,the original psu feeds both so both need powering up from same psu at same time I cant find my microdisc at mo but had little success as yourself using seperate supplies before I got a proper psu .(15/9/0 volt as the regulators need a voltage difference to work,)also some switching pc psu's don't work
if its connected with correct voltages and it is a duff microdisc does hitting the red reset button on microdisc switch it back to orics rom(what is the effect of this)
Since I don't have the original power supply I am unable to power up everything at once! The only other way I can think of is with a powerstrip with an on/off switch. Plug everything in and then flip the switch!

Right now I am using this sequence: first the FDD, then the controller board and finally the computer.

Hitting the reset button (either on the microdisc or on the oric) does nothing at all.

If it is vital to have the original power supply, would anyone be willing to sell me a spare one?
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

its not vital to have the original power supply, its vital to have *one* power supply with the right power rating to power the whole thing. Using 2 supplies at worst could fry your machine.
freaktmp
2nd Star Corporal

Post by freaktmp »

Xeron wrote:its not vital to have the original power supply, its vital to have *one* power supply with the right power rating to power the whole thing. Using 2 supplies at worst could fry your machine.
Do you know of one such suitable power supply that is available for purchase?
seb
2nd Star Corporal

Re: Microdisc Power Supply Pinout

Post by seb »

freaktmp wrote:Hello people,
I just bought an Oric Microdisc without a power supply. Could someone please tell what the pinout of the power supply unit of the oric microdisc. Of course, I am refering to the DIN plug that powers the drive unit.

Edit: with >> without, how 3 letters change everything!
hi !
i think it s the second part of this annonce ! be fast to complete your setup :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/oric-microdis ... 500wt_1202