Bigger capacity disc idea

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
Twilighte
Game master

Bigger capacity disc idea

Post by Twilighte »

Working on the fact that a disc is composed of concentric rings, where the distance on the outer ring is much greater than the distance on the inner, I wonder if it is possible to format each Track with an increasing number of sectors per track (as the head moves towards the edge of the disc)?

Sectors can be 256,512,768 or 1024 bytes long. If this idea worked, it could potentially triple the normal capacity of a 3.5" disc.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Except that I think that since the rotation (relatively to the head position) is faster the farther you got from the center, I fear that the pulses to read and write are getting longer and longer. (longer "bits") ?
Euphoric
Game master

Post by Euphoric »

Absolutely...
We have a CAV (Constant Angular Velocity) disk system, which means that we store the same number of bits, whatever the track is...
carlsson
Pilot Officer

Post by carlsson »

Maybe you can interface a Commodore disk drive to Oric? The 1541 et.al use different amount of sectors depending on track. I've recently read that there were some Z80 systems which interfaced with a 1541, and the Oric probably shares more chips in common with a CBM than most home built Z80 systems.
Anders Carlsson
nodoid
2nd Star Corporal

Post by nodoid »

carlsson wrote:Maybe you can interface a Commodore disk drive to Oric? The 1541 et.al use different amount of sectors depending on track. I've recently read that there were some Z80 systems which interfaced with a 1541, and the Oric probably shares more chips in common with a CBM than most home built Z80 systems.
If you want this insanity type drive, fish out an old Apple Mac which had this system on the floppy drive. Really screwed up!
A man of all seasons, especially paprika and cayenne pepper
carlsson
Pilot Officer

Post by carlsson »

I thought the Macintosh changed its rotation speed depending on which track you were reading? That is quite bizarre.
Anders Carlsson
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

Not bizarre, just unusual, but not so much, some CD readers do that at high speeds.
Since the outer tracks are bigger in length, with the same rotation speed it passes faster under the head. So lowering the rotation makes it pass the same linear speed under the head, but for a longer time, and so with more storable bytes.
JamesD
Flight Lieutenant

Post by JamesD »

I you are going to go to a larger capacity device you might as well go with an compact flash interface. The circuit is actually smaller than the floppy interface plans I saw for the ORIC and you can probably borrow most of the firmware from the Apple II IDE controllers.