no colour on my atmos

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
nobbysnuts
Pilot Officer

no colour on my atmos

Post by nobbysnuts »

HI i
ve just bought an atmos after finding my oric 1 in mums attic after 20 years (what fun!) and getting the nostalga bug .
The problem is it seems not to have any colour I have adjusted the two screws underneath as I used too with my first oric bit it has no effect has anyone any Idea whats wrong I have a little electrical now how as I work in the power industry but am a bit lost with this
Many thanks Ian
ONLY DEAD FISH GO WITH THE FLOW
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Hi.

Are you using the antenna socket, or the RGB connector ?
nobbysnuts
Pilot Officer

Post by nobbysnuts »

Hi im using the antenna socket I bought it from france is there a difference in models?
Thanks Ian
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Yep, there is a difference.

The Antena format is difference in France and Uk. Actually the first models of Atmos sold in France (build in UK) were not usable with the antenna cable, all you got was kind of wobbling, fuzzy, video inverted black and white picture.

There was some hacks involving transistors and resistors soldered on the UHF converter to get a (still crappy) signal with the (kind of) right colors.

I guess that later models built in France already have this modification, and so you are out of luck.

If you can try to open it, check if the small wire that connects to the metal box has some added compoents or if it connects directly to the motherboard.

Anyway, in all case you should try to simply connect the oric using a RGB cable, the quality would be SO much better. If you can find a good old RGB monitor (like old Philips or Commodore), the cable is very easy to do, just connect red, green, blue and ground, pin to pin and here you are, perfect crisp picture :)

Good luck !
nobbysnuts
Pilot Officer

Post by nobbysnuts »

Thanks thats it ,I will get a rgb or could I make a scart to rgb using resisters ect
I will let you know how I get on comparing the two
Thanks again for advice Ian
Womble
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Womble »

Yep you will need to ignore the RF output - if its a french oric it will be outputting SECAM not PAL signals, the upshot of this is, as you have found, that you will get no colour, coz a PAL tv wont understand the colour information on a SECAM signal.

You might find tho that your tv can do SECAM, modern ones often can. Eg I live in Australia and have a cheap 68cm CRT no name jobby TV thats 5 years old, it can do PAL B/G (local standard), PAL I (UK std), SECAM (france mainly) and two types of NTSC. Its set to default to the local PAL type but it can be set to Auto or changed manually to do SECAM.

Then again you wil get a better picture with RGB SCART and it avoids faffing with the tv.
Sic Transit Gloria Atari
nobbysnuts
Pilot Officer

Post by nobbysnuts »

Thanks for responses ,Im now looking for a rgb monitor but for the time being can anyone tell me the channel frequency for the oric on a secam tv as I cant seem to get a picture at all when set to secam(looked inside and compontant layout looks the same as my british oric
Womble
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Womble »

I believe its channel 33 but cant be 100% sure. The Oric RF output is very low standard apparently and may not be working properly after such a length of time. Tangerine seemed to cut corners all over the joint. I have 2 Orics that had faulty RAM sat at home, have cut the old chips off their legs and unsoldered them all. Fitted 8 IC sockets to the board and am just waiting for the chips to arrive.

You may have to forget the RF output, I had to - my Orics are both UK ones (so PAL I), even with the correct setting on the TV the image was lousy and the colour was very very faint.

RGB output is rock solid and in glorious technicolour tho :D
Sic Transit Gloria Atari
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Think it's chanel 36.
nobbysnuts
Pilot Officer

Post by nobbysnuts »

Noticed an oric for sale today on ebay with a straght rgb to scart lead is the signal from the rgb compatable straight in to scart or do I need the circuit shown on website
Womble
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Womble »

You should be able to drive the SCART direct from the Oric, there is one caviat tho and it depends on the TV more than the Oric. If the image is very very bright you should put a 100K resistor in the Red, Green and Blue signal path.

Thats from memory tho.
Sic Transit Gloria Atari
nobbysnuts
Pilot Officer

Post by nobbysnuts »

thanks Womble Ill try it with resistors first on an old tv
nobbysnuts
Pilot Officer

WILL THIS MONITOR WORK

Post by nobbysnuts »

SORRY LAST QUESTION ON THIS SUBJECT ,HI GUYS IVE GOT THE CHANCE OF A PHILIPS MONITOR PREVIOUSLY USED WITH AN AMIGA A1200 WILL THIS BE COMPATABLE IF I MAKE A LEAD?
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: WILL THIS MONITOR WORK

Post by Dbug »

nobbysnuts wrote:SORRY LAST QUESTION ON THIS SUBJECT ,HI GUYS IVE GOT THE CHANCE OF A PHILIPS MONITOR PREVIOUSLY USED WITH AN AMIGA A1200 WILL THIS BE COMPATABLE IF I MAKE A LEAD?
Most probably :)
Do you have the reference model/type of the monitor ?

If it's a real rgb monitor, you only need the 4 wires, no transistor, just direct wire to wire connection. Pixel perfect quality, dumb easy to do :)
nobbysnuts
Pilot Officer

Post by nobbysnuts »

HI not sure of model its listed on EBAY but the guys away and unable to answer questions the ebay uk number is 270078360792 if anyone recognises model can they let me Know many thanks Ian