Jasmin time

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
Chema
Game master

Jasmin time

Post by Chema » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:49 pm

Hi everyone!

A friend of mine got his hands on a Jasmin disk interface and has been playing with it.

First the bad news. Blake's 7 is not working. It does on the emulator (both Euphoric and Oricutron, that is), but does not pass beyond the 'BOOTING TDOS' (was that it?) message. I have to ask for some testing to see if I can figure out where it gets stuck, but I'd bet the booting sector routines work, but not the ones in the game (from floppy builder) don't. I thought they were equivalent, but the tricks to make them compatible with Jasmin and Microdisk may be failing at some point. I need to have a look.

Second thing is a question... does anybody know a way to transfer SEDORIC or ORICDOS disks or disk images to use with a Jasmin? There are utilities for creating game compilation disks, but all of them use the SEDORIC disk format, which is not readable by TDOS. Is there an easy way to create a JASMIN disk or disk image? I declare my completely lack of any knowledge about this system.

Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Jasmin time

Post by Dbug » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:53 pm

I'm not a Jasmin expert at all, never actually used one, sorry!

iss
Squad Leader

Post by iss » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:36 pm

@Chema: I didn't looked at your last modifications in FloppyBuilder, but from your explanation I suspect where can be the problem. Can you try the attached image with the real Jasmin? It should work with Microdisk too and contains some read tests and a write test after them.
Else unfortunately, I don't have Jasmin hardware and I'm not familiar with it at all. But I know for sure that jorodr has one and I can borrow it for test.
Attachments
testfbs.dsk.zip
(31.02 KiB) Downloaded 49 times

romualdl
Officer Cadet

Post by romualdl » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:39 pm

Hi there,

Have 1 ou 2 Jasmin 2 here, had used them to dump some Oric Jasmin disk to the PC -how I don't remember) but never used them the other way if I remember well (it was looonnnng ago).

Chema
Game master

Post by Chema » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:12 pm

iss wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:36 pm
@Chema: I didn't looked at your last modifications in FloppyBuilder, but from your explanation I suspect where can be the problem. Can you try the attached image with the real Jasmin? It should work with Microdisk too and contains some read tests and a write test after them.
Else unfortunately, I don't have Jasmin hardware and I'm not familiar with it at all. But I know for sure that jorodr has one and I can borrow it for test.
I will ask my friend to test it whenever he has time, but I would really appreciate any clue about where the problem is. The code I use not only works on real Microdisc and emulated Jasmin, but also avoids the Telestrat bug, which is the trickiest part. It may add some cycles, so there might be some timing issues which affect only the Jasmin... don't know.

iss
Squad Leader

Post by iss » Mon May 06, 2019 2:50 pm

Okay, thanks to jorodr now I have in my hands working Jasmin.
The good news are it's very stable and works perfect with ft-dos.
The bad news are clear: B7 (v1.1,v.1.2,v1.3) and my modifications don't work :(.
This is actually not so bad because there are at-least two of us motivated to solve the issue :)
Definitely the first sector is loaded and executed and that's it so far. I'll start to create kind of debugging code to guess where things fail.
Any ideas and sample code how to detect the failure are welcome - the sooner the better!

Chema
Game master

Post by Chema » Mon May 06, 2019 3:56 pm

Great, as I said in the other thread :P

The code of B7 is in the repository, and it was double checked by Fabrice. It also works on the emulators (both Oricutron and Euphoric).

And it would be nice, once this is done, to investigate the disk structure...