Can this Jasmin 2 be repaired ?

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

highwayman wrote:you just plug it in, afaik the connectors are the same.
Nooooo !!! :D
You are just kidding aren't you ?
Just plug it in and that's it ?
I'll try that ASAP :P
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

nope, it does not work... may be I have to find an older 3.5 inch floppy drive...:?

however, about the readdsk and writedsk, I did not managed to make them work on 1.44M floppy, even formatted as a 720Kb (with the right hole covered by a sticker, like I do for my Amiga).
May be I missed something here too...

any help appreciated pals. :wink:
highwayman
Flying Officer

Post by highwayman »

take the drive out of the amiga & try it on the oric,

there are 2 differences on the connector between pc drives & amiga drives but usually they arent used anyway - lets find out :)
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

OK, I will try this out too :P
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN

I have a JASMIN II 3.5 inch working here !!!!!!

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hywayman, your are the Best !
yup yup yup yup yup !!!!!

:lol: :lol: Waskol is "crazy happy" my friends !!!! :lol: :lol:

woot woot woot

FTDOS just boot straight with one of my Amiga 3,5 inch Floppy drive, it's sooooooooooooooo good ........ rhaaaaaaaaaa !!!! I won't sleep tonight !

Does anybody knows some good dsk (demos, games) I could get in order to try this magnificent thing ?

Thank you all of you who helped me ! Really, I am so happy to see my oric more alive then it has never been before !!!!!
highwayman
Flying Officer

Post by highwayman »

but now your miggy wants it's drive back!

so now i give you - this:
http://freewebs.com/computolio/amiga_fl ... ility.html
:D
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

highwayman wrote:but now your miggy wants it's drive back!

so now i give you - this:
http://freewebs.com/computolio/amiga_fl ... ility.html
:D
No, because it was a spare piece :wink:
And I think that, before it is too difficult to find, that I will buy 2 brand new/boxed/unused floppy drives, 1 spare for my miggy, one for Orikiki, at www.vesalia.de
:P

Anyway, this afternoon, I go to my electronic shop in Brest ( www.radiosell.eu ), because my ribbon between the drive and the controller board is too short : I need a HE10 connector (mâle flavour of the IDC34 connector) for it and straight IDC34<-->IDC34 ribbon.

yup ! :P
highwayman
Flying Officer

Post by highwayman »

waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

highwayman wrote:there is a webcam near you :D

http://camera1.mairie-brest.fr/view/index.shtml
Ouch !!!! Big brother is watching me :lol:
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

Well, I will share my experience here for other people because I thought I lost my drive, thinking it was not working anymore...

2 days ago I've boot straight on my master FTDOS 3,5 inch floppy.

But this evening... nothing to do.
In fact, between, messing with my floppy, I had just reformated my FTDOS floppy for something else.
Thus I rebuilt a new one, but it was not working anymore... I just thought I had fire up my jasmin while trying to fix the internal ribbon....

But in fact (damned I am stupid ! :lol: (though it is not funny on the moment :roll: )), I formatted the new FTDOS floppy in 720K with windows before using Fabrice Frances' Writedsk utility. Biiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggg mistake :oops:
I did it, because I'm used to build some 720K floppies in order to transfer somefiles from my PC to my Amiga 2000... Pavlov... :lol:

Here the good procedure I did 2 days ago and that work :

1) Boot from a floppy in MS-DOS :
----------------------------------------
Prepare your floppy from windows : right click on A, choose "Format" in the menu, there is checkbox in the dialog in order to format a boot disk, or do it better in a dos box :
step A : format a:
step 2 : sys a:
...and you are done.

Prepare some usefull tools that you put on another floppy (see below : writedsk.exe, init11.exe, you dsk image, etc...) or on a USB flash drive. (modern motherboards see them as regular hard disk drive and it should appear in C: if you boot with it, plugged on a USB connector. (MS-DOS will see in fact any FAT formatted volumes, but not NTFS).

2) Prepare a 720K DD Floppy :
------------------------------------
Prepare a 1.44 HD floppy that you can find in your supermaket by filling the right hand side hole (so that you transform it into a Double Density (DD) Floppy, with a small sticker or some opaque tape.

3) Initialise your new 3,5 inch Jasmin Floppy
------------------------------------
in MS_DOS mode, format the floppy with Andre Cheramy's utility Init (the utility file name is init11.exe), like this :

INIT11 A,16,80,D

that will format a disk with 16 sectors per tracks, 80 tracks, (D)ouble sided floppy on drive A.
After the process, your Floppy is 640K formatted and not 720K such like the one you obtain it with the MS-DOS command :
format a: /t:80 /n:9
This create a 720K, 18 (=n*2=9*2) sector per tracks floppy that is NOT Jasmin compliant ! :mrgreen:

Moreover, you should think like me to format with MS-DOS, but I did not manage to format with MS-DOS like this :
format a: /t:80 /n:8 :mrgreen:
If you can, you are lucky !

4) Transfer your dsk image :
---------------------------------
Finally, use the writedsk utility in order to finish your build from an Euphoric DSK file :
writedsk ftdos.dsk a:

:P

By the way, the Jasmin is now using a 1.44Mb PC Floppy Drive...
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Just a question - were the Jasmin 2 connectors exactly the same as any 3 1/2 floppy drive?

I got a Jasmin 1, which seems to boot fine too but the drive seems dead. Problem is that the connectors are not the same. Did you use any adapter?
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

For the pinout assigment I found this
http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/jasmin/j ... 100dpi.png
:wink:
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Thanks, sadly I don't have electronics knowledge so I'm not able to read this ;-)
I'll bring the drive at the meeting to have some opinion about it from our hardware experts!