Turbo, Error handling and Counters during Tape Load

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
Twilighte
Game master

Turbo, Error handling and Counters during Tape Load

Post by Twilighte »

One subject that used to intrigue me was the idea of turbo or special Tape loaders. For the Oric this is just as possible as on other micros and in some ways actually easier.

I say easier because technically Tape load can be done on an interrupt (Tape input comes from CB1 i think which can be set as a hardware interrupt) whilst the main program does something more entertaining. Even a turbo-loader like Cyberload on the C64 could be done on the Oric, with Counter, error correction(maybe), music and possibly the ultimate scheme, a game (they did it on C64 so why not?).

However the Loader would have to be very small otherwise it would kind of defeat the object of a turbo loader :P

I think it was Loderunner on the Oric that was the only game to have music whilst loading.

I would be failing though if i didn't mention Fabrice Frances Turbo loader. That could load something like 10 times faster than fast mode but had no visual display afaik.

Now i seem to have a reliable Tape load working from Laptop to Oric i can possibly experiment with this a bit. But only after i release my new game.
So much to do!
kamelito
Flying Officer

Re: Turbo, Error handling and Counters during Tape Load

Post by kamelito »

Yeah music while loading was common on C64, I only recall that it was done in Lone Raider on the Oric (loved that)
I'm sure you wanted to write that, the name are pretty closed to make the error :)
AFAIR you could also change the volume.

kml

Twilighte wrote:One subject that used to intrigue me was the idea of turbo or special Tape loaders. For the Oric this is just as possible as on other micros and in some ways actually easier.

I say easier because technically Tape load can be done on an interrupt (Tape input comes from CB1 i think which can be set as a hardware interrupt) whilst the main program does something more entertaining. Even a turbo-loader like Cyberload on the C64 could be done on the Oric, with Counter, error correction(maybe), music and possibly the ultimate scheme, a game (they did it on C64 so why not?).

However the Loader would have to be very small otherwise it would kind of defeat the object of a turbo loader :P

I think it was Loderunner on the Oric that was the only game to have music whilst loading.

I would be failing though if i didn't mention Fabrice Frances Turbo loader. That could load something like 10 times faster than fast mode but had no visual display afaik.

Now i seem to have a reliable Tape load working from Laptop to Oric i can possibly experiment with this a bit. But only after i release my new game.
So much to do!
/kml
skype pseudo : kamelitoloveless
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

(from holidays with very bad wifi)
- Trouble In Store also had a scrolling while loading
- One,a game never released and sadly apparently lost, had an animation AND music while loading. I managed to save the intro showing it, the WAV file will be available to anyone asking ;-)

Oh, and Tyrann 2 and the Atmos demo also had changing colours while loading.
highwayman
Flying Officer

Post by highwayman »

ijk's damsel in distress played some pretty severe music while it loaded.

i had a loader that scrolled the filename on the top line as it loaded.
it didnt need interupts, i just updated the line between received bytes.